Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lathe chuck with four jaws that has a scroll and individual jaw adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruno Mueller
    replied
    @ Black Forest
    We once had two U.S. soldiers as guests in our home at Christmas.That was a program in our city (Mainz) at that time. One was from Michigan, the other was from Arkansas. The two had difficulty understanding each other.
    It is the same here in Germany in some areas.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruno Mueller View Post
    Black Forest,
    German language- difficult language.
    I as a native speaker -German- have the complete correct grammar also not in use. Is it now "(der)The brook" or "(die)The brook" A brook is a very small river.
    The much bigger problem are, the many Anglizissmen in the German language.
    Here in the southwest, the French language has also left its mark.
    With you in the Black Forest, the Alemannic dialect also plays a very large role.
    I live down in the corner of Germany. 20km to Switzerland and 30 km to France. I can drive to Basel, CH in 20 minutes. The first time I gave a Reitkurs in Germany I had a translator. After 15 minutes the people stopped me and told me they understood my English better than my translators German. He was using his local dialect and no one understood him. They asked him to speak Hoch Deutsch. He only knew his own dialect so we recruited another translator.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    I remember when I had exchange students from Argentina in the 1980's trying to explain the meaning of the word "stuff" as a generic term for objects or possessions. e.g "Is that your stuff?" They we delighted with the concept of generic English terms.

Leave a comment:

• Bruno Mueller
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Alemnnic is the worst. We have neighbors that I don't understand anything when they speak. My wife a native German speaking person says she doesn't understand a lot of them either. What town do you live in Bruno?
    I live near Bingen on the Rhine. In a small village in Rheinhessen, surrounded by vineyards.
    The Rheinhessen dialect is very similar to the Main Franconian dialect, but with some borrowings from the French language. Rheinhessen, like the whole area on the left bank of the Rhine, was occupied by Napoleon from 1805 to 1814. The official language at that time was French.
    Even villages in the immediate vicinity have a different expression for one and the same object.
    Last edited by Bruno Mueller; 01-27-2021, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Whether they are called combi or universal probably depends on your particular part of the world. Bison make this style in 3 and 4 jaw variations, they call them combi, which is where I got that name from.

Leave a comment:

• sarge41
    replied
    I was told that the chucks were known as 4 jaw universal chucks. That is how they were described in my apprenticeship books. As opposed to 3 jaw universal chucks that we know as 3 jaw chucks.
    Sarge41

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    In the UK, we have loads of dialects, some of which are difficult to understand. There was an electrician from Wolverhampton installing something at work, and I thought he was speaking a foreign language. I even had difficulty understanding what somebody from Southampton was saying. The funny thing is that everybody in the country can understand the standard English spoken by a newscaster on a national channel.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruno Mueller View Post
    Black Forest,
    I as a native speaker -German- have the complete correct grammar also not in use. Is it now "(der)The brook" or "(die)The brook" A brook is a very small river.
    With you in the Black Forest, the Alemannic dialect also plays a very large role.
    Alemnnic is the worst. We have neighbors that I don't understand anything when they speak. My wife a native German speaking person says she doesn't understand a lot of them either. What town do you live in Bruno?

Leave a comment:

• Bruno Mueller
    replied
    Black Forest,

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Apologies for a slight digression, but I have just seen this vise on ebay which also has individually adjustable jaws. Ebay UK 333857595248.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I dont think a register needs to be tapered, it just has to fit.
    I made a drill extender for a corded drill . 1/2 cold roll about 6 inches long , goes on threaded spindle.. register lips.. it works great ...runs straight, leave it on all the time.,

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Plain as day. Floorsandingmachinerental...........what is the problem?
    Yeah , I saw that too..easy to read and saves spaces..

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    The matching step on the front of the backplate should not reach the inner part of the chuck. It should be square, not tapered.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    the backplate registers will be a) the flat part the chuck bolts too and b) and a small lip that interfaces with the inside diameter of the bit of the chuck that the bolts go through.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    This chuck is definitely a scroll and independent. No gears except to turn the scroll

Leave a comment:

Working...
X