No announcement yet.

Import 6 Jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might be able to increase the bore by 1/4", but only stripping down the chuck would confirm the wall thickness available.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      NSF, the poor mans style works well for chucks, about 0.008" will probably be enough, and be sure the bolts allow that much movement, also. The only drawback of the Sanou that I can see is that they only include the inside jaws. The two piece jaw type are not available in the smaller sizes.
      Following up to my earlier post, I have found a new Sanou 6-jaw with removable top jaws, in the size I want (125mm) for less than $200.
      I can't see any reason to pass that up, I'm just restraining myself
      (need to make another backing plate...)

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Following up to my earlier post, I have found a new Sanou 6-jaw with removable top jaws, in the size I want (125mm) for less than $200.
        I can't see any reason to pass that up, I'm just restraining myself
        (need to make another backing plate...)
        Just Do-It.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I would be tempted if the Sanou 6 jaw 125mm was available in Blighty with two piece jaws.

As Bob says "just do it".

Comment

I just did it... except I spent a little more for the 8" 2 piece jaw one from Shars along with a pre-machined backplate. The one from Shars has adjusting screws like a Set-Tru. The premachined D1-5 backplate was only about $20 more than rough blank. Still it all added up with shipping and tax to just over a grand. There was an 8" with backplate on Ebay for about 500 with shipping, but it wasn't set tru, and I just wasn't feeling it. I guess the sales puffery on the Shars site hooked me. Of course I will still check the back plate before mounting.

If it is even half as capable as it claims I will probably never mount the 3 jaw again after I get it all setup.

Like all tools I'm sure I'll use it for a lot of things once I have it, but the big reason for the upgrade was to able to make my own tool holders a little faster and easier. (I do make specialty tool holders myself already.)
            Last edited by Bob La Londe; 01-10-2021, 04:16 PM.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I'm already thinking the 3 jaw will get bolted to a flange plate with bolt holes for use on the mills.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                I would be tempted if the Sanou 6 jaw 125mm was available in Blighty with two piece jaws.

As Bob says "just do it".
                The seller (via Ebay) says they ship worldwide. Also I was wrong on the price -- but its still a great deal.
                Take a close look at the sellers last photo. $228 plus very reasonable shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-6-JAW-SEL...IAAOSw~gRV5Fd0

Unfortunately, I have to wait for a bill collector tomorrow, then we will see about getting this 6-jaw afterwards. Medical problems are expensive.
                Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-10-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I'm all excited now...

​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	202-5468main_1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1921247

Comment

Soft jaws, or even a 3 jaw chuck you could make "pie jaws" giving you the advantage of a 6 jaw with a 3 jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      Soft jaws, or even a 3 jaw chuck you could make "pie jaws" giving you the advantage of a 6 jaw with a 3 jaw.
                      Or just use a pot chuck.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

What is a "pot" chuck? Boil a roast and ask somebody else to do the job for you?

Comment

I've heard the term "pot chuck", but hopefully Doozer can explain fully to us in due course.

NSF, the chuck is indeed $228, but the extra $159 shipping to the UK and the likely additional duty, taxes and the service charge made by the delivery company tend to put me off.

Bob, that chuck looks delicious, I should "pot" it before it flys away.

Comment

I found a reference to a pot chuck on Instructables of all places. Its just a split busing to hold parts that don't match up to the chuck jaws according to that page: https://www.instructables.com/How-to...0.5%22%20stock.

I've been doing that for years. I just never heard the term pot chuck before. I always just called it a split bushing. They are good for holding things like lead screws to indicate them in and machine the ends too.

Comment

Working...
                            X