Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Way To Keep Your Chuck Clean

Especially on grinders.

It's called................... "Bonnets DE' Douche" Yea, no kidding !

Just stretch it over the chuck, make a small slit and slip it over the part. Pull it tight and use a rubber band behind the chuck to help hold it in place and wad up the excess. Completely seals the chuck off from all the grit and dust, front and back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201229-125031.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	1918873

Name:	IMG-20201229-125126.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	1918874

Those little cheap disposable shower caps, they work great.

I just cleaned that 4 jaw during the summer. Don't want to take it apart and clean it again for a while.

They might stretch enough to use on an 8" chuck. I think they come in different sizes too.

JL..................

Should work....

Mine get dirty from those boring jobs.... Maybe a cap for the back of the part?
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

good idea for when you've just rebuilt and oiled a 3 jaw too

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Should work....

I usually put some masking tape on the end of what ever I'm boring through to prevent all that swarf from getting pushed out into the center of the chuck where it get slung all over the place. I kind of push the tape so it concave out just a bit if I have to bore completely through. If the insert hits it it won't tear it off. Only problem with this is the tube can load up with swarf and require more frequent cleaning.

The other thing I do is put a cardboard disc behind the tube. Cut the disc slightly bigger than the part in the chuck so it stays put. I have a collection of various size cardboard discs.

JL.............

Comment

I am going to call someone a Douche Bonnet.
          Just waiting for the most appropriate opportunity.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Judging from the wear on that wheel and the condition of the grinder, I can't possibly see how that chuck would ever get dirty!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              Judging from the wear on that wheel and the condition of the grinder, I can't possibly see how that chuck would ever get dirty!
              You would be surprised what finds it's way into that chuck. I spent over 3 hours this past summer cleaning it. The jaws came right out but I couldn't get the worms out. The spindle for the worms are pressed into the back of the chuck and held in place by a small set screw that is threaded between teh chuck body and pin. Great way to hold it in place but not so when it comes time to put it back together. I don't think I would have been able to get it to line back up again so since the pins didn't want to tap out I left them. Spent a lot of time in there with Q-tips etc. So now I'm going to try and keep it as clean as possible.

How is a worn wheel supposed to look???

JL..............

Comment

. . .Mine get dirty from those boring jobs....
                Mine used to. For the last three years I've used an air-jet at the back of the spindle which keeps everything flowing out the front. It's just a nozzle with a ball valve on a bracket that puts the jet in the center of the spindle. The venturi effect provides high mass flow at low pressure with minimal air usage. The bracket is mounted on the rear gear cover and when I need pass-through I just swing the cover back and the jet goes with it.
                Southwest Utah

Comment

That boss sticking out from the grinding wheel looks like it would hit the chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                    That boss sticking out from the grinding wheel looks like it would hit the chuck.
                    You mean my shop made balancing hub????

Just clears it by about 1/8". That's something else I have to watch out for during set up's. I always use the table stop for safety. Everything seem to be in the way on a T&C grinder. That's why I don't use the wheel guard.

I made them in two sizes. The larger one is for the surface grinder. I made three of each. Best thing I ever did.

Name:	Image065.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1919068

JL.................
                    Last edited by JoeLee; 12-30-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I wonder of the balancer could be positioned on the other side of the grinding wheel?

Comment

Should work....

You should try including the chuck in your more interesting activities so it won't get bored and start doing those dirty things off by itself then. Perhaps start by telling inspiring stories as you work? And if it continues seek therapy for the chuck to re-direct its libido?
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

Mine used to. For the last three years I've used an air-jet at the back of the spindle which keeps everything flowing out the front. It's just a nozzle with a ball valve on a bracket that puts the jet in the center of the spindle. The venturi effect provides high mass flow at low pressure with minimal air usage. The bracket is mounted on the rear gear cover and when I need pass-through I just swing the cover back and the jet goes with it.
                          Now THAT is a Class A Internet Gold Star of the Week idea right there! ! ! ! ! A quick connect fitting to a ball valve to a small diameter nozzle on a bracket attached to the rear cover

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

How is a worn wheel supposed to look???

JL..............
                            Hey, lighten up! note the winky face - I was kidding you. You have beautiful machines and look after them to perfection. Wish I could say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

Hey, lighten up! note the winky face - I was kidding you. You have beautiful machines and look after them to perfection. Wish I could say the same.
                              No problem.......... I was just curious as to your thoughts of what worn wheel was supposed to look like. Usually they just get smaller in dia.

JL...............

Comment

Working...
                              X