OT: It's crazy day here.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: It's crazy day here.....

Stepped outside and sure enough I can hear a lot from north of here, likely in the next town over. And it's only 11:30 here now.

Single shots, 3 round bursts, full clips manual, and a few full auto. It's raining bullets somewhere up that way. Some of them sound kinda expensive, too.

Some idjits don't seem to pay any attention to the old "what goes up must come down". I hope they pointed that stuff directly up, so it falls on them, it will travel from there to here if t the correct(?) angle..
    2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

correct angle? that got me thinking. it a bullet spinning at 200k gets to the top, is it still spinning and could it be that it doesnt change its position in space and therefore doesnt travel down in a vertical line? it would then kind of fall back to where it came from.
    Last edited by dian; 01-01-2021, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Ballistic trajectory.

Wait till they try to replace the ammo and find out there isn't any for sale anywhere.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Well, it turned 12:00, and it sounds like a serious house to house firefight going on. They don't seem to be too worried. Some of it is fireworks, not all of it.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

No, doesn't work like that. A bullet fired upward travels in an parabolic arc, spinning or no. Unless you're talking about firing perfectly vertical. In which case the bullet will land near where it's fired from only if there's no wind.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
            ......... Unless you're talking about firing perfectly vertical. In which case the bullet will land near where it's fired from only if there's no wind.
            Yep. More of a wish for their own evil to return upon them than anything likely to actually happen. Neighbors down the street did have their windshield broken by someone's fired-in-the-air bullet from july 4th a year back. The craziness is then also.

It's usually from a mile or so north, so just the right elevation will land it here. Does not happen often. But that stuff did come down somewhere, even if not here.

The local folks just have fireworks. Gotta keep an eye out, they are incendiary devices. Luckily, we have sleet and rain tonight, potential good old fashioned St Louis ice storm.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Not bad this year. Probably due to the weather. There was one year, and I don't know what they were shooting, but it sounded like really heavy ordinance, like 40mm semi auto anti aircraft stuff. Lots of full auto, but this is Texas. There was a truck yard just across the street, and it sounded like what you thought was a couple of hailstones hitting the top of the trailers, but the weather was clear.
              Last edited by darylbane; 01-01-2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Yeah that always sucks. The shop I served my apprenticeship in was in a pretty seedy area. On the 4th and New Year's the high quality upstanding citizens that lived in the area would shoot like that. Some years bullets would hit the building. It was a pretty easy target being a tenth of a mile long and three forty-foot bays wide.
                Last edited by eKretz; 01-01-2021, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                  No, doesn't work like that. A bullet fired upward travels in an parabolic arc, spinning or no. Unless you're talking about firing perfectly vertical. In which case the bullet will land near where it's fired from only if there's no wind.
                  The bullet would only land near where its fired if the earth stopped rotating, if it was perfectly vertical

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    It's raining bullets somewhere up that way. Some of them sound kinda expensive, too.
                    Ok, just have to ask... How does the sound of a expensive bullet differ from a inexpensive one?

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

The bullet would only land near where its fired if the earth stopped rotating, if it was perfectly vertical
                      why? the bullet and the air are rotating as well.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

In Buffalo NY, no one fires guns in the air on new years.
                        Must be a red neck thing.

-D
                        DZER

Comment

The only way to not be able to get as much ammo in the USA as you want is to enter the gunshop wearing a mask.

There was a tragic death caused a few years ago of a rifle round from a firing range accidently passing over the butts and striking a man standing on a ladder three miles away. It hit him in the throat and he fell. I dont know what the exact cause of death was.
                          Last edited by old mart; 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I heard a bunch of intermittent fireworks last night, some were serious power but most just huckleberry stuff,,,

when i first got my compound bow I bought some LED lighted nocks, (the tail end where the string engages) they had a slim cylinder battery, you engage it and install the nock and shoot, I went way south out of town - open field and pointed probably at about a 15 degree angle because I did not want to lose the arrow due to the battery getting ejected upon impact inside the arrow and the light going off,
                            Iv got my bow set @ 55lbs for target practice and it put the little bright light temporarily out of sight at the top of it's trajectory arc, then it came back into view a few seconds later, then I had to remember where it landed and use a flashlight to search, even though the angle was small it still was quite the walk...

Comment

I recall a discussion years back suggesting that the bullet returning to the ground would now be at the same velocity it left at. Well, that ignored the limits of terminal velocity. Fast enough, no doubt but not the same fps as it left.
                              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X