OT: Slow Leak in Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I think this is the first concrete suggestion. But I do not have the equipment or tools to dismount the tire so I may have to find a shop that will do that part and put it back on when I am done.

Any particular type of epoxy paint? I guess I would want a small quantity.

And what is pu sealer? Where do I get it? Or will a tire shop have that?

i used some epoxy resin i had. epoxy primer would be best. i used a pu chip-floor sealer that i also had. its elastic. you might be able to get away with pu paint, as in general its more elastic than epoxy. i tend not to trow anything away, so i end up having stuff that is somewhat unusual.

Comment

The situation I described back at post #16 took a LONG time for the mechanic to find. It was so slow that each part of the mounted tire had to be kept under water for minutes to see a bubble appear. And of course it appeared in an unexpected place, on the wheel itself.

Comment

came across this by chance:

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-Edelman...00CIOM54&psc=1

Comment

A trick I learned a few years ago has always worked for me.
          ~ 3/4 cup of antifreeze poured into the valve stem then inflated, ran for a couple of miles, problem solved.
          Max.

Comment

Well, I took it to a tire shop and had them swap the rear tires to the opposite side rims. Now it is just a matter of waiting to see which side goes flat. If the right side goes flat, then it is the tire and if the left side goes flat, it is the rim.

Any bets? I think it will be both sides.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

No bets but you've definitely stacked the deck in your favor. Only time will tell.
              Good luck and keep us posted.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Years ago I had a 64 Corvette. Never had a tire problem until I bought a set of aftermarket mag wheels for it. Had one slow leak after another in each one and finally had to resort to putting tubes in them. The wheels were porous.
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Yea, but they looked sexy. Did they have "Messala" spikes on them?

I may have to put tubes in mine. I wonder if that needs to be done in pairs, like both rear wheels instead of just one.

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                  Years ago I had a 64 Corvette. Never had a tire problem until I bought a set of aftermarket mag wheels for it. Had one slow leak after another in each one and finally had to resort to putting tubes in them. The wheels were porous.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Messala" spikes ?? Naw, it was a Corvette, not a chariot
                    Last edited by Dave C; 01-24-2021, 04:08 AM. Reason: Had to think about that for a sec.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                    X