No announcement yet.

Knurling tool build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drew it in whole numbers, the work is 2" in diameter in the drawing. Did not draw it as a working tool merely an example.
    I work in a machine shop and we do work that is slightly larger then the average hobbyist (-:
    The link is 1.5" from center so about a 3" diameter max.
    With some dimensions

Comment

Bented,
      Thank you again for your quick reply.
      Is there any reason that all your dimensions could not be reduce by 1/3, with the exceptions of the pivot shafts. The tool would still be pretty hefty, and still have a fairly large capacity. The reason for this last questions is that I would be able to build it completely from my scrap box at that smaller size.

Comment

Scale is easily changed with the tapping of a few keys in cad.
        Scaled at .6, leaving the pivot points at 1/2" dia. would leave very little material around the holes but 5/16" 3/8" dia. would work fine.

Comment

The arms minus the notch for the coarse adj. screw.
          DraftSight Pro does not show negative ordinate dimensions, have never tried to make it do so.
          Last edited by Bented; 01-06-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Clever design. If I didn't already have two perfectly adequate knurlers (one straight, one diamond) I'd take this on.

Comment

Bented,

Is there an advantage to designing the arms in a boomerang shape as opposed to gust straight arms with an offset at the ends. I see knurling tool with both shapes for arms.

Comment

Originally posted by rogee07 View Post
                Bented,

Is there an advantage to designing the arms in a boomerang shape as opposed to gust straight arms with an offset at the ends. I see knurling tool with both shapes for arms.
                Not really, however I work in the CNC world where arcs and radii are easily done even when not required.

It is so easy to draw parts that way it becomes habit.

Comment

Originally posted by rogee07 View Post
                  Bented,

Only as the items get bigger and you need the curve to fit around a larger diameter. So maybe needed and maybe not depending on the length of the arms and positioning of the pivot points. Otherwise no advantage and perhaps no need. What MIGHT be needed is a fatter waist around the mid arm pivot pins to ensure enough cross section of metal above and below the pins to not bend or crack under the stress of a tightly clamped set of knurls.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Here's a link to a Marlco knurler that I made https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...54/post-697881

I was going to create a build thread for it, but they wouldn't give me a "build sub forum", so I never did.

The rear lever adds "down feed" to the knurler head. I set mine up for the use for "medium knurls", so mine adds 0.060" when engaged.

Comment

As a size reference this is one the Eagle Rock tools that I often use. A 6" ruler.
                      Last edited by Bented; 01-08-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X