What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    I was thinking of trying to redesign and see if I can get a digital scale in its place. Would give me more travel.
    One of the always-on-the-back-burner projects I have is a pair of way-clamps for the lathe that double as removable DRO mounts for the Z-axis. Where the moving head of the DRO attaches is the open question - I've seen some mods to the threading dial that would work, but there are a lot of extra tapped holes in the cross-slide threading stop so something could be fixed there too. Or a couple of the screws on the apron could be replaced with longer ones that also hold down a mounting plate. Decisions, decision.

Comment

• I've not got a threading dial to be in the way.....although I did get as far as buying some gears that are the right pitch and number of teeth. I have a defective indicator arm and mini mag base that the supplier replaced and asked me to dispose of the faulty one. I'm thinking the mini mag base might make a good way of mounting to the carriage without drilling holes in it. Was wondering whether it might serve double duty and mount the gears for a thread dial too....but I'm getting well ahead of myself now

Comment

• I would not trust a magnet to hold gears for a thread dial. It would not have to slip much at all to be worse than useless.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• I'll be honest Mickey, I have absolutely no idea. I've only every threaded without one - usually with the half-nuts left engaged but for the right pitch thread, you can't miss and it makes things easier. I'll confess I'm a bit jealous of those who have the option though....I just need to make a metric one.
          Might at least work well enough for prototyping so I can find out I don't like the positioning before I drill the holes!

Comment

• What did I screw up today? My golf swing. Ducked out at lunch for the first bucket of range balls for the year, and it was terrible. Still looking forward to Sundays first round though, unless we're going into a full lockdown again

Comment

• What you need to do Dan is take the right choice of buddy with you next time. With the right choice driving next to you, your swing will look fantastic! I'd volunteer but I'm miles away!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                What did I screw up today? My golf swing. Ducked out at lunch for the first bucket of range balls for the year, and it was terrible. Still looking forward to Sundays first round though, unless we're going into a full lockdown again
                I found your problem. You didn't beer up. I'm no good until I've got a beer in me to relax, then I'm decent until the beer effect overrides the relaxing effect and starts to become a negative thing.
                Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                  I found your problem. You didn't beer up. I'm no good until I've got a beer in me to relax, then I'm decent until the beer effect overrides the relaxing effect and starts to become a negative thing.
                  I'm the same way. A beer helps to loosen up and not think too much. Always rusty coming off the couch after winter though, but I started showing signs of life near the end of the bucket. Was just nice to get out and enjoy the beautiful day.

Cenedd, now I know why my buddies always call me for a round

Comment

• I was about 3 hours into the piece with the yellow paint when I realized that the hole with the X is 1/8” off. That was after I put 3 prints together this morning and looked up at a skylight. I wish I could show how awful these CAD drawings are dimensioned, but I’d probably get some legal hassles. Ultimately it’s my screw up drilling the hole, so this is my mea culpa. The piece in the vice is almost ready for the oven.Click image for larger version

Name:	3475E62E-854B-4771-A6DC-89FD3B931CA9.jpeg
Views:	382
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1943400
                    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                      I wish I could show how awful these CAD drawings are dimensioned, but I’d probably get some legal hassles. Ultimately it’s my screw up drilling the hole, so this is my mea culpa.
                      Lemme guess, dimension lines called from the nearest handy spot instead of one location, using a mixture of units to an arbitrary precision? Yeah, I've had a few of those when "breaking in" new engineers.... had one guy that was calling out structural steel weldments to three decimal places from wherever he felt like, ignoring tolerance stackup over a span of 20 feet... ... and yes, in mixed fractional/decimal units. With no tolerance given. The boss had started him at $40k/yr.

Same guy also had a habit of calling out a dimension line from a surface that did not exist as constructed. Or else was completely inaccessible to measure from.
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Lemme guess, dimension lines called from the nearest handy spot instead of one location, using a mixture of units to an arbitrary precision? Yeah, I've had a few of those when "breaking in" new engineers.... had one guy that was calling out structural steel weldments to three decimal places from wherever he felt like, ignoring tolerance stackup over a span of 20 feet... ... and yes, in mixed fractional/decimal units. With no tolerance given. The boss had started him at $40k/yr.

Same guy also had a habit of calling out a dimension line from a surface that did not exist as constructed. Or else was completely inaccessible to measure from.
                        That reminded me of when the John Deere dealer in the next town put up a big new shop back in the 60's. Once the walls were up, one of the locals they had hired on was given the job of marking out the spacings for the premade rafters every 2 feet apart. Instead of using a steel roll up tape measure (I believe you could get them in 50 and 100 foot lengths) anchored at one end, he used a carpenter's square. You can imagine how that panned out once they started to install the 4x8 plywood roofing.

Comment

• Yeah, it’s all that Nickel mentioned and more. Some of the dimensions are only on the die set or assembly drawing and you have to have 3 drawings next to each other and decide which surface is more important. Is it the .9375 or the .938 at the other side ?
                          He has the top diameter, bottom diameter and depth of 90 deg. countersinks on a non standard diameter counterbore for a socket head cap screw. The screw holes are also non standard so a piloted counterbore wouldn’t work.

I learned drafting in ‘68, did some college Acad classes in ‘90 and then did some geometric tolerance classes for medical stuff mid ‘90s. Never saw anything like what this guy is defecating into a PC.
                          Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                          9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post

That reminded me of when the John Deere dealer in the next town put up a big new shop back in the 60's. Once the walls were up, one of the locals they had hired on was given the job of marking out the spacings for the premade rafters every 2 feet apart. Instead of using a steel roll up tape measure (I believe you could get them in 50 and 100 foot lengths) anchored at one end, he used a carpenter's square. You can imagine how that panned out once they started to install the 4x8 plywood roofing.
                            I have a 150’ Stanley tape measure one side the Feet increments are in inch’s the other side is in tenths of a Foot ,there has been screw ups with getting them confused.

Comment

• aving lost my tape measure, I borrowed a colleagues tape measure as he was having a day off. He hadn't mentioned that the end inch of it was broken off, and it took me a while to realise this. MNever borrowed it again!
                              'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                                I have a 150’ Stanley tape measure one side the Feet increments are in inch’s the other side is in tenths of a Foot ,there has been screw ups with getting them confused.
                                Had something similar with a steel rule that the manufacturers decided would look cooler without the tens marked: ie 8,9,10,1,2....8,9,20,1,2
                                Yeah, you can imagine how long that screw-up took to happen! I mostly use other rules but I treated it to some tens with a paint marker just in case

Comment

Working...
                                X