paging david cofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paging david cofer

dave, i've got a friend who's searching for a cheap, relatively big quantity of easy plastic casting stuff done. i remember reading something you said about doing casting stuff automation and we'd like to know if you're interested.

the part is an electrical connector for a hobby video game electronics kit. it's going to be a straight copy of the classic nintendo NES controller port and is fairly easy. just about any plastic will do, but i think the guy would prefer whatever's cheapest and the color black. he's gotten quotes from a bunch of shops in the US and is almost about to go chinese, but i'd rather see it be some bread and butter work for a guy here in the states.

he's looking for 2500-5000 pieces initially. this guy is an absolute genius with electronics and i think his work will be right up your alley anyways. he's written several dozen books on programming and other various computer-related things.

anyways, lemme know if you're interested or shoot him an email at [email protected] and let him know you're the guy paul mentioned.

thanks,
    paul
    -paul

any other takers, perhaps? it seems david hasn't logged on lately...
    -paul

Comment

Paul,

The part you speak of is a simple job for an injection molder once the mold has been made. If you really need help I'm willing to make multiple molds on my CNC. Give an injection molder a mold and number of units and the price will be reasonable.

Comment

If he is going chinese with that quantity, he isn't saving anything.

You need quantity to make that pay, and they are usually not interested in low quantity anyway.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

yeah, i have suspicions that he's missing something on getting a quote on the die(s). the numbers he said they were asking sounded really, really steep. i'm going to ask my boss what he has to say about it next time i go into work...
          -paul

Comment

You usually have a choice in that sort of work.

Pay for the mold separately, own it, and then pay for the molding. Your choice on how many cavities, based on the expected quantity. Higher quantity is lower cost with more, obviously.

Or, some will amortize the mold if they have the quantity visible. That makes the mold cost "invisible" but raises the piece cost.

In china, owning the mold (or anything) is like owning a cloud, so................

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X