Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free to good home

Mitutoyo 6 in caliper
    Not in bad shape, lens is scratched, but can be read, probably can be polished up. Know some one just starting out or a kid??
    free, you pay to ship
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

You can re-set the dial to zero, stick in a paper clip near the top of the dial.

_D
    DZER

Comment

Yup, know that. Haven’t used these in 20 years. The next user can do that!

Santa Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        You can re-set the dial to zero, stick in a paper clip near the top of the dial.

_D
        Exactly how does one do this? Can the same be done with the dial caliper with two zero points?

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

_D
          Huh? Did I miss something ??
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

Exactly how does one do this? Can the same be done with the dial caliper with two zero points?
            I cannot visualise a dial caliper with two zero points, please post a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post

I cannot visualise a dial caliper with two zero points, please post a picture.
              One example here. Zoom in on the picture. The dial covers 0.2" per revoloution, so there is a zero at 12 o'clock and another at 6 O'Clock:

https://www.grainger.com/product/MIT...-Caliper-4LA89

Comment

You don't use a paper clip. More like a .002 shim that goes between the rack and the gear to make it skip a tooth. Each tooth is .025, so you can move it in increments of .025. The reason they get offset is from dirt in the rack or an impact from dropping that makes it skip a tooth to begin with.
                Kansas City area

Comment

When new, they come with a little key made out of some kind of shim stock
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

How does using a paperclip cause such controversy ?
                    You guys are unreal.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

One example here. Zoom in on the picture. The dial covers 0.2" per revoloution, so there is a zero at 12 o'clock and another at 6 O'Clock:

https://www.grainger.com/product/MIT...-Caliper-4LA89
                      I see, but the needle would only have to point at the top one when the jaws are shut. I assume the calipers are set at an exact length and the dial rotated to be zero with the pointer for using with + - tolerances.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                        You don't use a paper clip. More like a .002 shim that goes between the rack and the gear to make it skip a tooth. Each tooth is .025, so you can move it in increments of .025. The reason they get offset is from dirt in the rack or an impact from dropping that makes it skip a tooth to begin with.
                        Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                        When new, they come with a little key made out of some kind of shim stock
                        Yes, they used to come with a thin shim key to reset the pinion gear. Do the manufacturers still provide one? Haven't bought a set of dial calipers in 30+ years.

I've reset them with a small paperclip, but you need to be very careful not to jam the wire so far under the gear that it bends the pinion shaft. Much safer using the thin shim.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                          Mitutoyo 6 in caliper
                          Not in bad shape, lens is scratched, but can be read, probably can be polished up. Know some one just starting out or a kid??
                          free, you pay to ship
                          Thats a great offer and a nice caliper. A guy, or gal just starting out would love it. Heck, I would love it but I know for a fact there are some others that would use it more often. Good on you!! JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

You might be dissapointed to find that the youth of today would probably turn their noses up at it in favour of a digital caliper.

Comment

In addition to people starting out, this may also be of great benefit to a person with a bad case of the dropsies and limited budget. It says that it's shock proof, but I've managed to drop just about every tool in my shop, occasionally destroying perfectly good tools in the process. I even managed to kill a rare 100% solid state LED flashlight when I dropped it on a concrete floor.

Old age is hard on tools.
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X