No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup, this thread is an instant winner !!

Comment

Got my radiant floor heating started Sunday and it's working great. I then decided that the expansion tank was crooked where the 45's are to keep the tank from looking level. Well I tried to force it being it's copper and had been soldered I figured it would flex the bit I wanted to realign it. Well it sprung a leak instead of moving. I just can't leave some things alone. Now I have to drain it some and repair the solder joints and then refill it with water. All because I couldn't leave it alone. dumb💩

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_164928955.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	1924282

TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

Linear compensation on my milling machine DRO....

Screwed it up 3 times, before getting it right. Chinese paper work didnt help ??? Hell to get old.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Fasturn; 01-27-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Last week I was slotting a piece of tube with a carbide saw blade made for wood. Well it worked fine for aluminum, so I thought I would try it on steel. I got about 3/4 of the way through before it started spitting teeth and wadding up.
          i thought what the heck and ground the high spots off and finished the job. Little rough but I got it done. Click image for larger version

Name:	971F83FE-A74E-4074-9197-9649BDC9023F.jpeg
Views:	549
Size:	705.7 KB
ID:	1924316

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
            Got my radiant floor heating started Sunday and it's working great. I then decided that the expansion tank was crooked where the 45's are to keep the tank from looking level. Well I tried to force it being it's copper and had been soldered I figured it would flex the bit I wanted to realign it. Well it sprung a leak instead of moving. I just can't leave some things alone. Now I have to drain it some and repair the solder joints and then refill it with water. All because I couldn't leave it alone. dumb💩

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_164928955.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	1924282

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris
            I don’t blame you for fixing it I hate stuff that’s crooked I would have done the same thing.

Comment

I did this yesterday on the 27th. so it qualifies as a today even though I post it on the 28th. Got that! I am making a fixturing table for my drill press. After having flattened it on the shaper I wanted to true up the outside edge which was cut with a ox/ac torch. Well some how I managed to get the center hole off center by a whopping 8mm! I knew my method of finding the center on the 400mm circle was not precise but I thought maybe I was off by 1mm. It is only mounted on an arbor I turned 20mm diameter with only pressure from the nut keeping it from turning on the arbor. I couldn't take much of a cut or the table would turn on the arbor. And I have to keep the rpm's below 400 or the lathe shakes. In the video the rpm's were much slower than I ended up with at the end. I just creeped up on how fast I could go. The metal in this table has several inclusions and it played hell with my shaper tools. I am now calling this turning down a feature as it will make the table small enough that the coolant trough in the original table will now stick out enough to catch the oil from drilling operations. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
              https://youtu.be/HN9SBFSREH4

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                Banner day here.
                I totally screwed up the internal threading on a 3C collet draw nut. In the process I had to modify the internal threading tool I used and decided to use the 1/2" - 12" belt sander/air file. I only had one belt that was still a circle as the 100 others I have separated due to the glue going bad. So I spent the next 2 hours trying different methods of gluing them back together.
                In Short, today was eight steps back. 🤬
                Banner day means something Good happened today.
                Don't you mean Bonner day? That means something bad happened today.

-D
                DZER

Comment

Not a big deal but it's the first time I have stalled my lathe in the 20 years I've owned it. I was parting off a piece of 1" OD X3/4" ID steel. I was using the power feed. Once the tool got though the OD it made a horrible noise like the sound of a lot of money being spent. Then the VFD stalled and I quickly hit the off button. I was expecting to find, at cheapest, a broken tool but I didn't find any damage. I guess the feed rate was a bit fast even though I had the rpm set really low. Either that or it happened because my lazy azz was to impatient to get the part to run true. It was "close enough" at ten out.
                  Im really too impatient for this hobby 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                    Got my radiant floor heating started Sunday and it's working great. I then decided that the expansion tank was crooked where the 45's are to keep the tank from looking level. Well I tried to force it being it's copper and had been soldered I figured it would flex the bit I wanted to realign it. Well it sprung a leak instead of moving. I just can't leave some things alone. Now I have to drain it some and repair the solder joints and then refill it with water. All because I couldn't leave it alone.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris
                    Isolation valve for the expansion is a good idea, they don't last forever.
                    Did I miss it in the images, I don't see a pressure relief for the boiler?

Comment

Nothing today, but a couple months ago I did this one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200929_100911.jpg Views:	0 Size:	611.1 KB ID:	1924345

Of course it was on the very last flat just as I was about to transition to sparkout. On my grinder there's a small dial for adjusting the downfeed per table crossfeed reversal. I was about to flip from .0001" to zero, and my fat thumb did this instead:

Before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210128_085411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	866.9 KB ID:	1924346

After:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210128_085425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1924347

Both dials turned at the same time and instead of sparkout I got a .009" downfeed. DOH! I got a pretty good pair of bugeyes when I heard the wheel hit the part and the indexer slid across the magnetic chuck. Shut the longitudinal traverse off as fast as I could but it only took the one swipe to scrap the part, and it crossed 3 times before I got to the lever. Tolerance was only .00025" on a 3.3765" size, so yeah. Scrap metal. Hardened D-2 tool steel scrap metal. Not a cheap one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200929_100819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	473.4 KB ID:	1924348

​​​​
                      Last edited by eKretz; 01-28-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        I did this yesterday on the 27th. so it qualifies as a today even though I post it on the 28th. Got that! I am making a fixturing table for my drill press. After having flattened it on the shaper I wanted to true up the outside edge which was cut with a ox/ac torch. Well some how I managed to get the center hole off center by a whopping 8mm! I knew my method of finding the center on the 400mm circle was not precise but I thought maybe I was off by 1mm. It is only mounted on an arbor I turned 20mm diameter with only pressure from the nut keeping it from turning on the arbor. I couldn't take much of a cut or the table would turn on the arbor. And I have to keep the rpm's below 400 or the lathe shakes. In the video the rpm's were much slower than I ended up with at the end. I just creeped up on how fast I could go. The metal in this table has several inclusions and it played hell with my shaper tools. I am now calling this turning down a feature as it will make the table small enough that the coolant trough in the original table will now stick out enough to catch the oil from drilling operations. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
                        https://youtu.be/HN9SBFSREH4
                        Could have used one of those core drills to get the hole back to center 😉
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                          Not a big deal but it's the first time I have stalled my lathe in the 20 years I've owned it. I was parting off a piece of 1" OD X3/4" ID steel. I was using the power feed. Once the tool got though the OD it made a horrible noise like the sound of a lot of money being spent. Then the VFD stalled and I quickly hit the off button. I was expecting to find, at cheapest, a broken tool but I didn't find any damage. I guess the feed rate was a bit fast even though I had the rpm set really low. Either that or it happened because my lazy azz was to impatient to get the part to run true. It was "close enough" at ten out.
                          Im really too impatient for this hobby 😁

I absolutely love this comment. Mind if I use if from time to time?

Comment

a horrible noise like the sound of a lot of money being spent
                            Yes! This is literature. Worthy of Mark Twain or Don Marquis!
                            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by 6270 Productions View Post

I absolutely love this comment. Mind if I use if from time to time?
                              Not much I say is worth repeating so please have at it.

Comment

I single point threaded a short piece 3/4-16 but when I ran it into the mating piece, the shoulder didn't mate up flat. It was canted a few thou. At first, I thought it was the mating piece which was hand tapped, but no. Can't figure out how that is possible!

Comment

Working...
                                X