Free to good home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old mart View Post
    You might be dissapointed to find that the youth of today would probably turn their noses up at it in favour of a digital caliper.
    I like the dials better than digital. Only nice thing about the digitals is the inch/metric button.

Originally posted by danlb View Post
    In addition to people starting out, this may also be of great benefit to a person with a bad case of the dropsies and limited budget. It says that it's shock proof, but I've managed to drop just about every tool in my shop, occasionally destroying perfectly good tools in the process. I even managed to kill a rare 100% solid state LED flashlight when I dropped it on a concrete floor.

Old age is hard on tools.
    I just recently replaced a very nice set of Mitutoyo dial calipers because they got dropped on the floor.

Comment

I dropped my quill handle off my turret mill on my mini Starrett dividers , that I had to order from Jedburgh Scotland. Bent the heck out of one leg, and a big gouge... managed to get it very straight, but scarred.... lesson learned..

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

I like the dials better than digital. Only nice thing about the digitals is the inch/metric button
        Yep.. I am with you there.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Personally, I still like verniers. I've never had to have one recalibrated - unless I do something really stupid like the time I dropped a 12x12x18" right angle plate on a 12" one! It was a Starrett 123 - the tech wondered what happened to it, but they got it back to me good as new in about a week.

Comment

Dials are better than digitals nearly any day of the week for me. Read just as fast, and you never have to worry about the battery in a dial being dead when you need it. Tempted to claim these, but ive got a shars dial that works wekk enough for everything i grab calipers for

Comment

I hope somebody has taken you up on your generous offer by now Sid.

I like using dials at home out in the garage because they work in the cold, and they never need batteries. Hate using them at work though because I'm always switching between units, and re zeroing for measurements. If I'm doing cad work in the house I prefer digitals. They all have their place. Even verniers. I'd actually love to pick up some vernier calipers to use. I'd almost prefer them to dials for a lot of stuff like inside the mills at work with coolant for quick checks.

Comment

Yes, they were claimed!

Thanks, Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                  You don't use a paper clip. More like a .002 shim that goes between the rack and the gear to make it skip a tooth. Each tooth is .025, so you can move it in increments of .025. The reason they get offset is from dirt in the rack or an impact from dropping that makes it skip a tooth to begin with.
                  Your correct. I have a 6" caliper made by Kanon. It comes with a little tool for doing just that. The tool is nothing more than a piece of shim stock stamped out with a little thumb tab.

JL................

Comment

Always wanted a pair of dial calipers, I only have verniers so far. I work in IT so naturally I eschew technology and don't like digital calipers. But they gotta be metric.

Comment

Working...
                    X