Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The answer is called a fuel bulb and they are less than $7. Put it in the fuel line close to the fuel tank. One or two squeezes and the carburetor is full. Much cheaper and better for the engine than using starting fluid.

    Comment


    • Closed the car door on a Samsung tablet over the weekend, twice.
      Did not damage the door but also did not improve the tablet.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Bented View Post
        Closed the car door on a Samsung tablet over the weekend, twice.
        Did not damage the door but also did not improve the tablet.
        ..... Must have looked like it still worked, so ya hit it again did ya?😁
        If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

        Lillooet
        British Columbia
        Canada.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
          I mowed.

          Last time I noticed the engine was smoking out of the fan hole when I shut it off. I opened the dipstick and it smoked out of there too. Oil was considerably lower and darker. Well I was gonna change the oil but got lazy so I mowed again today. I could definitely smell oil when mowing, but it was mowing fine. When I stopped I pulled the dipstick before shutting it off. It about parted my hair with the oil mist it blew out.

          I suspect I blew up the ring lands by starting it with either every time. Damn briggs fuel pump won't pump without the motor running. So I guess I'll get to try my hand at boring the cylinder if it's screwed up.

          Piece of junk.
          I recently mowed my lawn for the first time this year and had my mower stored in a shed that was a little over full. (I've since cleared it out.) It was stored on a bit of an angle and when I fired it up, (it started first pull) it literally was blowing oil out the exhaust and smoking like crazy! It took over half a minute to clear up but it ran fine after that. Driveway is still stained though!
          Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

          Comment


          • (Bumping old thread)

            1) Needed to profile some connecting rods for a hot-air engine, but my milling-on-the-lathe setup didn't work out. Now it's on to Plan B which is to make a 1/4" radius form tool for the shaper out of some O1 drill rod. The connecting rods are brass so hopefully I can take decent depths-of-cut without chatter. Plan C would be to rough it out and file to layout lines.

            2) I fixed up a Nulite 2M gas lantern from the 1920s, and it worked for a couple minutes, but then it acted like the generator was clogged (the jet was clear). I'll have to try re-cleaning it, or more drastically, gutting and re-packing it with glass fibers (original packing is asbestos).
            Location: Northern WI

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
              The answer is called a fuel bulb and they are less than $7. Put it in the fuel line close to the fuel tank. One or two squeezes and the carburetor is full. Much cheaper and better for the engine than using starting fluid.
              Old issue....

              But the carbs on the tank do not have any exposed fuel line..... His engine may have some though Did not think JD would have one of the super-simple engines.
              4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

              Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

              Everything not impossible is compulsory

              "There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

              Comment


              • I screwed up the paper filter thing in the coffee maker. Of course not seeing it gave me a cup of 80 grit coffee. Hope it's not an omen for today as it was only 5:30 in the morning.

                Comment


                • gave me a cup of 80 grit coffee.
                  That's "Roughage". Just means you can skip the bran muffin.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

                    That's "Roughage". Just means you can skip the bran muffin.
                    Nah, man, that's "strength" because your gut will be able to extract more caffeine.
                    I used to take my coffee like that back in the 90's but I got old fast.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • Boring an off centre hole in a block of nylon in a 4 jaw chuck and then finding the tube that it was to slide onto was not exactly round and I had measured the smallest part. This was found out after taking the chuck off the lathe. Next Wednesday, I will have to set it back up and get it running correctly and then take another 0.005" out of the bore.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        Boring an off centre hole in a block of nylon in a 4 jaw chuck and then finding the tube that it was to slide onto was not exactly round and I had measured the smallest part. This was found out after taking the chuck off the lathe. Next Wednesday, I will have to set it back up and get it running correctly and then take another 0.005" out of the bore.
                        Ouch -- I'll bet you'll want a razor-sharp tool for that
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                        Comment


                        • old mart That's ok, I modelled up a dust extraction adapter and 3D printed it. 3 hour print done, I tested it and it was rather tight. Might have been because I somehow modelled the 1° (per side) taper backwards
                          Re-print fits much better! 3D printing: the dimensional accuracy is a bit hit and miss....but you can try again while you kick back with a beer

                          Comment


                          • Update:
                            80 grit coffee does not make me fart sparks so that's settled.
                            Changed oil and trans fluid and filters in wifey's Altima. No leaks etc., so I think I should stop pushing my luck for today.

                            Besides, it's cocktail time.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                              old mart That's ok, I modelled up a dust extraction adapter and 3D printed it. 3 hour print done, I tested it and it was rather tight. Might have been because I somehow modelled the 1° (per side) taper backwards
                              Re-print fits much better! 3D printing: the dimensional accuracy is a bit hit and miss....but you can try again while you kick back with a beer
                              3D prints shrink in X and Y, but not Z with extrusion methods. PETG is about 2%. When printing holes, you need to enlarge the hole by half the diameter of the nozzle.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                                3D prints shrink in X and Y, but not Z with extrusion methods. PETG is about 2%. When printing holes, you need to enlarge the hole by half the diameter of the nozzle.
                                Thanks RB211 I'll have a play with the numbers on it. I'd definitely noticed holes are smaller than they should be but I'd not worked out a reliable formula for compensating yet. I was looking at percentage shrink but hadn't thought about the nozzle size as part of it. When I finally get round to finishing up drill stands, it'll be essential to get that right!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X