No announcement yet.

Getting old and forgetful sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the same boat. My memory is shot.

Comment

If you can't remember where you left your keys, that's just old age.
      If you have your keys and can't remember what they do, that's dementia.

Comment

i whish i would forget more to make room for new stuff i want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
          I'm in the same boat. My memory is shot.
          At least you know where the boat is.

Comment

Just before Christmas I found a set of castings for a model stationary steam engine in a box under my bench. So for fun I put the bigger models aside and built the engine.,
            When it came time for an air test found it would only jerk around about half a turn.
            About an hour or so went by looking at every part of it till I realised I had not drilled an exhaust passage,
            Never made that mistake before!!!!!
            Regards David Powell.

Comment

I will never regret getting old. I know too many people who never had that privilege.

Ted

Comment

We all have the doorway effect, also called threshold reset. As time goes on we associate this with losing our mind but relax, we're not.

https://www.healthguidance.org/entry...ay-Effect.html

Comment

Have you seen the commercials for the Prevagen pills? The testimonials are all "I started taking it six or seven years ago and ..." or "I started about six months ago and..."

If I wrote that ad copy, they'd say "I started taking it six years, four months, and 17 days ago. It was a Tuesday..."

Comment

The other day I needed to square up a small piece of steel plate, 3/4" by roughly 2 3/8", so into the mill vise with it, turn the mill on, set the power feed, and away we go.

Wait a second! Why is the end my endmill glowing???

Yeah, I forgot to change the spindle speed...

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                      i whish i would forget more to make room for new stuff i want to know.
                      Isn't that the truth!

Comment

Don't feel so bad Dalee. I just went down a similar path with my sled on the weekend, and almost tore the carbs apart again because I couldn't get it to run over 3000pm after cleaning and reassembling. Turned out when I put them back on, I hooked up the TORS system again, and it was preventing it from reving over 3k and engaging the clutch. There's a reason Yamaha used bullet connectors and it's so easy to bypass.....I had an A HA moment when I realized that I didn't remember unhooking the TPS (it was jumped together) when I pulled them off a few weeks prior. Runs like a top now .

Comment

what wire goes where? thats what cell phone cameras are made for.

as for aging/memory loss.....look on the bright side. At some point, the time dependent memory and quantity tools acquired lines on the graph cross.....then you're in the zone when it feels like Christmas all the time, you're always discovering treasure you didn't even know you owned.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            what wire goes where? thats what cell phone cameras are made for.

as for aging/memory loss.....look on the bright side. At some point, the time dependent memory and quantity tools acquired lines on the graph cross.....then you're in the zone when it feels like Christmas all the time, you're always discovering treasure you didn't even know you owned.
                            Hah! I had the bad habit of buying the odd little thing at Princess Auto that I thought I might use someday or was just a neat little item, no big dollars involved at all, and when I got home I would simply hang the bag on a hook, or as it progressed, several hooks. Every now and then I will go through the contents of the bags on a hook and like you say, discover treasure I didn't know I had.

Comment

Treasures from Princess Auto- I've had the situation where I put everything I've bought away- then I look at the bill and wonder what cost so much. At that point there is nothing in front of me to equate to. At that point I usually just smile, knowing I had a good time there shopping with my friend.

We have a sort of local liquidation place where I can get all kinds of drill bits, gloves, vinyl sheet, paints, materials- I go there as much for the experience of being out with my friend as for the stuff. Every time I'm down $100 or more- all I have to show for the last time I was there was this little $6 torch. Now she's itching to go there again-

To be fair though- I'll need to paint something one day, and behold and lo- I have the paint on hand. And I have the ac plug that I need to replace the broken one- and hey, there's some gloves I can use to protect my hands, and there's those shipping blankets I can use for that acoustic barrier I need to make.

When I can't find something that I know I bought and haven't used, but I need now- ok, I'll see you in the twilight zone-
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X