Looks like a nice lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dian View Post
    the question "what kind of bearings" has remained unanswered (exept for some speculation as to where they might come from).
    Stated to be tapered roller bearings (from Germany). No speculation, it's an actual statement.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Stated to be tapered roller bearings (from Germany). No speculation, it's an actual statement.
      Post #91 says otherwise.

Parts list says 32009 FAG.

FAG must be made in Germany, right...............................

Click image for larger version

Name:	FAGBearingChina.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1918842
      Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 12-29-2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Post 91 seems to be about economics, apples and oranges..............????????

From the description

"To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, this lathe is equipped with German spindle bearings."

elsewhere it is stated to be roller bearings.

Whoever posted the other info contradicting that must have a source, no? Otherwise they are just saying "those folks are lying".
        Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

From the description

"To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, this lathe is equipped with German spindle bearings.".
          I would hope that they are good quality but honestly that description doesn’t really say very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

Post #91 says otherwise.

Parts list says 32009 FAG.

FAG must be made in Germany, right...............................

Click image for larger version

Name:	FAGBearingChina.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1918842
            Thats what I was saying before : I had to deal with FAG bearings from Korea at my old job. The solution was to start specifying SKF bearings throughout.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• I'm confused, post 91 is mine that set Jerry off

Comment

• Now I am confused too, please ignore my reference to #91

Comment

• o.k., so after all the discussion we find the lathe has the cheapest kind of bearings abec1/p0, right? are these car axle bearings or even below that quality? lathe is junk.

Comment

• Originally posted by dian View Post
                    o.k., so after all the discussion we find the lathe has the cheapest kind of bearings abec1/p0, right? are these car axle bearings or even below that quality? lathe is junk.
                    Jumping to conclusions.

That picture of the box does not seem to say 32009 anywhere on it. I think it was just an illustration that FAG may be made in china, although the big "wheel bearing" label does neatly play into the alternate narrative that a 7 x 12 is a better lathe than this. It "got" you, for instance........

https://medias.schaeffler.us/product...%20Information

And, most bearings, including these, are available in several classes, so the catalog is just a starting point. You can follow the links and get to the various classes available.

Comment

• i relied on post #107, looked up the bearing and thats my conclusion.

edit: its however a fact that ordinary bearings have become much more accurate in the last few decades, too lazy to look it up, but i guess abec1,2,3 are the same today.
                      Last edited by dian; 12-30-2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• If you had to replace the bearings you can buy non-Chinese** FAG 32009 for $4 on Alibaba.

**Made in Hungary.

Comment

"To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, this lathe is equipped with German spindle bearings."
                          German is a Chinese brand name, not a country

Comment

• I'm quite certain that the $4 (with free postage) bearings on "alibaba" are "exactly the same as a genuine one, just less expensive". "We lose a little on each one but make it up on volume"......

Yup, that's a sure thing πŸ™„πŸ™„

I expect the people who made those ARE "hungary".... they don't get fed very well in those chinese prisons.

Originally posted by dian View Post
                            i relied on post #107
                            That was your first mistake. 😁😏

Comment

• When I bought the bearings for the R8 spindle in the Tom Senior light vertical mill, the bottom metric taper roller was an SKF with made in Germany on it. The top bearing was a Timken imperial size the same as the original, the inner race was made in the USA and the outer race was made in France. So far everything runs better than expected.

Comment

Working...
                              X