Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lathe chuck with four jaws that has a scroll and individual jaw adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lathe chuck with four jaws that has a scroll and individual jaw adjustment?

I have an 8" four jaw chuck that has a scroll to move all four jaws at the same time and you can dial it in with each jaw separately. What do you call this type of chuck?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Bison calls them combination independent and self-centering chucks
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I think they are called "combi" chucks, Bison still makes them, I think.

Westcott chucks.
      Last edited by old mart; 01-09-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

A really good chuck.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          A really good chuck.
          I call them expensive. But if it's a name brand then yes, a really good chuck to have.

Comment

I love my rohm

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              I love my rohm
              That would be a röhm or a roehm. That damn o with the two little points over the top has been a real pain in my butt living here in Germany. I think it takes special muscles to pronounce! If you don't use the umlaut over the top of the o then you spell it with the e after the vowel. There are three vowels that use them in German. a,o,u. Not being critical here just pointing it out. The German language has been very difficult for me to learn. Don't even get me started on the grammar involved with German and all the different dialects.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The ö is very common here as well. I didn't think people had difficulty saying it though, since I hear similar sounds in english, but in words where there are no umlauts, the pronounciation is still very similar.

As a kid I always wondered why the english forgot to mention Å Ä Ö at the end of the alphabet.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

That would be a röhm or a roehm. That damn o with the two little points over the top has been a real pain in my butt living here in Germany. I think it takes special muscles to pronounce! If you don't use the umlaut over the top of the o then you spell it with the e after the vowel. There are three vowels that use them in German. a,o,u. Not being critical here just pointing it out. The German language has been very difficult for me to learn. Don't even get me started on the grammar involved with German and all the different dialects.
                  go and try french. usually the mouth falls off within 10 min.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

And people accuse me of being a grammar Nazi.
                    Next have Albrecht pronunciation classes ?
                    I personally want to spit on people when they
                    pronounce Hardinge and say Har-dinge, like dingy dishes,
                    it's Har-ding, like ringing a bell. But here down south,
                    nobody even heard of Hardinge lathes. Really.
                    The land where there is tobacco spit on the ground
                    in EVERY parking lot, waiting to get stepped in
                    and the English language is experiencing a
                    genocide carried out by every slack jaw local yocal.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

go and try french. usually the mouth falls off within 10 min.
                      AAhahahahahhah that made me laugh.... in my area, there were many Polish immigrants a hundred years ago. (Also Irish and Italian) And so I once had a Biology instructor, whose entire name consisted of consonants, There was not a single vowel in his name.

Even the Indian (Native American) names are easier than that, such as Scajaquada (Doozer knows that one...)

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
                        I don't know how you can stand it, quite frankly. I've lived in Louisiana before, and for all it's charm, I'll still take WNY with all it's faults.
                        When cow-orkers spit on the floor, I start screaming at them like the untrained animals that they are.
                        Because I'm gonna drag my welding cables thru their slobber
                        and get it all over my hands
                        and that's gross

Comment

-D
                          That is not how Hardinge is correctly pronounced. It might be an accepted pronunciation but it is not the correct German pronunciation if in fact Hardinge is a German word. Although the company was started in USA it's founders the Hardinge brothers were of German descent and so your bell ding is not correct actually. It should be pronounced Har- din- geh......just sayin! the boys probably caught **** in school for the real pronunciation and accepted the bell sound to avoid black eyes!
                          Last edited by Black Forest; 01-10-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Combination chucks, used to be common on Turret lathes, we had an old Gisholt lathe with a 12" one on it. Set it one time for the job you were running and it would repeat within .0005" every time so long as you applied the same torque to the chuck key.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

-D
                              I've worked in both places, seen people spit on the floor down south and piss in machinery pits and coolant sumps up north. You decide which is nastier

Thankfully hardly anybody chews anymore, or smokes for that matter. Now being glued to their smart phones on the other hand, that's a national addiction that needs stamping out IMO 😆

Oh, and it's Har Dinga
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 01-10-2021, 11:59 AM.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X