No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th of a foot measurement is used in oil field core measurement and land surveying

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4347.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	817.0 KB
ID:	1943618

In the above picture The bore was called out 5/8" for a steam engine bearing block. So in the middle of the boring process the grand son comes in the shop and asks " whatcha doing gpa?" So I explain and continue on with the boring process, making cuts and confirming the size. Made a few cuts and hit it right on the number, .652".

Damn

lg
      no neat sig line
      near Salem OR

Comment

• Originally posted by larry_g View Post
        So I explain and continue on with the boring process, making cuts and confirming the size. Made a few cuts and hit it right on the number, .652".

Damn

lg
        no neat sig line
        So now you can explain "bushings" ! and "engine rebuilding"
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Typical "chip in the QCTP", 100 parts using 3 tools, face, OD turn, drill then bore.
          The bore is .793" +.002 -.000, after 30+ parts one finished at .797".

If the bore or OD tolerance is less then .001" I do not change tools at all with a tool post, do the critical operations without removing the tool block if possible.
          Last edited by Bented; 05-20-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bented View Post

If the bore or OD tolerance is less then .001" I do not change tools at all with a tool post, do the critical operations without removing the tool block if possible.
            Ditto. Once I get a setup I keep it as long as possible. I *might* change an insert if needed, but then I'll start that cut or tool path over again from the beginning.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• I can honestly say I didn't screw anything up today. Why? I'm lounging with a nasty head cold and did essentially nothing all day.
              Can't say I won't eff up the computer though.

Comment

• When is a tapered tap (R1/4) not a tapered tap? When it's bloody parallel all the way down Branded, etched R1/4, nice boxed set, no use. Luckily I worked out that it didn't match the tap drill size before I (tried to) tapped the hole! Bank holiday weekend here so a good week before the right tap will turn up - assuming I can find one that doesn't claim "UK Seller" or "UK stock" and then post them slow-boat from China Don't get me wrong, I don't mind buying direct from China (with the silly token postage rates) - it's not like it's not come from there anyway - but when I don't mind waiting for it to arrive.

Also, my part is a rectangular cuboid so there are four long faces. I managed to drill two of the wrong faces because I'm a half-wit. Those I can plug though. I think the world is telling me to call time on machining today!

Comment

• The sound of a failing live center.
                  https://bented.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-LNWgQrG/A

Comment

• I put some 6309 bearings on a 15hp motor. The press was pissing out oil (dad didn't reseal it right) so I finished beating them on with a hammer and pipe.

Got home and gave it a few seconds of thought.... I forgot to put the end bell bearing retainers first.

Welp.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by Bented View Post

what am I supposed to hear? Just sounded like normal machine noises to me

'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post

what am I supposed to hear? Just sounded like normal machine noises to me
                        The droning sound is the bearing failure, it only has to last 2 more parts however (-:
                        It is a cheap center with poor sealing, you can't keep the coolant out.

Comment

• I mowed.

Last time I noticed the engine was smoking out of the fan hole when I shut it off. I opened the dipstick and it smoked out of there too. Oil was considerably lower and darker. Well I was gonna change the oil but got lazy so I mowed again today. I could definitely smell oil when mowing, but it was mowing fine. When I stopped I pulled the dipstick before shutting it off. It about parted my hair with the oil mist it blew out.

I suspect I blew up the ring lands by starting it with either every time. Damn briggs fuel pump won't pump without the motor running. So I guess I'll get to try my hand at boring the cylinder if it's screwed up.

Piece of junk.

Comment

• ????? Should be enough fuel in the carb reservoir to start up and get the pump running. I assume you have the old type carb on the fuel tank with the pull choke or the like?

I like the bowl type carbs, but all of them ought to start on what's in the reservoir. You may have a leak. The old carbs that are in/on the fuel tank have to be flat to a couple thou on both parts or they don't work right, but that is not involved with gas in the reservoir.... maybe a crack? or enough leakage to mess up suction until there is a lot of airflow.

Or maybe you have some totally other carb on a newer mower. Some new units are POS from the get-go.
                            4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• It's a John Deere L120 I think. All I know is that is has a vaccum fuel pump and it won't do diddle without it running. Dad replaced it once before, didn't help.

I'll admit, as a youth, carbs are before my time and I don't care to learn. Only so much knowledge once can obtain in this world and gas engines and carbs aren't high on my radar. I know a lot of old timers will clutch their 4 barrels til they die, but I'd just assume everything was diesel or electric. No love in my heart for ****ty little gas engines. So I don't tend to fix them if they "work".

Dad will probably help with the fuel side of things and I'll do the mechanicals and it will run again. Probably. If not I'll kick the POS to the curb and find a real mower.

Comment

• Ah, well, I don't love them either, but I do fix them. It usually is not hard.

They are what they are, you deal with them on their terms, or not at all. Like most things.

I find that when things are fixed right, they keep working. Otherwise, less so.
                                4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X