Knurling tool build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bented View Post

304 stainless, the customer specified a finished knurled diameter then turning afterwards to a finish diameter +- .005"
    They did not however specify a starting diameter.
    The part in the above picture is a test specimen, I tried to get another .010" on the knurled diameter but it is obvious that this did not work well so I decreased the start diameter by .015"

Simple knurling wheels are cheap as tooling goes.
    304 is tough. I think it's the added chromium that makes it tough. I ruined a couple good quality HSS dies trying to thread the stuff.
    I switched to 303 which cuts like butter.

So your are doing a full depth knurl and then turning the OD to the customers spec, correct??

Have you thought of doing like a half depth knurl or so which would leave the peak of the diamond with a slight flat spot about the same in appearance as what you would get from turning.
    That would be less stress on the knurls. Once you figure out the depth you should be able to hit the specified OD +- the .005

A customer wouldn't specify a starting dia. that's up to the machinist to figure out.

JL..............

Comment

Exactly, this is why I ran a test parts first, increased the knurl depth until it failed then backed off.
      Near perfect parts by the drawing thereafter.
      Many hobbyists do not however have the resources to do something until it breaks then back off I am told.

Comment

Many hobbyists do not however have the resources to do something until it breaks then back off I am told.
        But we all have tried the time-honored technique for tightening bolts:
        "Tighten it until it feels funny, then back off a bit."

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Exactly, this is why I ran a test parts first, increased the knurl depth until it failed then backed off.
          Near perfect parts by the drawing thereafter.
          Your right, those knurls are about $60 ea.

I'm not sure about turning the peaks off a finished knurl to get to the specified OD. How will that look ? I'm thinking it's going to drag a burr in the direction of the cut requiring further clean up. Especially with 304.

A half depth knurl, or anywhere close to it will give you the same results with perfect consistency and no clean up. You could creep up on the finished dimension this way and not have to worry about overloading the knurls to failure.

I did this test part with a 16 tooth knurl at about half depth, maybe a little less. It give a clean consistent flat top appearance like what you want to get by turning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210326-194936.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.4 KB ID:	1935883

JL...................

Comment

Very specific machining instructions on the customer drawing, surprisingly the finish turning did not result in thousands of tiny burrs as anticipated in the 304 after wire brush deburring.

These are aluminum parts for the same job order with similar machining instructions, far more forgiving (-:

Comment

Originally posted by rogee07 View Post
              I would like to build a copy of
              Hey, that was my go to. I can finish any project, not so good at starting one.

You are off to a great start in my opinion, JR

Comment

I built the Heminmgway knurler a few years ago.
                However, the knurling wheels that come with it are very fine.
                So I got matching knurling wheels from another supplier and installed them.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	1935960

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	1935959

Name:	DSCN0021.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	1935961

Name:	DSCN0017.JPG
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	1935962 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0051.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	1935963
                Many greetings from the southwest of Germany.
                Bruno
                http://www.mueller-bruno.de

Comment

With other knurled wheels made embossing.

Name:	IMG_20200315_135757.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1935965

I don't have a tool for inch measurements. My bolts sins off from 8mm then 1/4" and finally 6mm.

Name:	DSCN0061.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	1935966
                  The original knurling wheels have a 1/4 inch bore.

Many greetings from the southwest of Germany.
                  Bruno
                  http://www.mueller-bruno.de

Comment

Working...
                  X