No announcement yet.

Atlas shaper vise value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fortunate enough to have an Atlas shaper.complete with original vice in my shop.
    It is on long term loan from a friend,also a model engineer, who inherited it from his father.
    I enjoy the shaper, use it often. usually for just small parts,
    I find it an accurate machine and enjoy just watching it work.
    Regards David Powell.

Comment

The burning question.. what do you think of the vise ?

Comment

True, the collectors enthusiasm for am item can influence its price, but another way to look at it is the new found recognition for that item may help keep it out of the recycling furnace. I may have to pay a little (sometimes a lot) more for something but at least that something might still be available.

Comment

Well for one thing, you can't just go buy a vise that fits good on a small shaper...,

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            Well for one thing, you can't just go buy a vise that fits good on a small shaper...,
            And that is true.
            3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Ya know... I just looked up what an Atlas shaper vise looks like. It's not even a "proper" shaper vise where the lead screw end is accessible from the fixed jaw side of the vise. So really if we could figure out how to correctly clamp a basic milling vise to the table you'd be all set.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The burning question.. what do you think of the vise ?
                Not selling.

Comment

I meant what does D Powell think of the vise.... as it is on its intended machine...

Comment

Skinner chuck used to make them for shapers and planers.

Comment

The vise holds work squarely
                      ,I have it positioned so that the jaws sit parallel with the ram movement.
                      If I get too greedy, or try using an unsuitable tool the workpiece just gets pushed out of the vice without damage to the machine.
                      About 25 thous is its max comfortable depth of cut in steel.
                      I am still learning about tool shapes, Lathe tools do not always do a good job.
                      Regards David Powell

Comment

If your business is selling rare items to collectors the price is unimportant, they will pay to make the product "original".
                        As machine tools go this is a low bar, if in the future vintage machine tools escalate to the lofty value of coins for instance the prices will rise sharply.

Comment

For those who have not seen a real Shaper Vise, Here is my Rhodes 7 Inch Vise
                          Heavy duty , compact , and can be rotated Click image for larger version

Name:	PC210021  B.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1921158

Rich
                          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                            For those who have not seen a real Shaper Vise, Here is my Rhodes 7 Inch Vise
                            Heavy duty , compact , and can be rotated Click image for larger version

Name:	PC210021  B.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1921158

Rich
                            So you are saying that you're polished, gem like, vise is the only way to go? Dude! Shaper manufacturers often supplied a vise with the shaper. Either as an option or as standard equipment. Your vise is very nice but your reply smacks of tool bag snobbery. I ain't a bit sorry about that.

Comment

I don't perceive his post as snobby. I see it shows the important features ,
                              like stiff, good fit on the table. .BOTH ways... nothing hanging over the sides.. good access to tighten the jaw.
                              not sure how it is held on, but it fits.... I think a lot of milling vises may work, but wont sit centered as well for a lot of work..
                              AS shapers go up in size the vise quickly becomes much heavier in design.. a lot of force in a shaper taking a healthy cut.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                                So you are saying that you're polished, gem like, vise is the only way to go? Dude! Shaper manufacturers often supplied a vise with the shaper. Either as an option or as standard equipment. Your vise is very nice but your reply smacks of tool bag snobbery. I ain't a bit sorry about that.
                                Well, Excuse Me !
                                I was only trying to show those who are not familiar with Shaper vises about how they differ from milling and other vises. Sorry if you were offended .
                                But it isn't polished either, just ordinary wear marks- Since the shop has a dehumidifier, it does not have rust and maybe thats why it may look polished ??
                                The big difference -as mentioned by other posters is the moving jaw is 'pulled" into the rigid jaw , whereas other vises push the moving jaw.
                                Rich
                                Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                                X