No announcement yet.

Radius Gages any users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also use occasionally to scribe against in doing layout.

Comment

I have a Starrett set. Don't use them much. Mostly for checking a hand ground radius tool bit. Wouldn't part with them and they don't take up much space in the tool box.

JL................

Comment

Once a year, maybe.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I used to do a lot of "reverse engineering". A customer would bring me a finished part (generally made by some other company), and get me to make detail drawings of it so that it could be manufactured in their own shop by their own machinists. That is where my radius gauges got their most use.---Brian
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Back when I did a lot of sinker EDM work, in an electronic preform stamping shop, we had a radius gage set with the edges of the flats slightly rounded and the radius edges honed sharp.
            After grinding the 30/45/30 on the corners of a graphite electrode, we would use the sharp radius gage to shave the radius onto the corner. It took some practice but once you got the technique down it worked great.

When Wire EDM came around, that took over that function.
            Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
            9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Despite the fact I did not use mine all the time, I would not ever get rid of mine. I have a couple sets , 2 types that fold up like feeler guages. 2 are Mitutoyo I bought new. I would not mind a set like those shown, but won't be rushing oh to get them ....I like the handle aspect if them. .

Comment

I also have used them several times for reverse engineering. I also use them to get (really to check for) a particular radius on an edge when freehand sanding or using the belt sander.

Handy things to have, even if I use them less frequently than hammers or screwdrivers, etc.
                3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

One time I made my own radius gauge to make an custom anvil so a friend could use it to help smooth out the corner of an oil pan that had been dinged up. Multiple times using an OLFA compass circle cutter and a piece of cardboard box until I got it just right and then use the other bit of the cutout to measure the curvature of the anvil itself as I machined it on the mill with a boring head. Worked slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

I also have a third set for internal radii bearing the name B. Greening Wire Company Limited. It's a very strange gauge set...it has: 1/4 + 1/64, 5/16 + 1/64, 3/8 +1/32, 7/16 + 1/32, 1/2 + 1/32, 9/16 + 1/32, 5/8 + 1/32, 3/4 + 1/32, 7/8 + 3/64, 1 + 3/64, 1 1/8 + 3/64 and 1 1/4 +1/16. I have absolutely no idea what that gauge set was intended to measure and I bought it just for curiosity's sake. It and the other two sets I mentioned were cheap and I bought them just to be able to say "Yes. I have radii gauges!"
                    That set was probably used by a pattern maker for making mold box and core for castings. You have to make the mold cavity bigger by the amount of shrinkage of the material you're casting. As it cools, it gets smaller. Probably used with a shrink scale, which looks like a regular scale, only the graduations are spread out just a little more, different amounts for different materials. It tells on the scale what it's for.
                    Last edited by Toolguy; 01-13-2021, 10:26 AM.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Thanks Toolguy. That's definitely one possibility I would never have thought of.

The company is quite an old company. https://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/30...l/greening.htm

Comment

I have a couple sets. And as I hand grind a lot of radius tools I use them often.
                        Jimsehr

Comment

I am retired, so they dont get used much. I do like them for hand grinding tools like Jim said. Dont like killing my corner rounding mills. I use the gages to scribe the radius and rough by eye. Then a light finish cut with the radius tool. No CNC, so the gages are helpful. If you hand grind lathe tools, they are a must.

Comment

I suspect that these are essential in the die making trade....at least before the CNC era .

Joe B

Comment

Have small and large radius gage sets. These are essential tools for any shop that requires precision layout.
                              12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                              7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

Working...
                              X