• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by aribert View Post

reggie_obe

Yes looking at the images provided, I agree the casting looks upside down - that is the way it was configured when I bought it and I never saw it as a potential Dumore or "clone". I searched for Dumore #4 and #5, I found no info at all about the #4. Saw a few links that I followed, but no images, for a Dumore #5 over on PM.

Not visible in the image I attached , but the Durmore 2AG has a dovetail base - above the leg for the rocker arm. Does the catalog give any specific use for this grinder? Could I impose and ask you to take a quick camera phone image of the catalog page? Just a bit curious about the original purpose of the 2AG.
    Hmmm.
    I have two Dumore grinders. Maybe a 4 and 5 . \

Both too big for my lathe. Oh well.. I tried,, JR

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    The grinder with the sewing machine motor looks like a Dumore, the #4 or 5. You have the casting upside down.
    Your 2AG is looks like it is missing some of the mounting parts. Both appear in a catalog from the mid 30's
    reggie_obe

Yes looking at the images provided, I agree the casting looks upside down - that is the way it was configured when I bought it and I never saw it as a potential Dumore or "clone". I searched for Dumore #4 and #5, I found no info at all about the #4. Saw a few links that I followed, but no images, for a Dumore #5 over on PM.

Not visible in the image I attached , but the Durmore 2AG has a dovetail base - above the leg for the rocker arm. Does the catalog give any specific use for this grinder? Could I impose and ask you to take a quick camera phone image of the catalog page? Just a bit curious about the original purpose of the 2AG.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied

Thank you for posting the link to the instructions - I read thru them quickly and I've saved them off for future in depth reading. The chart on wheel size/thickness/overhang was useful - I just need to scale it down for my grinder.
    Hell yeah.. I can use that info also. Thanks Jerry. JR

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    The grinder with the sewing machine motor looks like a Dumore, the #4 or 5. You have the casting upside down.
    Your 2AG is looks like it is missing some of the mounting parts. Both appear in a catalog from the mid 30's

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    This may give some indication of what you can mount on which.....

https://www.dumoretools.com/document...structions.pdf
    Thank you for posting the link to the instructions - I read thru them quickly and I've saved them off for future in depth reading. The chart on wheel size/thickness/overhang was useful - I just need to scale it down for my grinder.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

.... I see the stone whipping for a second or two before the fastener failed from fatigue. ....
    If your stone is running that out of true, Stop. Something is wrong.
    You might have 5 or 10 thousandths of runout before dressing.
    Any more, you need to investigate things.
    And do your initial dress at the lowest speed.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    This may give some indication of what you can mount on which.....

https://www.dumoretools.com/document...structions.pdf

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied
    Originally posted by andywander View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the taper is for clearance, and not for mounting a stone on.

You should have a couple of small flanges that fit on the screw, as shown in the bottom piece below:

andywanderer

Thank you for posting the images of the spindles. Neither of my spindles has a flange on the end but a loose washer might serve the same purpose. But if I mounted a stone between the two flanges of the lower spindle in your image, the fastener would be the spindle axis. In my case either an 6-32 or an 8-32 (don't remember). That would scare me - I see the stone whipping for a second or two before the fastener failed from fatigue. I am looking to mount something in the 3/4 inch diameter by 1/4 inch wide as a grinding wheel/stone. Maybe the spindle is intended for something sized like a Dremel accessory.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Ah, you DO have two quills for the one, so it is not just a removable "insert" as per the other pic. I'd say you need a different pulley for the other quill, as it is for a larger and therefore slower wheel. The mount for that one sorta reminds me of Dumore also, actually more so than the actual Dumore does.... looks a lot like mine, other than having a replaceable quill. Similar to the series 57, only looks smaller.

If it were a 57, there would be a couple insert spindle attachments like what Andywander shows, for the internal spindle

I do not know what the nominal speed for that sewing machine motor is, but if you do, you can figure the pulley sizes to remain under the max unloaded wheel speeds. My Series 44 has 5 various pulleys to cover a range of allowable speeds for external and internal grinding, depending on wheel size, between 6600 and 38500 rpm.

Last edited by J Tiers; 12-29-2020, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andywander
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that the taper is for clearance, and not for mounting a stone on.

You should have a couple of small flanges that fit on the screw, as shown in the bottom piece below:

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied

Or better yet, read the manual for your grinder.

I'm a bottom feeder, most of my tools were bought used, the TPG with the sewing machine motor was bought on eBay shortly after Al Gore finished inventing the internet. Not likely to find a manual for something that has no name brand on it.

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    It would be nice to see some more details, like the other end of the shaft and the name plate on the grinder.
    Paul:

Two TPGs (Tool Post Grinders, spelled out for Doozer). First one is a no name with a Kenmore sewing machine motor. I'm guessing it may have been a kit aimed at hobbyist decades ago. The second TPG is a small Dumore. Both have the tapered spindle for internal grinding.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	small TPG 4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	1918967 Click image for larger version

Name:	small TPG.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	567.3 KB
ID:	1918968 Click image for larger version

Name:	dumore motor plate.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	1918971 Click image for larger version

Name:	dumore.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	1918970
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

Probably never got one. Most of my equipment never came with one, I got a few of them from other sources.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by johansen View Post
    Heat up some pitch?

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Yep, that is the usual form.

I have also seen forms that go right through a hollow shaft, and have a nut at the back. Both types have a taper to seat them in the shaft.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X