Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harmonic drive? Boy. Another project to sidetrack..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually starting to build something.,..

Comment

another update

Comment

Nice work. Really coming together now. Any durability issues with the flex gear yet, or have you not ran it enough to find out?

I'm going to be building a 4th axis drive in the next couple months too and might follow your lead. I want a through bore though, so that will present it's own set of challenges.......

Comment

If this works decent - I have some ideas for through hole.. I don't like that the stepper is sticking out the back - that makes it so I cannot stick the rotary axis vertical. I would want to create a wave generator assembly that is hollow and run it with a belt. Then the servo/stepper could be off to the side facing the other direction.

version 3 maybe

Comment

Great job! Following with interest. I've looked at the used ones on ebay before.
            Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
            olf20 / Bob

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
              If this works decent - I have some ideas for through hole.. I don't like that the stepper is sticking out the back - that makes it so I cannot stick the rotary axis vertical. I would want to create a wave generator assembly that is hollow and run it with a belt. Then the servo/stepper could be off to the side facing the other direction.

version 3 maybe
              If I could find a 40mm hollow stepper that would be perfect, but I'd take 30. A belt would probably be the easiest (and cheapest) option though. Kind of a shame to lose the direct drive benefits of a harmonic drive, by introducing some potential backlash with a belt, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes.

I have a product in mind that I want to run mill turn style from 1" bar stock. It might be scalable to 1.5" too, that's why the weird requirements.

Comment

I think this is wonderfully inspiring. The true worth of a 3d printer shining through 👍👍👍
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

another update....

Comment

Working...
                  X