No announcement yet.

1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical i.c. Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home with more material. Grey cast iron for the cylinder and enough aluminum to make the outer gear case, the gas tank support, and a piece of 1/8" diameter brass rod to pin the flywheel with. That cost a grand total of $55.00. If you are an American looking at these prices I list for my builds, you can buy the same material for about 15 to 20% less, south of the Canadian border.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This gas tank support has more of an "artsy-fartsy" thing going on than the parts I usually make, but I like it. I think it adds a touch of beauty to an otherwise "plain Jane" engine. I have a bit more work to do on it, but I'll save that for tomorrow.

Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian, how much of the high cost you pay for materials is due to the tiny pieces you buy? Many, maybe most, metal suppliers charge cutoff charges for small pieces and often that cost is more than the material itself. I have found you can often buy a 8ft length of stock for only slightly more than a 1ft piece. Understandably, metal suppliers find orders for a few tiny pieces, all different materials, a nuisance and charge appropriately IF they will even do it. Its easy to see why a supplier would not be crazy about the idea of pulling a 20ft bar off the rack to cut a 4 inch piece off the end for someone. Even if a supplier does not itemize the surcharges, you can be sure they are included. "Time is money", I didn't make that one up.

As a example, have you priced a 4ft piece instead of a 6 inch piece and compared the price per foot? Better yet, buying a leftover piece on the rack avoiding cutting completely. Wouldn't hurt to have some stock that could be used on every engine build on hand. It seems you buy your materials in the most expensive way possible then post about the high cost.

I realize you are quite set in your ways, this is only mentioned as food for thought.
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-05-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Sparky--All of my suppliers sell metal based on weight and length. If a 10' length costs $10 then a forty foot piece costs $40. The only catch is that many of them charge 1/2 hour labour to pull the material and cut the part for you. Most of my suppliers also have "shorts" boxes where any steel left overs from a 20 foot "stick" get stored. They sell me these "shorts" for slightly less than full price, just to keep them from going to the scrap metal guys, who come around at the end of each month to buy all of the "shorts" for a low enough price that they can make a buck on scrapping them. Whenever I buy metal, I generally buy a piece twice as long as I actually need, so that I always have some left over stock to work with. These small engines cost me an average of $150 to build each one. That includes cost of sparkplug, points, condenser, and most of the fasteners.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I couldn't install the gas tank support without machining the body of the gas tank to mount and see what it looked like in place. I'm happy with that. This afternoon I hope to make the cylinder.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Daggone it, when you start, you burn through a build like a grass fire.... I cannot manage that, it always takes me longer. I may work a whole day, but then I take a day or more doing something else,

I don't know how you do it. Even when working, I had enough different stuff to do that I could put a design aside and do a different thing before coming back to it.
              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Brian, are you buying from Metals Supermarket? I have a store here south of the border only about 15km from me and they're traditionally 30-50% higher than anywhere else.

A couple months ago I needed two steel flats, 10 inches square x 3/8 thick. They quoted me $110 usd. Upon hearing that I freaked and the girl at the store said hang on. She came back 15 seconds later with how does $62 sound. I told her to sit tight and I'll call back. Another supplier although farther away had them for around 25 bucks. Metals Supermarket rather pissed me off with that incident. Firstly with the high price then with the almost half off. They lost their credibility with me.

I've been using this outfit with good availability and pricing. I trust shipping to ON would be prohibitive though. https://hobbymetalkits.com/
                A lot of what he sells is shown as 12 inch lengths. This is as the us post has a shipping box with the caveat if it fits it ships for a decent rate. The box will accept 12 inch lengths.
                Last edited by I make chips; 02-05-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

And just at the point where I was congratulating myself on what a fine machinist I was getting to be---My parting off blade decided to squirm around in the holder, and eat the center fin damn near off. Do you know what "Hubris" is? Ah, poop!!! We'll just cut off all the lower fins and run with it. It won't affect the way the engine works--the hottest part is up near the top of the cylinder anyways.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well, this is a slightly different look than I had in mind, but it will do. By the time the cylinder base gets squared off everything else gets mounted to the engine, it won't be noticeable. If anybody asks, well, "I planned it this way!!" :cartwheel: :cartwheel:
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jerry--I don't really have a good answer to your comment, but I've been like this my entire life. Others have remarked on the same thing over the years. I was like this as a young man, and now I find that I'm like this as an old man. I have always had more energy than I know what to do with.---The other factors are that it's winter in the middle of a pandemic. I can't go somewhere to visit anyone, no one can come to visit me, and I've read so much that I'm now waiting for all of my authors to publish new books.---Brian
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can do it for a while.... when I get started I am hard to stop, at least that day, but I get bored when it turns into a "job", and I have to change tasks. My hat is off to you for your basic drive.
                        2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

And if you wonder what I've been doing for the last 7 hours, this is it. A cylinder head. It certainly is nice to have a milling machine with such tremendous headroom as this one. In this picture the head is raised almost to it's limits with the engine held in the mill vice while I drill the holes in the top of the cylinder for the cap screws which hold the head in place.

Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I like your Gas Tank Support,looks real Classy!

Comment

And what exciting things are in store for tomorrow??---A big clean up to get all of the cast iron dust and chips off my lathe and mill. Nasty, nasty stuff!!! I may work up enough energy to pin the spokes in the flywheel with a piece of brass rod I bought, but no seven hour thrash like today.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Having a bit of a lazy day today. Lathe and mill clean up and maybe pin the flywheel together as per the drawing.
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X