Mounting grinding wheels/stones to a taper shafted tool post grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting grinding wheels/stones to a taper shafted tool post grinder

I have a small tool post grinder with a tapered shaft for ID grinding. How does one properly mount a grinding stone. If a stone slips, it grinds into the tapered spindle, BTDT. Are there special tapered ID stones? Could I make an aluminum tapered bore sleeve and then bond the sleeve into a larger ID stone? The TPG has a second spindle asm for external grinding where the stone/blotter is pushed against a flange and a nut/washer on the opposite side of the stone/blotter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TPG taper spindle.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	844.4 KB
ID:	1918731 Click image for larger version

Name:	TPG taper spindle close-up.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	1918732
    Metro Detroit

Heat up some pitch?

Comment

Are you certain that is not a removable arbor? In some cases the entire length may be removable and replaceable.

it also may be a replaceable quill assembly, in which case you do not have the one for straight shaft / normal wheels.

You might make a tapered ID adapter to fit, with the OD to suit your wheel. The taper might turn out to be something do-able, like same as a taper pin, for which there are reamers.
      Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2020, 12:54 AM.
      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

It would be nice to see some more details, like the other end of the shaft and the name plate on the grinder.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
          I have a small tool post grinder with a tapered shaft for ID grinding. How does one properly mount a grinding stone. If a stone slips, it grinds into the tapered spindle, BTDT....
          You need a washer between the back of the stone and the spindle extension.
          What is BTDT? Some partisan code?
          DZER

Comment

I guess been there done that, a bit cryptic. I was going to respond WKOGIIAHITESM (what kind of grinder is it and how is the existing stone mounted, spelled out for those not hip enough )
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-29-2020, 10:43 AM.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I would see whether that spindle extension is removable. Pushing the stones up the taper is a sure way to make mini grenades.

Comment

BTDT is Been There, Done That.

The arbor is surely removable, I would just make some new ones with a nut. These are a couple from my toolpost grinder.

Name:	20200904_181040.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1918827

Comment

Yep, that is the usual form.

I have also seen forms that go right through a hollow shaft, and have a nut at the back. Both types have a taper to seat them in the shaft.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by johansen View Post
                    Heat up some pitch?
                    Or better yet, read the manual for your grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Probably never got one. Most of my equipment never came with one, I got a few of them from other sources.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        It would be nice to see some more details, like the other end of the shaft and the name plate on the grinder.
                        Paul:

Two TPGs (Tool Post Grinders, spelled out for Doozer). First one is a no name with a Kenmore sewing machine motor. I'm guessing it may have been a kit aimed at hobbyist decades ago. The second TPG is a small Dumore. Both have the tapered spindle for internal grinding.

Name:	small TPG 4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	1918967 Click image for larger version

Name:	small TPG.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	567.3 KB
ID:	1918968 Click image for larger version

Name:	dumore motor plate.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	1918971 Click image for larger version

Name:	dumore.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	1918970
                        Attached Files
                        Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

I'm a bottom feeder, most of my tools were bought used, the TPG with the sewing machine motor was bought on eBay shortly after Al Gore finished inventing the internet. Not likely to find a manual for something that has no name brand on it.
                          Metro Detroit

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the taper is for clearance, and not for mounting a stone on.

You should have a couple of small flanges that fit on the screw, as shown in the bottom piece below:

Comment

Ah, you DO have two quills for the one, so it is not just a removable "insert" as per the other pic. I'd say you need a different pulley for the other quill, as it is for a larger and therefore slower wheel. The mount for that one sorta reminds me of Dumore also, actually more so than the actual Dumore does.... looks a lot like mine, other than having a replaceable quill. Similar to the series 57, only looks smaller.

If it were a 57, there would be a couple insert spindle attachments like what Andywander shows, for the internal spindle

I do not know what the nominal speed for that sewing machine motor is, but if you do, you can figure the pulley sizes to remain under the max unloaded wheel speeds. My Series 44 has 5 various pulleys to cover a range of allowable speeds for external and internal grinding, depending on wheel size, between 6600 and 38500 rpm.

Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2020, 11:39 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X