Some recently obtained interesting stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some recently obtained interesting stuff

The best monkey wrench I have seen/used. Smooth, and virtually no slop. Billings and Spencer. I did not see one like it over at Alloy artifacts, might have missed it.

Small adjustable wrench, C E Billings (predecessor to Billings and Spencer. Pat'd Feb 1879.

A tap that most will not recognize...... This one is 5/16-18

2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

A nice old breaker bar, Plomb.

A couple of chart recorders, Rustrak, from long ago. Fully working, 1" per hour, with lots of chart paper. One direct temperature, one 100 uA, but can be converted to read a thermocouple, would be good for checking and documenting heat profile in the small heat treat oven.

The direct temp one covers cal lab temps......

All of it, and more, on a "haul it away" basis.....
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-18-2021, 09:07 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

A nut tap.

Comment

The tap is indeed a nut tap.Nuts would accumulate on the shank and are driven to the curved end. The tap fits in a spindle that has a curved recess to match the curve of the tap shank. The width of the recess is equal to the across the corners dimension of the nut, plus a little clearance.

Comment

Have wondered where you interests lie, this explains a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
            Have wondered where you interests lie, this explains a good deal.
            ??????????? Good luck with that.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Yeah Jerry, Im jealous. You always find some really neat and quality stuff.

That first wrench a very nice. JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I can't believe how well looked after those finds are. Not sure of where they came from and it does not really matter.
                It's just good to see there are still lots of folks that respect that what they have is irreplaceable and do their best to keep some of these items preserved as best they can.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  The best monkey wrench I have seen/used. Smooth, and virtually no slop. Billings and Spencer. I did not see one like it over at Alloy artifacts, might have missed it.

That 1st one reminds me of one of my most treasured 'Grandad' tools, this 9" adjustable wrench. Can do things a Crescent pattern can't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	adjustable wrench.PNG
Views:	251
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	1922653

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                    Yeah Jerry, Im jealous. You always find some really neat and quality stuff.

That first wrench a very nice. JR
                    Wow..... You are the guy who pulls the most amazing stuff out of his stash........ This stuff is interesting, and several (not all) of them are useful, but I don't find random Talyvals around the place. I'd not be surprised if you did.... or an autocollimator.

Yes the monkey wrench will get some use, but not on random plumbing jobs. I keep ordinary tools for that sort of thing.

Knowing where these came from, I think the condition is more a case of not being in the primary tool boxes, but in the "special job" boxes. Not as much use.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-18-2021, 11:57 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

This stuff is interesting, and several (not all) of them are useful, but I don't find random Talyvals around the place. I'd not be surprised if you did.... or an autocollimator.
                      No, that my friend would be Mr. Macona (mad scientist). Although, I did see something a lil shiny in the corner the other day

Yes the monkey wrench will get some use, but not on random plumbing jobs. I keep ordinary tools for that sort of thing.

Knowing where these came from, I think the condition is more a case of not being in the primary tool boxes, but in the "special job" boxes. Not as much use.
                      That wrench is very nice. Trade a Bistablevibophytser for it? Its a Metal, vacuum tube (an Amp) Its Bi-stable so... JR

Comment

I fell into a nice old Plumb ¼" drive ratchet not too long ago - same exact logo. Needed a cleaning and relubrication, but good as new now. Nice little bugger.

Comment

The pivot on the Plomb is considerably larger than on my other similar bars. I would basically not be afraid to jump on the end of it getting a stuck nut off. Probably crack the socket before messing up the wrench (almost certainly.... I've busted a few sockets with the others).

They made their stuff to work and to last.

Apparently they were the original makers of "Proto" tools, they originated the name.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 01-19-2021, 12:33 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Years ago I had a co-worker that had two of those monkey wrenches and I've got a breaker bar just like the one in your picture along with a handful of sockets that I got from my Dad. I still use them on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                              I fell into a nice old Plumb ¼" drive ratchet not too long ago - same exact logo. Needed a cleaning and relubrication, but good as new now. Nice little bugger.
                              Oh yeah. Plumb has been around forever. I think I have six. maybe seven Plumb Hatchets. Yeah, I collect hatchets, go figure JR

Comment

Working...
                              X