Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harmonic drive? Boy. Another project to sidetrack..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic drive? Boy. Another project to sidetrack..

I think it would be a neat experiment to make a minimally printed 4th axis.. So - print only the inner and outer gear set. The rest would be metal. I think it might be 'good enough' for a lot of things. Could try different filament too.. (currently printing pla.) Then the next thought would be to use the rotary axis to then 'shape' the non-flex gear on the mill.. Then you would only have a plastic inner flex gear.

Very nice, thanks for the video, looking forward to
    the finished product.

Comment

or maybe this style to get rid of the cup... (but then has an extra gear mesh)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210127_104237.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	1924172

Name:	IMG_20210127_104628.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1924173

Name:	IMG_20210127_104354.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1924174

Comment

What ratio is it?

Comment

Dodge used this drive to open/close the headlight doors on the original Charger.

Comment

Very cool. I watched a few video on these a while back an got interested in printing my own also, but had too many things on the go at the time to consider it (still do). I think one could make a very serviceable 4th axis for a mini CNC mill with one. The potential is there for sure. Go for it......

Comment

Nice.

I did some printed HD type gear prototyping using a PLA circular spline and a ninjaflex flex spline a couple of years ago, before I had ever worked with a real metal HD. The secret sauce is entirely in the material and its insane fatigue life, which none of their competitors have figured out yet. Nidec Shimpo is getting close, though.

Igus is making a strain wave gear in NEMA stepper sizes now. I had some samples from them early on that were sintered nylon instead of injection molded.

Harmonic Drive makes a pancake style gearset similar to that one where there are two circular splines. and the flex is just floating freely in the thing.

What are you looking to do once you get the gearsets sorted out?
              -paul

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                What ratio is it?
                100:1

Comment

The moon rover used harmonic drives on the wheels. I used them on my telescope mount. I have a tiny one about the size of my thumb including motor that is attached to the focuser too.

You can get used ones pretty reasonably priced on eBay.

Comment

Comment

I'm just impressed you got that level of print out of an extruder, sweet!

Those cartridge bearings are handy for a lot of stuff. You can pop one inner race out and grind a few thou off the inner face to increase preload if needed.
                      Last edited by wierdscience; 01-28-2021, 09:42 AM.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That is a really cool project ! I will follow with great interest.

Oh yea, I just have to ask, is you 3d printer running off Linuxcnc?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                          That is a really cool project ! I will follow with great interest.

Oh yea, I just have to ask, is you 3d printer running off Linuxcnc?
                          heh - no. You use the right tool for the job at hand...

on a related note - I see how people come from 3d printing and think machining should be easy.. I mean - all you have to do is put a file on the machine and it just makes it right? Just like a 3d printer? When I got my first 3d printer - I had no real expectations going in. I now know why why they think this way. It is so easy compared to subtractive machining..

Comment

a bit scary - but it ran for over 6 hours before I stopped it. Surprisingly everything was intact.. input was about 850rpm

Comment

more info..

Comment

Working...
                              X