• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nickel-city-fab--

Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Ahh OK, thanks -- pins. Yeah I have been "designing" an engine project in my head lately -- probably will not be nearly as small as yours though. I don't think I could work that small. Recently got a newer laptop computer, patiently waiting for some CAD software. I have a big learning curve ahead. I last used Solidworks in 2012 on a student license. Once you understand the program it's nice -- took me a few weeks to get comfortable.

Comment

• This is something worth mentioning---I find that these small, slow running 4 cycle engines work well with a total valve opening of 0.080" to 0.100". This of course is determined by the shape of the cam. It is always a good idea after the valve springs and valves are installed to use a finger to open the valve fully, and assure that the spring will actually let the valve open by about 0.025" more than that. If the spring compresses fully and the valve isn't opening as far as the cam dictates, something is going to bend or break. You will either bend the rocker, bend the pushrod, or (rarely) break the camshaft.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Gosh, are they all plastic now? Last time I built a model airplane they were all sheet metal, soldered together, probably galvanized steel. And they looked at least somewhat neat.

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
          Plastic ones? Na.
          Sure, they will work, but not look as good.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• With my newly repaired mill, I was finally able to turn my round piece of 1144 stessproof steel into a bar. I swear to God, there is as much work getting the material from a round bar (which is the only shape you can buy) to a piece of flat bar as there is in all the rest of the crankshaft machining. I milled one side flat, then used the bandsaw to cut the other side flat, then used the mill again to machine the third side flat. I haven't machined any of it down to finished size, because I'm trying to machine it in a manner to keep ahead of any bending or twisting of the material as internal stresses are released. 1144 doesn't move much, but it does move.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• The crankshaft is up on the lathe being turned. In this view, I have just finished machining the con rod boss, and the con-rod is setting in place for a trial fit. All of the turning was done with the carbide nosed cut-off tool in the picture.
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Brian we don't want to hear about your aches and pains. Pop some pills and get out in the shop! We want to see this engine run.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• BlackForest--If I didn't complain about my aches and pains, I might not have anything to talk about.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                    BlackForest--If I didn't complain about my aches and pains, I might not have anything to talk about.
                    My wife gives me 3 minutes every morning to complain about my various aches and pains. After the three minutes are up she tells me to get my ass to work! I really can sympathize with you and hope you can find some relief from the pain. Do what you can but don't feel bad at taking a break.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• And there we have it boys and girls. A completely finished crankshaft!! It turned out nice, no visible runout. Now I get to hitch up my horse and drive over to the physical therapist to see what he is going to do about my numb fingers and sore wrists.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Progress is being made. Today the engine is assembled with the finished crankshaft for the first time, and everything goes round and round like I had anticipated. Next step will be to machine a set of counterweights, a couple of pushrods, and do some creative painting.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONr8zvkZ6E
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I don't have the best set-up for wintertime painting here. It goes something like this--Get all the parts to be painted ready for paint and held in spare vices, vise grips, or anything else that's handy. Set up my big garbage pail with a board on top outside my office door. Set all the fixtured parts outside on the board, then paint them outside. After 10 minutes, move all the fixtured pieces inside where it's warm to dry. Wait one hour---change all the fixtured pieces around so the unpainted side is exposed, then carry them all back outside to set on the garbage pail. Spray paint again outside, then carry them all back inside to dry. It keeps most of the paint stink outside. I may get a bit high setting in my office until the paint is totally dry, but ya gets your kicks wherever you can----
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Glad to see yer up and at it again, Brian.

Comment

• This morning yielded a pair of bolt on counterweights for the crankshaft. They fit inside the crankcase as shown, and don't interfere with any thing as they rotate. I am almost ready to begin final assembly. I always go a little bit crazy deciding how to set the cams on my camshaft, but that is the only difficult part of what is left.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• We're not set up to run yet, but my, it certainly is pretty!! Tomorrow is "Make gaskets day" and try to set up the cams to the correct position on the cam shaft.

Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X