No announcement yet.

Any plumbers on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The city works department is here now. They've opened up the casing, and 10 feet down is where my line crosses the bottom. They are unable to get a snake in more than about 6 inches. I'm surprised I had any drainage at all 5 days ago. The camera truck is on its way.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Apparently it's clay pipe- since they can't get the snake in, the assumption is that roots have grown overboard down there. I guess I'll know that shortly.

This is a metalworking site, but this is something we all may have to deal with at some point. I wonder what 'effluent' metalworking shops send out that's any different from sewage? Are there regulations to limit what goes out the drain?
      Last edited by darryl; 01-22-2021, 03:08 PM.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Here's hoping they find the blockage and clear it.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Your lucky the city is on to it, never would happen here. Problem here is that stinking Orangeburg stuff, once they went to PVC with glued joints everything is fine.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

My 50's era house had the dreaded Orangeburg pipe. Glorified paper mache. The pipe collapsed down to the diameter of the root living in there. It was the city tree (way back then - 70's - the city took responsibility for the trees in the parking strip) so they agreed to do the work if I would pay for the cast iron pipe. Pay once to do it right. Or pay again later.

Last time this house backed up I had to use the RV toilet for a couple of days. Better than nothing.

Good luck with a bad situation.

Mike

Comment

It started with one, then two, then three city trucks. They needed to water blast just to get into my pipe. They shoved a camera in and hit a block 6 meters in. I got about the same distance in from my side. The black goo is apparently from the tar paper that's wrapped around the clay pipe. I'm not expert on interpreting what the camera showed, but it looks like a sort of tan colored pile of rubble, so collapsed pipe is very probably. They said I'm in an older neighborhood and there have been similar problems near me.

I've dug a hole and I'm less than a foot from finding the pipe exiting the house. I have a friend coming over to watch me dig, apparently I better get back out there-

Comment

Sure enough, I had an audience. She offered to help, but I was there already. Here's an interesting development- there was a pipe sticking up above ground, and the previous owner said it was the old well pipe. He had the pump with a small water tank, the right fittings for the well pipe, and a pad for the pump to sit on. Well, I found the sewer pipe, followed the curve around- and it went right through the middle of the 'well' pipe.

That can't be, obviously. It's further away from the house than I thought the sewer pipe should be, from what I was told. I thought nothing of it- I cut the pipe off below ground as I had wanted to, partly to get rid of it, and partly to get it out of the way so I could keep digging. So now I've cut off my sewer vent pipe.

Comment

Nothing that a Fernco sleeve can't fix.
                  Is the town replacing your blocked lateral?

Comment

The towns obligation ends at the end of my pipe. I'm responsible for the entire length of my pipe. I'll be seeing about getting a backhoe in there tomorrow or monday.

Comment

Your vent pipe should be in your house not in the yard? Here in this part of the US they put a clean out pipe just outside the house, not always as I do not have such. Also here in this area its cast iron inside the house and extends to where it exits under the foundation a few feet then the Orangeburg or whatever out to the city sewer. All changed in modern construction. Good luck in your repairs.
                      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

I have a fifties house and it has cast iron drain pipe that goes under the basement floor exiting the front. The pipe extends to a trap which has a vent on one side and a capped pipe on the other side about ten feet from the house. This was a common practice and between the vent and capped section you can easily clean it out. I am not sure what part past the trap I am responsible for. I do know the county will clear the section from the trap to the street for free. Broken or damaged pipe from the trap to the street is a good question. I know when I did the water line I had no responsibility beyond the yard shutoff valve.

Comment

Around here, we are responsible for everything in the drain up to the sewer pipe. Includes the part out in the street. But water starts at the valve, gas at the meter, electric up at the peckerhead. The sewer folks have the best deal for them.
                          2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            Around here, we are responsible for everything in the drain up to the sewer pipe. Includes the part out in the street. But water starts at the valve, gas at the meter, electric up at the peckerhead. The sewer folks have the best deal for them.
                            I think it was a legal financial decision. Since the sewer line to the house is potentially more expensive then the other three (gas,electric, water] The cities and towns realized they could go broke paying for repairing or replacing these lines, plus trenches can be a legal nightmare (more$$$). The only people who make money are the plumbers when they get these jobs.

Comment

I have a machine operator guy coming Monday to assess it. One thing which I had not thought of at all was the potential existence of underground wiring, other pipes like gas pipes, etc. He needs a map from the city before he can dig at all. Fair enough. I have one line that I do know of that I know crosses over the sewer pipe. That's from my old satellite dish. I will tell him it's there so he doesn't freak out when he rips that out. So- 3 or more days before I can flush anything.

Good thing I have friends living nearby. I can use their facility in the meantime. I left a dime on the bathroom counter tonite.

Comment

darryl Here they call for a Locate and maybe you can call now to get it scheduled. They come out with detectors and mark all the lines before any digging. Suppose to be a 24/7 hotline.

Comment

Working...
                                X