Lube for Ignition Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lube for Ignition Locks

Any suggestions for lubing a ignition lock in a Toyota Tacoma 2015 pickup? I had it rebuilt but its still a little difficult to get the key in and out.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Used some ptfe on my van this week, quick squirt it’s good
    mark

Comment

For door locks, I use powdered graphite, should work for the tumblers in the ignition. My main concern would be what it would do regarding the electric part of the lock. Wouldn't recommend any type of grease, not even dielectric types, dry silicon might work. If the electrical parts are separated from the tumbler part, a light application of graphite is what I would try. Get it at the auto parts place.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
        For door locks, I use powdered graphite, should work for the tumblers in the ignition. My main concern would be what it would do regarding the electric part of the lock. Wouldn't recommend any type of grease, not even dielectric types, dry silicon might work. If the electrical parts are separated from the tumbler part, a light application of graphite is what I would try. Get it at the auto parts place.
        Modern Ignition locks are not even near the actual electrical switching.

Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
          Used some ptfe on my van this week, quick squirt it’s good
          mark
          I see WD40 Now markets a dry Teflon spray now and its highly recommended for locks. Thanks for the tip!!

Comment

An old buddy that was a locksmith told me that he would beat me senseless if he ever found out I used any sort of wet oil in any lock. Only old rusty stuff which will be thrown out once it is opened ever got WD40 to free it up long enough to remove it. That and hinges were the only reason he kept a can of the stuff around.

Graphite was the "go to" product in his day and he really liked the DRY teflon and moly lubes that showed up near the end of his career. But nothing that stays liquid. It eventually gums up really badly and makes more work instead of less in the final end.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I use a dry lube for all my locks and door hardware. One I use is a top coating for table saws. I use that if I have aluminum to aluminum sliding surfaces, or steel to steel. Not for rotating parts like motor bearings or gearboxes.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

dont use graphite in auto locks, no where for it to go, eventually it jams the lock. spray the key with a light penatrating oil, shake the key then insert and work the lock. not wd 40, it makes the problem worse.howes lubricater or pb blaster
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Houdini oil is what a locksmith would use.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

The kits we sold at our GM dealer had a small squeeze tube of a light body white lithium? grease. However it may have been another type as the lube did not harden in site like plain white lithium. I have become a fan of Super Lube lately. I would definitely use the Super Lube if it was available.
                    This stuff would insure the whole mech would get some...
                    https://www.super-lube.com/multi-pur...-syncolon-ptfe
                    Joe

Comment

I fixed my stubborn key, with a few passes on the wired wheel. It had sharp edges which grabbed or hooked the slides and would get stuck. The key was much smoother to enter and remove after this deburring.
                      Cheers!
                      Phil

Comment

2 birds, one stone.....scratch my ear, lube the ignition switch.

Comment

powdered graphite is the ideal. But that probably won't do anything if the key is hanging up on something. Blue up the key and see where it's rubbing - either the lock wasn't rekeyed quite right or the key has some burrs on it as mentioned above. From personal experience though, I wouldn't bother with rebuilding ignition locks, just buy a good quality replacement and rekey it yourself.

Comment

I have a can of dry teflon spray made by the makers of WD40. It is clear and the propellent evaporates quickly. Graphite also works well, but is so messy.

Comment

All the locksmiths I have worked with use Triflow.

Comment

Working...
                              X