Making sinkers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sinkers.

I would like to try make some teardrop sinkers around 3 to 5 ounce. I guess a mold of aluminum would work.But for the life of me I cant figure out without cnc how to mill cavities that are in the shape of a teardrop.

If you have a DRO, you could break it down into steps and use a ball end mill. I'm assuming here you would mill one half of the mold at a time. Obviously the smaller the steps, the smoother the result.

Do they have to be a perfect teardrop? Wouldn't a plain cylinder shape work as well, maybe with just a taper on the end?

Comment

Split style which you crimp to the line or the style with the embedded eyes?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Tilt the block, run in with a radius ball mill..

Comment

I've snagged so many bank sinkers I don't believe the hype! I made a bucktail jig mold using just ball end mills. Without a hook I can use them for weights 3/4-2 oz too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2113_modified.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1922000

Comment

They dont need to be perfect teardrops they just need to be fairly streamlined as we use these as a downrigger for live bait. We use an elastic band and they have wire on the end.I seem to go through many of them even though I dont catch any damn fish.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
              Ah yes, much easier 👍

Comment

When I was a kid, I made them in plaster of paris moulds using a suitable bought one make the mould from. A bit of brass wire was cast in. I quickly learned to make sure the mould was dry before pouring the lead. With split aluminium mould and a ball end mill to match the large end, you would have to plunge the radius in both halves, and then improvise the tapered end with a smaller radius ball end mill. Making the moulds exactly the same will be a challenge, and I recommend milling to a centre line to make lining up the halves easier. Only looking at a finished casting will give you a proper idea of your milling prowess. The fish won't mind, just don't let the other fishermen see your efforts if they are poor, or especially not if they are a triumph.

Comment

Plunge ball mill to radius. Slot as you raise Z. Use a rotary table to make an eyelet with a smaller ball mill. Mirror on second part. Drill and countersink into bottom of sinker for sprue and gate. Eyelet down fills better. Not a perfect tear drop, but good enough if you just want to go fishing. If you have any issues with fill lightly dust the cavities with talcum powder. Works better than graphite spray or candle smoke guaranteed.

Employ variants of that thought process to make all kinds of molds manually. Pancake sinkers, teardrops, worms. All kinds of stuff. I used to make bullet molds with two blocks of wood and a drill press for my cap and ball pistol and my Pennsylvania rifle when I was a kid. Saved my money for powder and caps.
                  *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Bondo and silicone also work, but they burn out pretty quickly.
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      ^^this^^

Comment

Soup spoon!
                        Perfect for surf casting.
                        Len

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                          I would like to try make some teardrop sinkers around 3 to 5 ounce. I guess a mold of aluminum would work.But for the life of me I cant figure out without cnc how to mill cavities that are in the shape of a teardrop.
                          Love what you are doing. Um, silicon centrafuse.

My 20yo Sons GF is a at home hobby jewelry maker. She is upstairs making these things that people buy. Who knew, necessity brings out the best... Anyway

Anytime I see some chatter from the South I always look... JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

As a kid I molded them in sand using a spoon to form the cavity. No cope on the mold. Yes, I had to drill the hole.

Comment

I guess it depends on how many you're making, and how much time you're willing to spend to make the mold. You could turn a teardrop on the lathe, then make a plaster cast in two halves.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X