Close Quarters---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Quarters---

My machine shop is an annex off my design office, and measures 7 foot x 8 foot. I have a mill, a lathe, a 1" belt sander, a drill sharpener, and a shop vac in there, and about ten million other things hanging on the walls. When I first started messing around with small engines, I bought a 12 drawer wall mounted cabinet to store all my various nuts and bolts in. After a couple of years, my nut and bolt collection outgrew that cabinet, and I resorted to keeping them all in prescription medicine containers, labelled with my marking pen. The last two years I've spent as much time trying to find the right nuts and bolts for my projects as I do machining them. I decided to buy myself a Christmas present this year, and bought a 60 drawer wall mounted cabinet with pull out drawers. With a great deal of "shoe horning", I managed to fit the 60 drawer cabinet into the space where the 12 door cabinet had originally been.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Like many of us you're badly in need of replacing your shop with a Dr Who tardis....
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

If you reinforced the back, you could fit hinges and allow storage behind it.

Comment

Is one of those an outside wall? If so- and excuse me for this suggestion- cut into it and flush-mount the storage cabinets and upper cabinets. You'll need a bit of new roof to cover the exposed part outside, but hey that will add character to the building.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

No, that's an inside wall. You can't see it in the picture, but the mill is recessed 4" into the wall, so that I don't get goosed by the vice handle when I'm working on my lathe.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There's a thought!

Originally posted by old mart View Post
            If you reinforced the back, you could fit hinges and allow storage behind it.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Seven by eight foot! And I thought my two car garage workshop was cramped. I feel for you.

I have most of my screws, bolts, nuts and washers in cardboard bins with smaller containers inside those boxes: Rx bottles for the smaller sized stuff and mini bins for larger sizes. I can find nuts and bolts, but still have a lot of other things to organize.

And sell or throw out.

Speaking of which, anybody want a tube tester in working condition and a pile of used tubes, some working and some not. Free to a good home if you pay the shipping. PM me if you do. FCFS.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Comment

I now feel your pain. Before I closed my business my "machine shop" occupied a 20X40 space in the building. Now the same equipment is creatively arranged into a 10X20 converted garage at my home. I am still adjusting and the move happened 3 years ago.
                Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

I see an inventory of 5-40 hardware. Not that popular anymore. One of my favourites to work with for strength when tapping, and dimensionally when designing something.

Comment

tom_d--I find that #5 fasteners are the "ideal" size for a lot of the things I build. That is also the correct size for use on 1/8" shafting.----Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

5-40 is also used on some common electric/electronic terminal strips.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Comment

Well, my shop is nearly the same size, it's in the old coal bin. I have, in it, a Logan lathe, a short rollaround toolbox, a tall rollaround box a diamond lapping machine, a set of shelves, 3 toolboxes, a 3 section wall cabinet, an arbor press, a certain amount of stock, bookshelves, and a 6 foot long full depth standard old style workbench. The mill and drill press are around on the other side of the wall between the bin and the furnace.

Things can get pretty tight. I still have not gotten the second mill, and the second lathe squeezed in there, as they need to be. Lathe #3 is over by the electronics lab, at the watch and instrumentation workbench, with drill press #3 (#2 is out in the motor and machinery shed)
                        3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Damn Brian, 7 x 8 feet! No wonder you went on a diet ! My shop is 33 x 66 feet aprox. and I feel so cramped in there I have my leather shop in another place.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Would never have guessed 7X8 Bri, with all the work you do... Im guessing mine is about a 6X14 but I only really have one machine,,,

i inherited a steel cutting saw that needs work if i get a chance to fix the gearbox but I use those so few and far between it will be mostly a dust collector in a different part of the basement....

Comment

Out in my unheated garage I have a stick welder, a mig welder, a tig welder and an oxy-acetylene rig, a drill press, a metal cutting bandsaw, a giant power hacksaw, an air compressor, and a vertical stationary belt sander, and a "test bench" for tuning my i.c. engines. In one corner of my office I have a vertical reciprocating spindle sander. That sounds like a lot but it has been accumulated over 55 years.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X