Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you get yourself for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

That's funny - do you have to use a paddle brace for the gusts, you know - so you don't tip over?

in whitewater I was known for being unsinkable on my right side --- used a scully stroke PB, the gift that keeps on giving :-)

im guessing if your already at speed and you get hit by a side gust on the sail then all you have to do is drag a blade at an angle for bracing, that's what i do in the river if I have momentum...
    Well, it's complicated. The short answer is yes, if I'm ruddering on the lee side. I'm also an old whitewater hand and have pretty good reflexes left over. It's an odd rig. I had a long chat with the designers and they said they designed using that type of sail so that as you heel it spills way more wind than a normal sail would so it's actually self correcting. The other weirdness of it is the leeboard system in place of a keel or centerboard. Dunno if you know much sailing theory, but on multi-sail boats you want to trim the sails so that the pressure balances on the keel and you need very little rudder action to steer straight. But on this one you don't trim the sails, you trim the leeboards! By moving them fore and aft you can actually alter course. So sometimes I barely have to rudder.

That said, I had a close call my last time out. I was on a nice beam reach back to my put-in and decided to troll for stripers. As I cast the rod out the wind gusted and I went wayyyy over to leeward! The spilling sails and those whitewater instincts saved me, it was just like getting your rail caught by an eddyline, and my body heaved way out to windward. Put the fear of God in me alright! I was in a drysuit but it still would have been quite the swim getting it back over and back in.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    For myself, for Christmas? So far, nothing.

But after two hurricanes this year and several more in prior years and too many evacuation trips for my old body, I am trying to put together a down payment and a way of financing a whole house generator. My property seems to be immune to flooding; one of those hurricanes dumped 40 inches of rain on it. But with all the trees around here, the power goes out at the slightest breeze. We recently lost power for about four hours in what was just a normal rain storm.

So next time a hurricane comes this way I plan to hunker down and ride it out with my own power. A generator will be the best Christmas present I can imagine. I hope I can get one before the next hurricane season. There is a long back-log.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    I got some new Baffin winter boots, and a fridge. I got a the wife a heated blanket and some rechargeable hot pockets. I guess the unofficial theme this year was hot and cold lol. I also Sneakily finished installing the water line to it today, so you could say I also got her a cold glass of "door" water for the morning .

Merry Christmas everyone.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Been wanting a pattern torch for years, but never had the chance at one turning up at auction. Then about a month ago I was strolling through Amazon looking for something else when I spotted this at a stupid cheap price.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Bented
    replied
    Hookers and blow.
    Also a 35" monitor for CAD work, the hookers were more fun indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Rustybolt
    replied
    Milwaukee 1/2 and 2/8 cordless impact tools

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Maybe I'll give myself tickets to Hawaii. I heard that everybody gets lei-ed there...

Leave a comment:

• BWS
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post

Me too this next year . Worked on rear fender shown on xs 650 below. That was a year ago, need to get back onto that stuff..
    754,I "may" have some XS parts,will look around. Can't remember where they came from, but they're yours for shipping. May take awhile to find'm.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by BWS View Post
    Made a nice mallet today,out of a baseball bat. It's for a new shot,beater bag bought a week ago. Used a 16" framing hammer handle.

Am really going to take metal shaping more seriously in the coming year. Have an English wheel(ho made).... now the leather bag. Gonna snag a pneumatic planishing hammer in a few weeks.
    Me too this next year . Worked on rear fender shown on xs 650 below. That was a year ago, need to get back onto that stuff..

Leave a comment:

• BWS
    replied
    Ho ho ho.... it's a nice EW. Hung it off the side of a 20T H frame press,to form an "L" in plan view,all painted to match of course. I use the Hyd press right much. The EW doesn't get used,enough. Hoping to change that?

Making the final tweaks on a 1910 bead roller too. Bought a HF bead roller as well. Two rollers are way nicer than one.

Looking forward to the planishing hammer.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by BWS View Post
    Made a nice mallet today,out of a baseball bat. It's for a new shot,beater bag bought a week ago. Used a 16" framing hammer handle.

Am really going to take metal shaping more seriously in the coming year. Have an English wheel(ho made).... now the leather bag. Gonna snag a pneumatic planishing hammer in a few weeks.
    I didn't know a ho could make an English Wheel...

Leave a comment:

• BWS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmayaa
    replied
    Bought 2 Husky 72” mobile work benches with 18 draws to replace the map cabinets I’ve been using for tool and hardware storage.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Originally posted by rickyb View Post
    Not sure if it’s spelled laid or layed, but I sure am looking forward to it.
    I'm sure you'll find that it's all spelled out in "A study in Bricklaying"

Bought myself a Mitutoyo Absolute 6" caliper. I had one of the coolant-proof versions previously and use it alternately between my workshop (doing stuff - in theory) and my office (planning stuff - when I'm supposed to be working). It was never in the right place, of course, so now I have an ordinary version for the "clean" space and a coolant-proof version for the ...less than clean place. Hey, it was on sale....it would have been rude not to, right?!

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

I bought myself 2 sets of master jaws for my 2 Chick milling vises.

-Doozer
    Last edited by Doozer; 12-29-2020, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X