Mounting grinding wheels/stones to a taper shafted tool post grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andywander View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the taper is for clearance, and not for mounting a stone on.

You should have a couple of small flanges that fit on the screw, as shown in the bottom piece below:

andywanderer

Thank you for posting the images of the spindles. Neither of my spindles has a flange on the end but a loose washer might serve the same purpose. But if I mounted a stone between the two flanges of the lower spindle in your image, the fastener would be the spindle axis. In my case either an 6-32 or an 8-32 (don't remember). That would scare me - I see the stone whipping for a second or two before the fastener failed from fatigue. I am looking to mount something in the 3/4 inch diameter by 1/4 inch wide as a grinding wheel/stone. Maybe the spindle is intended for something sized like a Dremel accessory.
    Metro Detroit

Comment

This may give some indication of what you can mount on which.....

https://www.dumoretools.com/document...structions.pdf
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post

.... I see the stone whipping for a second or two before the fastener failed from fatigue. ....
        If your stone is running that out of true, Stop. Something is wrong.
        You might have 5 or 10 thousandths of runout before dressing.
        Any more, you need to investigate things.
        And do your initial dress at the lowest speed.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          This may give some indication of what you can mount on which.....

https://www.dumoretools.com/document...structions.pdf
          Thank you for posting the link to the instructions - I read thru them quickly and I've saved them off for future in depth reading. The chart on wheel size/thickness/overhang was useful - I just need to scale it down for my grinder.
          Metro Detroit

Comment

The grinder with the sewing machine motor looks like a Dumore, the #4 or 5. You have the casting upside down.
            Your 2AG is looks like it is missing some of the mounting parts. Both appear in a catalog from the mid 30's

Comment

Thank you for posting the link to the instructions - I read thru them quickly and I've saved them off for future in depth reading. The chart on wheel size/thickness/overhang was useful - I just need to scale it down for my grinder.
              Hell yeah.. I can use that info also. Thanks Jerry. JR

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                The grinder with the sewing machine motor looks like a Dumore, the #4 or 5. You have the casting upside down.
                Your 2AG is looks like it is missing some of the mounting parts. Both appear in a catalog from the mid 30's
                reggie_obe

Yes looking at the images provided, I agree the casting looks upside down - that is the way it was configured when I bought it and I never saw it as a potential Dumore or "clone". I searched for Dumore #4 and #5, I found no info at all about the #4. Saw a few links that I followed, but no images, for a Dumore #5 over on PM.

Not visible in the image I attached , but the Durmore 2AG has a dovetail base - above the leg for the rocker arm. Does the catalog give any specific use for this grinder? Could I impose and ask you to take a quick camera phone image of the catalog page? Just a bit curious about the original purpose of the 2AG.
                Metro Detroit

Comment

reggie_obe

Yes looking at the images provided, I agree the casting looks upside down - that is the way it was configured when I bought it and I never saw it as a potential Dumore or "clone". I searched for Dumore #4 and #5, I found no info at all about the #4. Saw a few links that I followed, but no images, for a Dumore #5 over on PM.

Not visible in the image I attached , but the Durmore 2AG has a dovetail base - above the leg for the rocker arm. Does the catalog give any specific use for this grinder? Could I impose and ask you to take a quick camera phone image of the catalog page? Just a bit curious about the original purpose of the 2AG.
                  Hmmm.
                  I have two Dumore grinders. Maybe a 4 and 5 . \

Both too big for my lathe. Oh well.. I tried,, JR

Comment

Working...
                  X