Custom took roll/case for measuring tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

LoL!! This place is called Home Shop Machinist. Not Mobile Shop Machinist. No really, says it right in the URL JR
    Jeepers man , you cant have a job ,and be a Home Machinist, is that what you are saying.. ?
    what's next, list of tools we should not have ?
    Last edited by 754; 01-14-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mgt3 View Post
      Does anyone make custom tool cases that could put something like this together? These tools are really nice and it’s helpful to have them in one case. I just want to make sure whatever I have made up isn’t going to bend or damage them. Any recommendations are appreciated.
      Hmm. I read tool roll/bag and that is exactly what I store my chefs knives in. I have two, this one is leather and well made. The dial cal is for ref sizing. So maybe search knife roll and or bag. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	1921847

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	1921848

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	1921849

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Edited
        Last edited by mgt3; 01-14-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

No, it just sounds obsessive, and draws comment. Bented had not been here yet, so I offered my own version with the steel box. He may out-do me.

But seriously, I have taken my square set to the job before, and just put the square and center finder (each has its own "blade") in a bag with other tools, generally on top, or at least not under anything heavy. Never a bend in them.

The other items like the mic, yeah, I'd put them in something before going in the bag. a cardboard box, or just rolled up in their holder or something similar.

I'm actually more careful to keep from breaking the level vial, which is usually not that well protected. The "blade" has never been an issue.

Oh, yeah..... those "squares" are "kinda OK, but no great special shakes as for actually being square. "General purpose" and not "precision" items, despite the price Starrett gets for those "machinist's sets".
          2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post

Jeepers man , you cant have a job ,and be a Home Machinist, is that what you are saying.. ?
            what's next, list of tools we should not have ?
            No, I was joking. Hence the JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

No, I was joking. Hence the JR
              Thanks!

I’m excited to get this project off the ground.

Comment

Most of the guys that make motorcycle leather saddle bags make tool rolls, wallets, ect.
                Before COVID I would say to go to a motorcycle swap meet and there would be a leather vender or two.
                Now I would call the local Harley shop or custom motorcycle shop and ask if they could recommend a leather shop.

Also you can check your local shoe cobbler. They usually make purses, wallets and other leather items.

If you use leather keep it oiled with a good boot oil. Otherwise it will absorb moisture and rust your tools.

Hard or soft gun cases or range bags could be made to work also. There are many online vendors.
                Last edited by HD Bee; 01-15-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

As I posted in post 13, search custom tool roll on google.. many, many choices..
                  at least 30 options if not more... send a sketchb, they make it..send it to you..
                  Last edited by 754; 01-15-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                    If there was an earlier leather or Naugahyde variation then I'm sure that version used thin plywood. If you're going to spring the funds free for a new version I'd suggest 1/16 or slightly thicker G10 epoxi-glass or a carbon and kevlar noneycomb composite over the shoddy old world plywood. The cost for the work to sew the rest of the case up will make the over the top cost for the G10 or carbon honeycomb seem like a pittance.

Personally if you know someone in your circle of friends see if anyone has a sewing machine that can handle good quality coated Cordura. And then work with them to see if they can start with the inner Cordura liner and inner layer of G10 and pass rivets through the inner and G10 to secure the nylon webbing straps and snap buttons. Then when that's all secured they stitch on the exterior Cordura with edge binding to make for a very slick and very cleanable case that will last for the rest of your life and the next owner's as well..
                    Let’s say I use G10 epoxi glass. How do the panels get joined together to make a spine? Would you even do that?

Comment

It would be three panels of material with sewing along the "hinges". So the three parts form a book like shape when folded closed with the tools being the "pages". Is that not pretty much how the original works? And flaps that fold in so the stuff on one cover is not rubbing against the stuff on the other cover? That's what I thought I was seeing in your opening post pics.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        It would be three panels of material with sewing along the "hinges". So the three parts form a book like shape when folded closed with the tools being the "pages". Is that not pretty much how the original works? And flaps that fold in so the stuff on one cover is not rubbing against the stuff on the other cover? That's what I thought I was seeing in your opening post pics.
                        That makes sense. I'm checking to see if the inner stock material can be ordered to size. I might enlarge the dimensions a little bit to fit a pair of extension dividers in there. I'd put the vernier caliper in there too but I doubt it would fit.

Comment

Common materials often have deleterious effects on tools, some release residual acidic compounds induced during manufacture.
                          Tanning leather for instance.

The truly safe method of protecting precision tooling are materials that are completely inert at atmospheric conditions, keep this in mind when choosing.

I store tools in a tool box that has an argon gas supply that displaces the atmosphere and its included oxygen.
                          Last edited by Bented; 01-16-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Aaaaaaannnnnnd he DID outdo me. Where's that bowing to the master emoji?
                            2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by mgt3 View Post

That makes sense. I'm checking to see if the inner stock material can be ordered to size. I might enlarge the dimensions a little bit to fit a pair of extension dividers in there. I'd put the vernier caliper in there too but I doubt it would fit.
                              If you would like to include some extra items then now we get back to the initial choice of making a replacement folder or coming up with a different storage/protection container of a whole other sort.

Is there a particular reason why you prefer the folder style protection? If it was because the folder lays out neatly on a bench or table I'd counter that with the idea of one of the briefcase style tool kits but with removable flat panels of tools which you lift out and lay on the work surface so your stuff is laid out all nice and tidy like in a similar manner. But when all is put away into the case and the lid closed there's no possible risk of items knocking about on each other. Or is it for some other reason? The folder style of that Starrett kit is all nice and fine as a shipping item. But in actual use they are not all that great in terms of size for protection offered.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X