No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, this is a bad day for 3/4-16. Must be the full moon. Don't know if I mis-measured or what, but mine nearly fell through the tapped hole.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Monday.
      First of 30 parts, I had forgotten that this machine has a software quirk, programed a .020" X 45 Deg. chamfer at the start and after the last roughing pass (leaving .006" per side) it made a rapid move to the finish pass start position and cut through the part. )-:

I have had it do this before when an undercut is involved, the program was MDI.
      Did not look at the G-Code before running it.

It is supposed to look like this.

Comment

Did you try selling it to the customer as a design improvement yet?

Comment

Yup. "To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer."
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Hi reggie_obe,

That makes sense to have a isolation valve but I didn't install one. The system is a closed loop @ 40psi with no makeup water so not a lot of water should it fail. The heating source is not a boiler but a tankless electric water heater 18kw and does not require a pressure relief valve. It only heats when the pump turns on with flow, controlled by a temp control remote bulb in a sleeve in the slab.

Thanks for commenting.

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris .

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
              Yup. "To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer."
              Several months ago.
              Ran the first part without a hitch, the thread was the last operation. As soon as the threading began it was "oh shiat" time.
              Was supposed to be left handed, I programmed it right to left out of habit, 90% of thread work here is right handed.

Fortunately low dollar small diameter 6061 aluminum parts.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of trepanning lately and this screw up happened when I was machining a part for the my recently posted Tree Ram repair. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ir-photo-heavy

Anyway, I needed a 7 1/8" X 1" thick disc to make a Tee ring. In my stash of treasures I had a flame cut 8" X 1" disc of unknown material (probably A36) that would do the job so I drilled a hole in it and bored it out to 1", made an arbor, ground a trepanning tool and went after it. As you might have already guessed it was tough going. Probably took me an hour or more including several tool sharpening stops. When I was done I measured the disc and it was 1/4" too small in diameter. I hate it when this happens.

Photo just before breaking through

Comment

Today I had too many to talk about so I'm not going to talk about them.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                    Today I had too many to talk about so I'm not going to talk about them.
                    Ha!Ha! now that's funny. I've days like that too.

Comment

I agree, this thread is a winner!

Comment

When I screw up I try to remind myself that we learn by our failures, not our successes 😑
                        Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                        Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Oh gosh, I kinda glad I dont have a camera on the lathe. A good thing my lathe can't talk!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                            I've been doing a lot of trepanning lately and this screw up happened when I was machining a part for the my recently posted Tree Ram repair. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ir-photo-heavy

Anyway, I needed a 7 1/8" X 1" thick disc to make a Tee ring. In my stash of treasures I had a flame cut 8" X 1" disc of unknown material (probably A36) that would do the job so I drilled a hole in it and bored it out to 1", made an arbor, ground a trepanning tool and went after it. As you might have already guessed it was tough going. Probably took me an hour or more including several tool sharpening stops. When I was done I measured the disc and it was 1/4" too small in diameter. I hate it when this happens.
                            Whoops.

Any particular reason for not holding that with outside jaws? I don't think that it would have chattered then.

Today at work I fumble fingered the mic at the lathe and dropped it about a foot into the sheetmetal chip pan. Starrett 1-2, smooth finish, friction thimble. I emailed the inspection guy to let him know I may have knocked a calibrated mic out.

Then doing some machining at home I had my mic sitting on the lathe saddle. Dumb place, I know. Starrett 1-2, smooth finish, friction thimble. Can you see where this is going? Except it didn't fall in the chip pan, it vibrated off to the floor. Hit hard, now reads 4 tenths out. I guess I bent it. Shame as the anvils will never line up quite right again. It was bang on on calibration and in prefect shape as well. There is my screw ups of today.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Yesterday was typical. Three "job" distraction all gone to the dogs.
                              I drilled the collet alignment hole in the 3C collet block crooked. Must have had something in the vise that made the part crooked. This made the reamer crooked so again, I hear the sound of money being spent with the snap of the reamer. I put aside as opposed to send it through the shop wall.
                              Then I FAILED AGAIN at gluing the 1/2x12 sanding belt but, before doing so, I positioned two task lights over the belt to help the heat from the bulbs cure the glue. One lamp had a jacked up socket so I decided to replace it with a ceramic socket. I was desoldering the wire stubs from the ceramic socket I pirated from another lamp and the socket slipped when the solder joint let go and the ceramic socket hit the concrete floor and broke into three pieces. I just laughed.
                              I agree, for the most part, that every failure is a step toward success BUT this isn't always the case. If it were then I'd be one of the most successful people in the world 😊

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                                Then doing some machining at home I had my mic sitting on the lathe saddle. Dumb place, I know. Starrett 1-2, smooth finish, friction thimble. Can you see where this is going? Except it didn't fall in the chip pan, it vibrated off to the floor. Hit hard, now reads 4 tenths out. I guess I bent it. Shame as the anvils will never line up quite right again. It was bang on on calibration and in prefect shape as well. There is my screw ups of today.
                                Actually, that should satisfy your quota for some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X