Lube for Ignition Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, let me rephrase that for you.
    Ask a chemist who knows what the fuk he is talking about.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      Ok, let me rephrase that for you.
      Ask a chemist who knows what the fuk he is talking about.

-D
      Or perhaps, a mech eng who does NOT?
      3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Well news to folks with the new ignition locks, it ain't a matter of going to the hardware store and getting a new key. Or to a auto parts store to buy a new lock. The new systems require a key blank from the Mfr and then programing if it has a RFI chip. I was quoted a $1000 at the dealership for a new Ign lock and two new keys cut and programed.

The automotive locksmith charged me $200 to rebuild the cylinder with new pins and such. Keys were ok, He used TriFlow but this lock is still tight. Its a two hour job for him to pull the lock and fix maybe but I was hoping its was just the new pins and it will wear in with the help of the correct lube. Triflow seems to wash out the lock and leave a little Teflon behind. I used the WD40 DRY Lube with Teflon only and it seemed to help. I may give it another shot in a few days if it needs.

Thanks for the help, the Teflon seems to be the answer, and if your lock is dirty, the TriFlow.
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
          Well news to folks with the new ignition locks, it ain't a matter of going to the hardware store and getting a new key. Or to a auto parts store to buy a new lock. The new systems require a key blank from the Mfr and then programing if it has a RFI chip. I was quoted a $1000 at the dealership for a new Ign lock and two new keys cut and programed.
          I bought a 2019 truck. RF key. Went to the locksmith, got a key for $50.

And before anyone kindly lets me know that it won't work..... it works fine.

3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

TriFlow- yes that's good stuff too.

Maybe not as good for locks, but great for exposed moving parts is chain lube. I've used it on a lock and it made it work slick, but I don't know if it would stick up after a while.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I bought a 2019 truck. RF key. Went to the locksmith, got a key for $50.

And before anyone kindly lets me know that it won't work..... it works fine.
              Yup the key I got made at the hardware store works fine. But it won’t let the engine start, cranks fine. If its a true RF key its either not starting or it will stop on the road after a few minutes. You do not have a RF key if its never needed programed. The locksmith did it for you.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
                LPS 1, greaseless lubricant is what the locksmith recommended to me for standard entry door lock sets,should work on ignition locks I would think. Jim
                The LPS1 is a dry lube. If its like this one on the right. Its good stuff, as is the green can.

I dont use it for locks anymore now that I use graphite but I used to use it. Thats an old can. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	dlube.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1921753
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

Yup the key I got made at the hardware store works fine. But it won’t let the engine start, cranks fine. If its a true RF key its either not starting or it will stop on the road after a few minutes. You do not have a RF key if its never needed programed. The locksmith did it for you.
                  Ummmmm..... The key works in every way the same as the original keys. Of COURSE the locksmith programmed it. That's the point, the $300 the dealer would have charged was $50 at a locksmith.

Not all locksmiths do those keys, though.
                  3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Ummmmm..... The key works in every way the same as the original keys. Of COURSE the locksmith programmed it. That's the point, the $300 the dealer would have charged was $50 at a locksmith.

Not all locksmiths do those keys, though.
                    Not all RF keys are programmed the same way. One of my cars had a new key made -and programmed- at a hardware store for $75 in about 10 minutes. The other car had to have the key programmed in the car, with a programming tool plugged into the OBDII port. Took about 45 minutes and $200. That key also had locking/trunk remote functions.

Comment

There are multiple systems at play in modern cars. One system uses the key fob as a battery powered two way radio to tell the car that an authorized person wants to access the doors, ignition, etc. It's not unusual for the fob to also have an embedded RFID chip and physical key to handle the same chores when the car battery or fob battery goes weak / dead.

When adding a new key, the locksmiths have at least two options. They can use a special key design and computer to clone the existing RFID chip. There are also methods for telling the car that a new RFID is authorized to work just like an original one. Virtually all of them require an original key to tell the car that the work is authorized.

Mom's 2010 Cadillac needed a spare key. It has an embedded RFID chip. I bought the key from a mobile locksmith for $25 + 10 to cut it. He did not have the machine needed to "pair" it to the car. I told him it was no problem because I had looked up the process online. It was one of those dances where you put in a key, take out the key, put in the replacement and toggle switches in a certain order. 5 minutes later I had a spare key ready to use.

There are exceptions to needing the original key. If you lose the originals, for instance. In those cases the dealer has special hardware and software to originate a new master BUT it's deliberately a slow and cumbersome process. Like 8 hours long. This is to keep thieves from being able to make new keys while in the driveway. Thieves have, of course, learned to simply bring a spare ECU (control computer) to substitute for the one in the car. Then they can use THEIR key fob which is already authorized in the spare ECU in order to steal the car.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

there are loads of websites that detail how you can program a new key as long as you have one original in your possession.
                        eg for a 2010 Cadillac STS
                        https://northcoastkeyless.com/2010-c...-instructions/

or a 2017 Pilot (what I have)
                        https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote

no need to pay for a dealer to program it unless you've lost all your original keys, in which case you need to be ready to pick up that bar of soap.

Comment

Despite being on the internet, that does apparently work for some. Not in my case. It would make a key that would do some, but not all the things that a "real" key would do. I wanted a key that was in every respect the same as a factory key, and that is what I got.
                          3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                          X