What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    I was thinking of trying to redesign and see if I can get a digital scale in its place. Would give me more travel.
    One of the always-on-the-back-burner projects I have is a pair of way-clamps for the lathe that double as removable DRO mounts for the Z-axis. Where the moving head of the DRO attaches is the open question - I've seen some mods to the threading dial that would work, but there are a lot of extra tapped holes in the cross-slide threading stop so something could be fixed there too. Or a couple of the screws on the apron could be replaced with longer ones that also hold down a mounting plate. Decisions, decision.

Comment

• I've not got a threading dial to be in the way.....although I did get as far as buying some gears that are the right pitch and number of teeth. I have a defective indicator arm and mini mag base that the supplier replaced and asked me to dispose of the faulty one. I'm thinking the mini mag base might make a good way of mounting to the carriage without drilling holes in it. Was wondering whether it might serve double duty and mount the gears for a thread dial too....but I'm getting well ahead of myself now

Comment

• I would not trust a magnet to hold gears for a thread dial. It would not have to slip much at all to be worse than useless.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• I'll be honest Mickey, I have absolutely no idea. I've only every threaded without one - usually with the half-nuts left engaged but for the right pitch thread, you can't miss and it makes things easier. I'll confess I'm a bit jealous of those who have the option though....I just need to make a metric one.
          Might at least work well enough for prototyping so I can find out I don't like the positioning before I drill the holes!

Comment

• What did I screw up today? My golf swing. Ducked out at lunch for the first bucket of range balls for the year, and it was terrible. Still looking forward to Sundays first round though, unless we're going into a full lockdown again

Comment

• What you need to do Dan is take the right choice of buddy with you next time. With the right choice driving next to you, your swing will look fantastic! I'd volunteer but I'm miles away!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                What did I screw up today? My golf swing. Ducked out at lunch for the first bucket of range balls for the year, and it was terrible. Still looking forward to Sundays first round though, unless we're going into a full lockdown again
                I found your problem. You didn't beer up. I'm no good until I've got a beer in me to relax, then I'm decent until the beer effect overrides the relaxing effect and starts to become a negative thing.
                Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                  I found your problem. You didn't beer up. I'm no good until I've got a beer in me to relax, then I'm decent until the beer effect overrides the relaxing effect and starts to become a negative thing.
                  I'm the same way. A beer helps to loosen up and not think too much. Always rusty coming off the couch after winter though, but I started showing signs of life near the end of the bucket. Was just nice to get out and enjoy the beautiful day.

Cenedd, now I know why my buddies always call me for a round

Comment

Working...
                  X