Mid-Priced Set of Nut Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Priced Set of Nut Drivers

I would really like to get a couple of sets of nut drivers for my shop, English and metric sizes. Perhaps even two sets as I have a separate electronic work table here in my office. But I want DEEP, hollow shanks: at least 3" or 75mm deep. I just do not see any advantage in having nut drivers when a 1/4" drive socket set, of which I have several, has deeper recesses for the screw/stud than the common nut driver sets do.

There seem to be only a few sets with deep hollows in the shanks, Klein is one. But they all cost $50 or more for a seven or eight piece set. If I am to buy two or four sets, that is just too much. Does anyone know of a decent set of deep hollow nut drivers for a medium price, like perhaps $25 or $30?

If I can not locate such a set, I may just buy one of the inexpensive sets and try to drill out the shanks. Any comments on that would also be welcomed. Chances of success? Best drill bits to use? Etc.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Around here the highways are not real safe due to all the nut drivers.
    sorry. Couldn't resist...

Comment

No idea on the quality but here is a set.

On Edit, I didn’t see the price range, these are more than OPs budget
      Visit The Home Depot to buy Milwaukee SAE Hollow Shaft Nut Driver Set (7-Piece) 48-22-2407
      Last edited by oxford; 01-03-2021, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall seeing a set that had completely hollow shanks and handles so that you could fully run a nut down a length of all thread. Can't remember where, or what the brand might be though.

Comment

Stop being such a cheap bugger, if you REALLY want such tools simply buy them.
          Hand wrench type tools are inexpensive when compared to machine shop and lab tools.
          If it costs you $150.00 for three sets that is less expensive then a single Interapid indicator.

Comment

Dare I suggest the obvious: Harbor Freight...

They do list some of the sets as having hollow shanks, but don't specify how deep the hollow part is. Be worth checking out and if you want a set to try drilling out, that would be as good a place to start as any. In my use anyhow, nut drivers are not used for high torque sorts of work so even the sub-$10 HF ones are probably serviceable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              Does anyone know of a decent set of deep hollow nut drivers for a medium price, like perhaps $25 or $30?

I've been quite satisfied with the set of drivers I got at Autozone. It might be O'Reiley's in your part of the country. Basically, the auto parts store. Mine all have ~4" hollow shanks with acetal handles, color coded. In the price range you seek, with a lifetime warrantee similar to the old Craftsman sets. The brand name on mine is "Duralast" and I have found their products to be worth the money. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have an older USA made Craftsman set. I would watch eBay for a nice used or NOS set, but only USA made.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                  Dare I suggest the obvious: Harbor Freight...

They do list some of the sets as having hollow shanks, but don't specify how deep the hollow part is. Be worth checking out and if you want a set to try drilling out, that would be as good a place to start as any. In my use anyhow, nut drivers are not used for high torque sorts of work so even the sub-$10 HF ones are probably serviceable enough.
                  It’s amazing that everyone wants high quality but no one wants to pay for it.
                  Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                  Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                    There is a big difference between "don't wanna pay for it" and "can't afford it". And in my case, I absolutely refuse to pay for some CEO's 4th vacation home while they are offshoring jobs as fast as possible. Nobody can afford those guys. Literally EVERYTHING I own, was second-hand -- except for the toilet paper, and ammunition. Those are new (for obvious reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                      I'm not suggesting these are high quality. The criteria put forth was "low price and a 3" hollow shaft, possibly by drilling them out" etc. These meet that.
                      If someone wants better quality, they can get the $50 Klein set and be done with it.

Comment

Googling "hollow shaft nut driver set" seems to bring up thousands

Bondhus at Menards - $22.20
                        https://www.menards.com/main/tools/h...5244656347.htm

Pittsburgh at HF - $8.99
                        https://www.harborfreight.com/hollow...-pc-69239.html

KC at Home Depot - $15.58
                        https://www.homedepot.com/p/KC-Profe...7297/308696251

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

If someone wants better quality, they can get the $50 Klein set and be done with it.
                          I've got Klein imperial and metric and do like them - especially th grip and clears size on the top. However Klein's days of quality maybe over. I bought a cable splitter recently, little saws used for breaking BX cable and it was terrible. Parts missing features to the point it was unusable and I sent it back. Clearly labelled made in China but the really piss off is they are still charging lofty Klein prices. I ended up getting a Roto Split which is made in the US and was $2 cheaper. Shame on Klein.

Its just a such a lack of basic business strategy, companies that can't protect their brands like this or the ones that outright squander it like Apex. I can only conclude they are so clueless about their products and customers, they don't think it will be noticed or matter. Well, being clueless about your products and customers is rather indicative of someone not very skilled in at their business isn't it? Sure they'll get a few good years then it'll be stinky....but these brands are worth more than few good years. Probably its most an agency risk problem. You know, execs get such huge performance bonuses its worth it to them to squander the brand....except afaik Klein is privately held
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I have a set of Craftsman nut drivers, forgot all about them until I saw your post. I have a set of SAE and metric. The problem with that set is they only include the standard common sizes in both.
                            Every time I needed one the that size wasn't included in the set, so they got shelved and forgotten. All my small SK socket sets come with nut driver handles and all the sizes of sockets needed so that put an end to the need for a dedicated set of nut drivers.

JL..............

Comment

I have Bondhus and Channellock brands.

The Channellock come in two flavors, the tradition handle hollow shaft ones that are still US made and the more modern tri-lobed handled hollow shaft which are now made in China. I have both styles in my box at work. The tri-lobed are great for mechanical work and feature a striking cap on the handle. The traditional set is best for electrical and other more delicate work.

https://channellock.com/product/nd-7a/
                              https://channellock.com/product/nd-7cb/

I use Bondhus brand at home, also very good and US made, the only complaint I had with them is the plastic handles are a bit slick, but I fixed that with some short sections of bike inner tube slipped over the handles. I will also say the Bondhus warranty is good, they have replaced the couple items I have broken in the last 20 or so years I have been buying and using them.

https://www.bondhus.com/pages/nut-drivers

I would also add that their ball end hex drivers are freaking awesome and they also offer the hard to find extra long variety-

https://www.bondhus.com/pages/ball-end2

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X