Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeah, O'l Metric System and catch up Everyone else, Please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, O'l Metric System and catch up Everyone else, Please.

I honestly dont know why we, as in Nations dont pick a Universal Measuring system.

I like Metric system. I only understand the Standard System and the Metric System, Meaning Decimals aka Fractions.

Fractions?! I dont want a Fraction when dealing with numbers. I want exacts. The Metric system gives you that.

Err! End of My Rant. Sorry. JR

P.S.. Had to work on a thing that used both today, soo.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

So........ who uses fractions on a print these days? I've not seen such a thing other than hobby folks and the stereotypical steam engine model. Those all seem to use fractions, and not just for raw stock sizes. But they are not relevant for much.

I guess I just don't understand your issue. Decimal inches, or metric, do not use fractions. I like metric too. The units are a good size for model sized stuff. And it's been legal for trade in the US for what... 154 years now?
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-16-2021, 02:07 AM.
    2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      So........ who uses fractions on a print these days? I've not seen such a thing other than hobby folks and the stereotypical steam engine model. Those all seem to use fractions, and not just for raw stock sizes. But they are not relevant for much.

I guess I just don't understand your issue. Decimal inches, or metric, do not use fractions. I like metric too. The units are a good size for model sized stuff. And it's been legal for trade in the US for what... 154 years now?
      I thought Decimal numbers were a portion or derivative of a fraction of say1. Sorry. JR

Again, I didnt go to school, ninth grade regurgitated me back out to the work force. Math and numbers are my hmmm.. 35th quality.

I cant see how in the decimal system you can round a number down to its final factor. Always gonna be a fraction of some sort is what I was thinking.

I would still like to go all metric for numbering.. JR
      Last edited by JRouche; 01-16-2021, 02:21 AM.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I work with metric or imperial equally well. The lathe and one of the mills are imperial and the other mill is metric. Occasionally one of the old volunteers gives me a drawing in fractions of an inch which have to be converted to more easily usable dimensions. Half of my manual micrometers are metric, as is the vernier height gauge and the internal tube micrometer. Both mill quills have digital readouts which work either way round and all the calipers have dual scales, manual or digital.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I thought Decimal numbers were a portion or derivative of a fraction of say1. Sorry. JR

Again, I didnt go to school, ninth grade regurgitated me back out to the work force. Math and numbers are my hmmm.. 35th quality.

I cant see how in the decimal system you can round a number down to its final factor. Always gonna be a fraction of some sort is what I was thinking.

I would still like to go all metric for numbering.. JR
          All are fractions, 1/8" is also expressed as125/1000".
          Using a common denominator is easier.

10.20 mm is also expressed as 10 1/5 mm

Comment

Go to a job site and ask the guy running the saw to cut you a board, 96.375". Better duck as said board is launched in your direction.

Write you state Governor, Senators and reps., maybe Kalifornia can become the first state the go 100% metric.

Comment

I suspect that asking someone to cut a board 2447.925 mm long would be far easier for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                I suspect that asking someone to cut a board 2447.925 mm long would be far easier for them.
                So.... those particular numerals and decimal point are easier than the other numerals and decimal point? What universe do you live in? Clearly not this one.

Maybe you mean that since it does not say "inches", then someone can more easily accept decimals? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Not every number is a fraction. There are numbers that can be expressed as a fraction, and ones that cannot. All of them can be expressed as decimals.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I think the biggest (stupidest) thing about the "Metric System" is their "great" thing about the use of ten as the basis and then the refusal to use Deka and Deci with measurements . For all the illiterates that is ten and one tenth . :-)
                  ...lew...

Comment

It may be important to mention that there are TWO "metric systems".

The "metric system" (which actually just means "the measuring system") is an ancient system that uses meters as the basic unit of length, liters for volume, and grams for weight (usually kilograms, a unit equal to 1000 of the basic gram unit).

What YOU are really talking about is "SI", Systeme Internationale", which is a scientific system "based on" the metric system, but extended and much more fully defined. THAT system "deprecates" or "discourages the use of" deciliters, and similar subdivisions of the basic units, Only the real hicks and rubes use those (according to SI).

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Well WRT (with respect to) the use of the term "Metric System" on all the computer forums I've read the "intent" is the SI bull**** that I was referring to. :-)
                      There are even more than two "metric systems" the Japanese and German usage both and maybe others have various versions that don't follow the SI exactly.

...lew...
                      Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 01-16-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Not every number is a fraction. There are numbers that can be expressed as a fraction, and ones that cannot. All of them can be expressed as decimals.
                        Only integers are not fractions
                        For practical purposes in machining all numbers expressed in decimal form are fractions with a common denominator.

.001/1000" is a fraction no?
                        1' = 1000/1000"
                        1 mm = 1000/1000 mm
                        100 people in a single room = 100/100 people there, if one leaves you now have 99/100 people.

Comment

I don't know what everybody's problem with the 2 systems are. A quarter of a MM is ~10 thou. C'mon Get with the program ;D

Comment

SI is not bullcrap, it is where "everything is at". But it is not "the metric system" (choose which you want; cgs, mks, etc, etc, german, french, japanese, chinese, or any of the other versions), it is better.

The French revolution essentially spawned the metric system, but it had been talked about for a while before that. I mean meters/grams/liters/seconds, because most of the things that SI "controls" were not even known things when "the metric system" was invented.

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                            Only integers are not fractions
                            For practical purposes in machining all numbers expressed in decimal form are fractions with a common denominator.

.001/1000" is a fraction no?
                            1' = 1000/1000"
                            1 mm = 1000/1000 mm
                            100 people in a single room = 100/100 people there, if one leaves you now have 99/100 people.
                            Every integer is a fraction, you said it yourself.

For "practical purposes"? Maybe......

A fraction is a ratio of integers, what mathematicians call a "rational" number. Not every number can be expressed as a ratio of integers.

Last edited by J Tiers; 01-16-2021, 12:17 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              I don't know what everybody's problem with the 2 systems are. A quarter of a MM is ~10 thou. C'mon Get with the program ;D
                              1 mm = 0.03937007874015748031496062992126", many home shop machinists find this daunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X