Pegboard bins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    The focus this year will be to get all 12,928 🤬 various, bags, boxes and packs of misc hardware sorted out and in just TWO locations.

After years of trying, I finally got all my stuff sorted down to just two locations. Yup! All of it is either over here, or over there. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

I have some 16ga pegboard panels, with good pegs, that actually fit the holes, it will support substantial weight. For that matter the 1/4" tempered Masonite pegboard is also good, if it's installed correctly.

Shelves and drawers are great,*IF* you have room for them. My homeshop is tiny, I have just two 4x6' sections of empty wall left and there are machines parked in front of those.
      Pegboard of any sort restricts the use of the volume in front of them. It's different if that volume is taken up by a machine of some sort. Then using the wall, provided it can be reached, for a pegboard of any sort is better than leaving it bare. The only other situation is if the wall borders a walkway. Then hanging at least something on that wall is better than a bare wall provided it doesn't crowd the aisle way too badly.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
        Pegboard is perfect! Every time I try to pull a screwdriver from my pegboard holders, it detaches, and the wire holder disappears between the wall and the back of the bench. I bet there are a dozen of those back there if I ever crawl under and look. The holes are getting wallowed out too.

A replacement storage system will definitely not include pegboard.
        I've seen a couple of different styles of plastic locking mechanisms made to keep the peg IN the hole. Just Google pegboard peg locks.

Comment

French cleats?

They were invented for high class department store displays where lots of space is available and eye appeal is the primary consideration.

If you think that things like pegboard are a waste of space, French cleats have that beat by a country mile. Sorry, my shop may have a few square feet of pegboard, but it will never have any French cleats.

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
          Something else to consider is French cleats.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I've never seen a problem with insects of any type behind mine. But I never close up the area behind, it is always open at top and bottom. They apparently don't like that. But I have very little problem with "bugs". Saw ONE "bug" (so-called) this year, and it was a huge roach, but it apparently came in when the outdoor tropical plants came in for winter.

The only critters I allow are spiders and centipedes. Both eat "bugs", so I let them do it. The spiders may put a web back there, but I am fine with that.

BTW, cockroaches are not actually "bugs", they are in a different classification.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-09-2021, 02:15 AM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              French cleats?

They were invented for high class department store displays where lots of space is available and eye appeal is the primary consideration.

If you think that things like pegboard are a waste of space, French cleats have that beat by a country mile. Sorry, my shop may have a few square feet of pegboard, but it will never have any French cleats.
              Sorry, Paul, but French cleats were invented by shipbuilders in the 1800's, if not earlier. I highly doubt they were worried about eye-appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Be_Zero_Be View Post
                I put my organizers on a lazy-susan.
                It gives a very high density storage for a small footprint.
                Also, because it rotates, I tend not to stack stuff in front of it to block access.
                I also made racks for my small organizers.
                I have a mini version of that. Yes, it's very efficient.

Wanted to comment late on using pill bottles etc for smaller storage in the bin boxes. I prefer 4 mil ziplocks in various sizes. No wasted space, pick the right size for the fastener, and won't roll off the workstable or spill. I get the ones with the white label writing field from Mcmaster. I used to use dividers in my little plastic drawers of fasteners #10 and under, now there's just a pile of 2"x 4" ziplocks. Also makes it easy to reorganize.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                  I have a mini version of that. Yes, it's very efficient.

Wanted to comment late on using pill bottles etc for smaller storage in the bin boxes. I prefer 4 mil ziplocks in various sizes. No wasted space, pick the right size for the fastener, and won't roll off the workstable or spill. I get the ones with the white label writing field from Mcmaster. I used to use dividers in my little plastic drawers of fasteners #10 and under, now there's just a pile of 2"x 4" ziplocks. Also makes it easy to reorganize.
                  The thicker heavy duty freezer ziplocks might be a more durable upgrade if you're not using them already. Depends on the thickness of the ones from McMaster.

And I agree on the wasted space issue. Pill bottles and old jars are better than nothing. But it does waste the room where the round containers fit against each other. And if there's only a few things in a bigger container it wastes even more space.

For smaller hardware under 1/4" I went with the hinged lid storage trays with the combination of fixed and slotted separators. I can size each pocket to suit the amount and size of fasteners. And all the sizes and head styles are right there to see. And they stack neatly on a shelf. Or for other items neatly in a drawer.

I must have up around 30 of these adjustable organizers with hinged tops in the 11x7x1.4 inch size in a few different brands. The style and size that is the most common for me is THIS ONE FROM HOME DEPOT. From time to time they come on sale in two packs for $7 or three packs for $12 or so. I stock up when that happens so I've always got one or two empty ones on hand. There's likely around a dozen to 15 of these with the hinged black catches from HD. And another dozen with the "flex style" catches from some earlier supplier from years ago.

I also have four of THESE HDX ORGANIZERS. These are larger than the trays above but again very handy and stackable and the price is right at only $6 each. Quality is good on them too. I'd totally trust carrying them around filled with screws, nuts and bolt, nails or whatever you have to carry. I wouldn't throw them around but they are tough enough to stand up to normal handling without any issue.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    French cleats?
                    Perhaps you mean slatwall? https://www.barrdisplay.com/slatwall.html

Comment

Working...
                    X