A new years childhood memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new years childhood memory

My Dad was a cool guy, the ultimate family man --- used to put on a show for us kids every year and at 12:00 midnight we were allowed to stay up to watch old pops swoosh the broom from one end of the house to the other, open up the back door and kick the old year out - in fact hear the words "and get the hell out!!!" and then slam the door --- then run as fast as he could - get to the front door and open it graciously and take off his hat and wave the new year in with it,,, it really was something to see --- I bet this year the old bird would have kicked the old one out with such vigor he might have fell on his arss, and then laughed about it lol

so here i am --- do I stay up almost 3 more hours to honor the ritual ? ehh, already half lit and i think my dog would think im crazy but just thought id bring it up for "kicks"

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE and to the old year GET THE HELL OUT!!! that line coming directly from the old man!

2 more hours till it GETS THE HELL OUTA HERE...

Comment

It is now 4 hours gone on the pacific coast and GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Happy 2021 everyone!!
      Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

haven't stayed up for it for years, just doesn't rank as something that at all matters....but with little kids, I like what your Dad did to make it a fun event. you told it 20 years too late for me to put into practice though . They're all between 20 and 30 and would think I was a friggin lunatic (more so anyway)

Happy new year - my predication is this year will rock & roll. People are sick of Covid, and just the presence of the vaccine (even though we're still in the thick of the pandemic) will be the catalyst for a mental turning of the page. We've already seen some capital projects come off hold, and the ebbing of the corporate worry on whether the sun will come again. Psychologically business is ready to turn the page and get back to planning for growth and prosperity....and there's a 10 month watershed of projects. I'm hoping for and predicting good times.
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-01-2021, 08:46 AM.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I don't know what you guys are so enthused about. It looks like a repeat of last year to me. Same old crap just a new number on the calendar. :-(
          ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
            I don't know what you guys are so enthused about. It looks like a repeat of last year to me. Same old crap just a new number on the calendar. :-(
            ...lew...
            Lew, I've seen 77 of them, and I'm excited about this one. Got a lathe to restore, a 7 year old grandson to take out to th grasslands and introduce to horned toads, bullheads, and picnic lunch on the tailgate. I'm in the middle of recovering from my second knee replacement, and I'm excited, optimistic, and looking forward to enjoying everything. The VA says it looks good for the covid vaccine in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              haven't stayed up for it for years, just doesn't rank as something that at all matters....but with little kids, I like what your Dad did to make it a fun event. you told it 20 years too late for me to put into practice though . They're all between 20 and 30 and would think I was a friggin lunatic (more so anyway)

Happy new year - my predication is this year will rock & roll. People are sick of Covid, and just the presence of the vaccine (even though we're still in the thick of the pandemic) will be the catalyst for a mental turning of the page. We've already seen some capital projects come off hold, and the ebbing of the corporate worry on whether the sun will come again. Psychologically business is ready to turn the page and get back to planning for growth and prosperity....and there's a 10 month watershed of projects. I'm hoping for and predicting good times.
              I hope you're right. We've got project booked right through March and are telling customers if they want their stuff by Easter we need the order now. Our usual turn-around time is 4-6 weeks for comparison. There's work out there for those who want it, and plenty of it as it seems everyone is playing catch-up. I fear that there may be certain segments of the population/media/government that will be doing their best to drag us down for whatever reason though, 2020 was a year full of fear-mongering and I don't see that stopping quickly.
              Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                ...lew...
                I'm thinking the same here. It could end up even being worse. We'll know in another week or so.

JL.....

Comment

I just sat back, watched Big Ben strike midnight and raised my glass of beer for a new year toast. Things are going to look up as more and more people get vaccinated and the Covid worries diminish.

Comment

I tried to stay up but apparently fell asleep on the couch with 5 to go. Woke up at 12:15 and headed for bed....Sounds like a good show your Dad put on AK, quite a character .

We've started to get back on track here, and can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it's not a train . 2020 taught me a lot about what actually matters in my life, and refocused some goals and priorities. I'm optimistic about 2021 for no other reason than I have to be. The alternative to that is not an option.

Cheers to good health and prosperity for all in 2021!

Comment

Despite the political noise and Covid 19 worries 2020 was actually a very good year for me. I think 2021 is going to be really tough because I can’t see a fast recovery happening. Too many business failures, hospitals overwhelmed, and I think the unemployment numbers are way worse than they seem due to the way they are reported. I am not a terribly social animal so just staying close to immediate family and wearing a mask is no big deal.

Comment

I had just a shadow of 'get the hell out' when I returned home at around noon today. I thought about leaving the door open and opening some windows to ventilate the place, but instead I just stood with the door open for a few seconds longer than I normally would. In my mind at least, an extra 745,834,109 'bad' particles exited the place.

I had two celebrations- one at 9 o-clock when family members 3 hrs ahead of us kicked out the old, and another when it was our turn at midnight. We had them with us on You-Face or whatever that's called. One brother stayed with us until almost 5 am our time, which is 8am in his time. What a trooper.

Out with the old, in with the new. Hope everyone has a great new year!
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                        X