Fresh CL find locally Hendey lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh CL find locally Hendey lathe

This is a craigslist item, I have nothing to do with it, but I post it for anyone if interested
    A couple of the pictures made me chuckle, YMMV
    this is close to me I might be convinced to go inspect
    the QCGB looks like you need to stand on a ladder to change gears
    the carriage hand wheel looks like you need 2 hands for it
    it says it was used for years, but not say what years
    Anybody else have a comment?

​​​​​​https://savannah.craigslist.org/tls/...250942773.html

What were the T slots used for on the front of the carriage on either side?

Comment

Pre tiebar hendey, pre 1900.

Comment

belongs in the CL funnies.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I like the overhead QCGB !!

Comment

"Effing-Ham" ?
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              belongs in the CL funnies.
              Yeah, that price is off by an order of magnitude.

Comment

I like the "it's been used for years to make bushings, spacers to eternal parts for tractors and farm equipment". That lathe hasn't even been used in years.

$1,500 - is that Zimbabwean dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                  What were the T slots used for on the front of the carriage on either side?
                  A lot of lathes from that era, and later for that matter, had T-slots on the saddle. Those were used for bolting fixtures to the saddle for doing operations like line boring castings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCJV95ZsdY

There was an old photo floating around that featured a 16" bore steam engine cylinder bolted to the carriage of a 16" Lodge &Shipley lathe being bored between centers.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What do the experts think it's worth?

Comment

for $1500, maybe you could barter for the vice-grip on the motor mount ! !

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

A lot of lathes from that era, and later for that matter, had T-slots on the saddle. Those were used for bolting fixtures to the saddle for doing operations like line boring castings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCJV95ZsdY

There was an old photo floating around that featured a 16" bore steam engine cylinder bolted to the carriage of a 16" Lodge &Shipley lathe being bored between centers.
                        Thanks, I have seen the T slots before and operations of them in use. Those ones in particular looked a little off as I thought they were the only ones. I re-looked at the pics and saw some slots in the back that I didn’t see before.

Comment

Looks like a useable lathe . I am guessing 14 inch or so.. might do a bit of work.
                          buying a newer smaller one that won't do parts you need is not a solution for some.
                          I have seen a much older one with less features a guy wanted to try to set up.. it a round disc with rows of bumps on it to drive feeds..very primitive..
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Price is high for sure. But by how much it's high would depend on prices in that area. I'm in one of the higher priced regions and it's still high for out here by a lot. But if it's in reasonable condition under all that dry dusty muck it would likely go for $600 to $700.

But the lack of any oiler cups in the head stock bearings doesn't fill me with much faith on it having been treated right while it labored on with the farm repairs. Even if it was oiled before each use the open holes for the oil like it has would allow dirt and swarf into the bearing so it's likely all scored to heck and back in there. And the overall dusty condition which has obviously been how it's been for many years similarly doesn't make me feel good for the condition of the bed and carriage ways.

They guy that put the old transmission on top thought a lot like my Dad. His old similar size South Bend used a car transmission with motor mounted in much the same way in an overhead setup like this one.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I started to say it's a museum piece, but thought better of it. Just wait till the price of scrap is up, and then scrap it.

Sarge41

Comment

Working...
                              X