No announcement yet.

1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical i.c. Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a lot of machining done today, but some. I made up the fittings for the discharge end of the gas tank and got everything silver soldered or J.B. Welded together and cleaned up. Gas tank is now ready for paint. Gas tank, gear case, flywheel and rocker arms will be painted, and maybe the cooling fan. I haven't thought much about a color yet, but it will be a Tremclad color. Laying on the desk behind the engine is a piece of 1144 stress-proof steel I picked up today to become a one piece crankshaft, and a length of 1/2" brass round rod to make miscellaneous bits and bobs from.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• And at the closing of the day---We have two valve cages and two valves. The valves haven't been separated from their parent material yet, as I will use that for a "handle" when lapping the valves into their seats in the valve cages. The valve cages will get a hole thru the side, but won't be drilled until after they are Loctited into the cylinder head. That way I can drill the cylinder head and the valve cage at the same time. The cages will get the valve seat cut into them after they have been loctited into the head. In an earlier post I mentioned that I had picked up a weird size endmill. The maximum diameter of the valve cages is 0.375" diameter. They are sunk into a counterbore in the cylinder head. A 0.375" counterbore would have been too small, and a .438" counterbore would be too big. My "weird size" counterbore is 0.406" diameter, which should be "just right".(Makes me think of Goldilocks and the three bears).
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Today I used my odd size endmill and put the counterbores for the valve cages into the cylinder head. The cages were coated with #638 Loctite and then pushed into place. You can't really call it a press fit, because if it was a press fit the brass cages would collapse. It's more of a "perfect sliding fit". I will wait 24 hours for the Loctite to cure, then drill inlet and exhaust ports thru the cylinder head and the valve cages at the same time. Then I will lap the valves into the seats. I also made the timing adjustment handle today. I took a quick look thru all my available compression springs to see if any of them would work as valve springs, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Also made the adapter for the Traxxas carb but forgot to include it in the picture. I attached the gas tank into it's snazzy support using J.B. Weld. I'm running out of small things to make. Still have the cams and the crankshaft to machine. The cams and lifters will be made from 01 steel and flame hardened.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Today seen the cylinder head drilled for intake and exhaust ports, and the muffler, carb adapter and carburetor mounted to the cylinder head. The oil filler tube was machined, along with the brass screw-on filler cap. I drove up north to see my 100 year old mother today, but she is fading badly. The nursing home is all locked down under Covid rules, and I had to get a test earlier in the week to confirm that I didn't have it.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Ahh, that sux about your mom -- I've been thru that already.
            Out of all the engines you've built, I like the way this one looks the most.
            Even though looks don't mean much in engineering, I do believe elegance plays a part in design.
            Crazy off-the-wall idea: incorporate the rocker arm mount into the gas tank bracket, bolting it onto the head at the far end.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your Mom Brian. My heart really goes out to everybody who has family and loved ones in nursing home right now.

I like the design of this engine. It looks very motorcycle-esque.

Comment

• I hope all goes well for your Mom.
                Yes, it does look very motorcycle-esque
                Kind of like the vertical engines of Triumph, Norton, Royal Enfield.
                All classics

Comment

• Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi, fellows. The engine is progressing nicely, and each day I have fewer and fewer parts to make. My mom was a great mother, but she's tired now and would just like to lay down the torch and join my father. It is very sad to see her slipping away. I've spoken to her twice a week for the last 25 years, but she's a bit too deaf to have phone conversations with now.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                    I hope all goes well for your Mom.
                    Yes, it does look very motorcycle-esque
                    Kind of like the vertical engines of Triumph, Norton, Royal Enfield.
                    All classics
                    And BSA too!

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

And BSA too!
                      May God bless Brian.
                      Gosh, there could be a whole series of engines in the motorcycle-esque stye:
                      Vertical twin (all the classics mentioned)
                      V-twin (Harley)
                      transverse twin (Moto-Guzzi)
                      flat-twin (BMW)
                      Ducati-twin
                      flat-four (Goldwing)
                      vertical-triple (Triumph)(Kawasaki triple 2-stroke)
                      transverse-fours
                      and,,,,all of them are different !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                        . . . My mom was a great mother, but she's tired now and would just like to lay down the torch .. .
                        I know you grew up in an isolated saw-milling town. Did your mother grow up in that sort of environment too? I'm thinking it might have been quite a challenge if she came there from a city.
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

May God bless Brian.
                          Ducati-twin
                          The Ducati valve gear will drive him over the edge. There's no way to design that kind of insanity without CAD.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

The Ducati valve gear will drive him over the edge. There's no way to design that kind of insanity without CAD.
                            Are you planting a seed?

I anxiously await seeing Brian complete a Duc bevel drive by the end of next weekend

Comment

Gosh, there could be a whole series of engines in the motorcycle-esque stye:
                              . . .
                              and,,,,all of them are different !!!
                              The most different was the Puch split single -- two cylinders but only one spark plug. I owned one, for a few months in 1969.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Are you planting a seed?

I anxiously await seeing Brian complete a Duc bevel drive by the end of next weekend
                                actually I was thinking of the Desmodronic "spring-less" valve gear, it uses cams to both raise and lower the valves. With *very* small clearances.

Comment

Working...
                                X