No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I managed to drill and tap 2 holes and half drill a third in a steel plate in the wrong position, my fault entirely. Fortunately, they are well out of position and their presence does not make re drilling a bother.
    The good luck I had today was tightening a 16mm 8 flute new solid carbide endmill 5" long by hand into the er25 holder in the mill, Fitting the spanners on and turning them the wrong way. The endmill bounced off the bed, and onto the concrete floor nose down. I hadn't taken off the dip coating and nothing was harmed.
    Last edited by old mart; 03-03-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by old mart View Post
      a 16mm 8 flute new solid carbide endmill 5" long ...
      The endmill bounced off the bed, and onto the concrete floor nose down. ...
      What that endmill must have cost!! And the anguish that you must have felt as it was headed to the floor!!

Comment

• It was stated in an earlier post you learn by your mistakes well what I have learned by now I must be a genius

Comment

• Originally posted by RB140 View Post
          It was stated in an earlier post you learn by your mistakes well what I have learned by now I must be a genius
          That is a misquote. It should have been, "some people learn from their mistakes". I've watched enough Youtube videos to realize that some people just don't have the ability to learn from mistakes and make them over and over.🙄

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
            ................. (Yes, I'm painfully aware this is a 1st world problem)
            Maybe it is not so "first world".

Out in the boonies of Africa, there are not many banks. BUT a lot of people have smart phones even there. So there is apparently money transfer via smart phone, even in what is otherwise a very third world area. I admit to being surprised, but it makes a lot of sense.
            4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

What that endmill must have cost!! And the anguish that you must have felt as it was headed to the floor!!
              I only paid about £8 for it, about 1/10 of its standard price, but it still caused momentary consternation. I have about 10 of them, different lengths and flute counts all brand new bought a couple at a time from an ebay seller. The last pair were 16mm 2 flute ballnosed, about 3 1/2" long. I keep an eye out for his sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMinMN View Post

That is a misquote. It should have been, "some people learn from their mistakes". I've watched enough Youtube videos to realize that some people just don't have the ability to learn from mistakes and make them over and over.🙄
                Well it has been said you can't fix stupid

Comment

• Making the lever for the Levin drill press, I drilled the clamp screw for 10-24 instead of 8-32. I was sure I would break into the shaft hole when threading, but it did not.

By way of compensation, I lined up the slitting saw perfectly. Then I noticed that is seemed loose when I started the cut. Yep, it was, so now the clamp slot is off-center just enough to notice. I did want the lever as perfect as possible, since it is a Levin, but I'm not making another one.
                  4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• I've got a round plastic wastepaper basket (bin) in my workshop. Stuff fell over and shattered it. I borrowed one from another room pending the opportunity to replace it. The very next day, some clamps slid off the bench and shattered the new one. They're not even that easy to break, it has to have hit it at just the right angle. Bin number three is looking very nervous now!

Also: Width != Depth At least not once you've started cutting features into it while it's effectively sideways *facepalm*

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Making the lever for the Levin drill press, I drilled the clamp screw for 10-24 instead of 8-32. I was sure I would break into the shaft hole when threading, but it did not.

By way of compensation, I lined up the slitting saw perfectly. Then I noticed that is seemed loose when I started the cut. Yep, it was, so now the clamp slot is off-center just enough to notice. I did want the lever as perfect as possible, since it is a Levin, but I'm not making another one.
                      I looked up Levin Drill Press,those are real cool and very pricey,does yours have OEM Motor.Interesting how table elevates rather than Quill.

Comment

• The lower bearing seized in the pump for my Watts zero waste Ro system, that also let the smoke out of the 24V power supply for it. 😐
                        While pulling it apart I broke the plate that holds the brushes, I know better too. 😑
                        I fixed it with some JB weld, a new bearing and power supply.
                        Cheers,
                        jon
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I modified a motorcycle part for a friends chopper project. I had to turn a shaft to .875 to accept a tapered roller bearing and thread the end 7/8-14.for 1". No problem. When I single point, I cut it close and then clean up with a die but I didn't have a 7/8-14 die so I ordered one from A-zon and had it the next day. Clamped the part in the vise and applied some tap magic and started the die which took to the threads readily as I figured I was close. Then the die started to turn a bit harder but was was moving down the shaft like it was supposed. The force required became less as I moved along until I ran out of thread. Backed the die off only to find the first 1/2" of threads were essentially gone! It looked like part had been put in a lathe and turned to leave only a hint of the the threads. I can't understand how that might have happened. Actually, a possible cause just dawned on me so I have to go to the shop to check the die.

Comment

• Tommy bars with tapped soft ball bearings for ends. Turn down the end for a die, spot on. Same number for the next on, stands to reason...unless you swung the compound round so it was out the way. Die is really easy when you're only cutting 10% threads
                            Meh, one end needs permanent Loctite anyway *shrug*

Comment

• Not machining related at all, but after three years off the road, in bits, I finally put the "tupperware" back on my Suzuki Burgman 400 K8 scooter. By tupperware, I mean the plastic bodywork. The biggest bit was the front fairing with the light cluster built in. It is hard to fit, especially if you cannot remember how it came off and have atthritis and a bad back. I got it on today and with a couple of gallons of fresh fuel to dilute the old stuff, it started with only 20 seconds of cranking. Unfortunately while testing the lights, the left front indicator did not work. Well that was not entirely true, it could be seen winking if you looked up between the front forks, I had missed out plugging it into the rear of the light unit. Like many modern cars, there is no way easy way to reach the lights and the entire front end had to be moved far enough to reach the light and fit it properly. Still the engine now starts instantly now that the fuel injection system is primed.

Comment

Working...
                              X