X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eKretz
    replied
    BTDT is Been There, Done That.

The arbor is surely removable, I would just make some new ones with a nut. These are a couple from my toolpost grinder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_181040.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1918827

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    I would see whether that spindle extension is removable. Pushing the stones up the taper is a sure way to make mini grenades.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    I guess been there done that, a bit cryptic. I was going to respond WKOGIIAHITESM (what kind of grinder is it and how is the existing stone mounted, spelled out for those not hip enough )
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-29-2020, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by aribert View Post
    I have a small tool post grinder with a tapered shaft for ID grinding. How does one properly mount a grinding stone. If a stone slips, it grinds into the tapered spindle, BTDT....
    You need a washer between the back of the stone and the spindle extension.
    What is BTDT? Some partisan code?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    It would be nice to see some more details, like the other end of the shaft and the name plate on the grinder.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Are you certain that is not a removable arbor? In some cases the entire length may be removable and replaceable.

it also may be a replaceable quill assembly, in which case you do not have the one for straight shaft / normal wheels.

You might make a tapered ID adapter to fit, with the OD to suit your wheel. The taper might turn out to be something do-able, like same as a taper pin, for which there are reamers.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2020, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johansen
    replied
    Heat up some pitch?

Leave a comment:

• Mounting grinding wheels/stones to a taper shafted tool post grinder

I have a small tool post grinder with a tapered shaft for ID grinding. How does one properly mount a grinding stone. If a stone slips, it grinds into the tapered spindle, BTDT. Are there special tapered ID stones? Could I make an aluminum tapered bore sleeve and then bond the sleeve into a larger ID stone? The TPG has a second spindle asm for external grinding where the stone/blotter is pushed against a flange and a nut/washer on the opposite side of the stone/blotter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TPG taper spindle.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	844.4 KB
ID:	1918731 Click image for larger version

Name:	TPG taper spindle close-up.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	1918732
Working...
X