10x22 Lathe spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10x22 Lathe spindle

Can someone please tell me what this style of lathe spindle is called. I am looking for a backplate for it for an er40 collet chuck. Thanks
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

You may have to state the model of the lathe. The thin knurled edge plate is probably a captive washer behind the flanged end of the spindle. Try removing the nuts, on the far left to take the chuck off and the end of the spindle can be measured.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Comment

What does the owner's manual say it has? And which model of lathe is it?

To me it rather looks like the integrated flange style found on the 7x mini lathe models.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have a 7 x 12 which is similar, but smaller, I suspect.

Just re read the title, it is a 10 x 22.

There are er40 collet plates available in:
        100mm diameter
        register 72mm
        3 x 8mm screws / bolts at 84mm pcd.
        Last edited by old mart; 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Old mart bagged this one! Just take the chuck off and measure it. You will find a ER 40 nose on Ebay to fit your lathe.
          it's a PITA to unscrew the bolts. I. Most put set screws in the chucks, faceplate and collet nose, so you can use nuts with a box wrench. The cap screws are a pain.

Comment

That looks like a Precision Matthews 10x22. These came with a faceplate. If you are looking for a chuck backing plate maybe call PM to see if anything is available.
            Attached is a view of the mounting and the standard faceplate arrangement if it helps at all. (Hope I attached the pic property).

Attached Files
            S E Michigan

Comment

The PM web site has a spare backing plate for $69.99 listed under "parts/uncategorized" Sorry, they don't have a picture of it but it would mount to the lathe and could be machined to fit whatever chuck you are mounting to it. Of course if it is not a PM, all this is wasted typing anyway.
              Hope its helpful.

Here is a link
              https://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...30v-backplate/
              S E Michigan

Comment

I have limited experience with my little lathe and NO experience with collets. I think I misunderstood OPs question. Sorry for wasting time and space on backing plates. Back to my cave I go.

S E Michigan

Comment

Oakland GB, your pictures may well be of interest to the op, the fitting looks very much like his. He will only be sure when he removes the chuck. It does look like there will have to be an intermediate adaptor to buy. Maybe the chuck and er40 plate could share the adaptor which he has now.
                  I have noticed "CE" on the headstock, that is a European symbol.
                  Last edited by old mart; 01-11-2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

The lathe uses an MT4 taper in the spindle. For the price of backing plates or adapters would it not be more prudent to simply use an MTB4 collet chuck as pictured below? I think you would save a few dollars in the process as well.
                    Al one would need to do is to make up a M16 drawbar in order to secure it.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Import lathe manufacturers refer to that as a Direct Mount spindle. I think the spindle bore is usually an MT#4.

Comment

BlondiHacks on YouTube has a video on making a collect chuck for this same lathe. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz83tCAK_aI

Glenn
                        So many projects . . . so little ambition! Arroyo Grande, CA

Comment

I think we have a winner! In Quin's video we can even see the knurling on the spindle's flange same as your picture in the opening post.

And a quick check on "fleabay" shows that MT4 to ER40 is also easily available.

The only downside is that as mentioned in the video you can't use it with long stock. And that will become even more of an issue with the bigger sizes permitted by the ER collets.

So there is very likely something to be said for the flange style as SHOWN HERE. Of course then it will need a face plate or similar adapter.... or you may get very lucky and the set of three holes might end up being the right diameter to match the mount on these machines. Then you'd just need a flat donut spacer that fits into the rear recess to match to the smaller nose of your spindle.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Just make sure to get an MTB4 collet chuck as I posted previously if you go this route.

MTA4 tapered ER40 chucks are also available, however the difference is that the MTA4 chucks will have a tang on the end and are not threaded for a drawbar. The MTB4 types will usually have an M16-2 thread pitch, however they are also available with a 5/8 X 11 internal thread for the drawbar but they do not seem to be as prevalent. Not that it matters as both M16-2 and 5/8 X 11 ready rod is available almost anywhere.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Thanks for all the replys, I thought about putting a MT4 taper collet chuck in it but I want to be able to machine long stock through the spindle. The model of lathe in the picture is a precision matthews, it was the only picture i could find close up of that type. I have a craftex. It basically the spindle of choice for the chinese lathes. Grizzly uses them too. I just figured someone on here might have the same setup and already know what it is or where to get a matching back plate. I have taken it off and measured it and I cannot find anything with the same bolt radius. It is almost exactly like a D1-3 except the pins have a threaded nut that is captured by the backing ring.

EDIT: As I was writing this I googled pictures to show what it is and found the name. This is called a Bayonet style spindle.

Thanks
                              Last edited by tensecondsdown; 01-12-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X