Shop Crane Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemesomemachines View Post
    Bented...Thank you for the post. Great idea. If they have one that is the same physical footprint of the hydraulic ram that's on my crane, I would buy it.
    You may think otherwise if you could find pricing on such components, this tech has not yet trickled down to consumer goods.

Comment

Out of curiosity I'll contact the company to see what kind of price points I'm looking at if they have a replacement at all for the hydraulic ram that's on the crane.

Comment

If you're talking about an engine hoist, more than 1 I have opened the valve, lifted the arm and closed the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by 3illmesmart View Post
          If you're talking about an engine hoist, more than 1 I have opened the valve, lifted the arm and closed the valve.
          I can just lift the arm on the Hoyer lift I used (valve closed) and it stays up.

Comment

Has anyone seen a setting for this forum, a checkbox if you will, to receive emails when a response is posted? I can't find it. If there isn't, there needs to be one as I don't live on the forum as I'm sure many don't.

Comment

Are you referring to what is commonly referred to as a "cherry picker" or engine hoist? What are the dimensions on the hydraulic cylinder? Rod diameter and piston diameter? Cycle time you want to achieve? 12v or 24v hydraulic packs are available with manual or electric valves and they are not very expensive. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you want to have a good tactile feel to the control of the ram for positioning purposes. If so go with a manual valve not electric. I think the cylinder on your typical engine hoist is a single acting cylinder just like a hydraulic jack, correct? The power pack for a hydraulic tailgate would work. Do you want it to be battery powered or are you OK with it being tethered to an electric cord? Also think of catastrophic failure of any of the components and those implications. A hydraulic jack is quite reliable in terms of not failing quickly. Once you introduce more components such as hoses and valves, etc. you need to over spec everything for safety reasons. You probably know all this but others might not that is why I mention it.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Black Forest...Yes, this crane can be referred to as a cherry picker or engine hoist [https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ne-69514.html]. The dimensions of the cylinder are very approximate, taken with my tape measure -
                Cylinder height: 21.9375 inches (without the mounting bracket/hole).
                Cylinder diameter: 3.25 inches.
                Cylinder ram diameter: 1.25 inches

Yes, the cylinder on the crane is a single acting cylinder, at least it looks like it is. At present, I'm not interested in it being battery powered. I like the idea of the electric cylinder that member Bented suggested. I'm waiting on a response from the company to see if there is a replacement for the hydraulic ram on the crane. The only drawback for something like this is, and I can see it coming, price! Once I get a response, I'll post back.

Comment

Engine hoists are NOT cherry pickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    Engine hoists are NOT cherry pickers.
                    True but a lot of people call them that. I thought about powering my shop crane a long time ago. Even bought one of those HF 8 ton jacks to go on it. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a PITA dealing with dragging an air hose around with the hoist. As far as an electric unit is concerned, consider the added junk attached to the hoist. Just my thoughts, ymmv.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                    X