No announcement yet.

What did you screw up today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm whittling up a small live center for the lathe as the big one gets in the way when working on small parts. It's going to be a variant of one of the later vids by Joe Pie. Got the radio on, coffee full, cutting 17ph for the center pointy part to .01mm for a slip fit in the bearings. Right, got that slip fit perfect. Now for the body. The lathe is a little SB9 with a mt3 in the spindle. The part to machine is mt2 to fit the tailstock. I grab the adapter I've used dozens of times to do the boring in the mt2 part.. Idiot. That mt3 adapter is for the collets, not a 3 to 2 adapter. Hello evilbay and $8 later it's on order. With rona it'll be a while before it arrives.

edit:
    Being an effin rocket scientist,,, I just figured I can grab the big end with the 4 jaw chuck and do my work. But being a stubborn idiot the light went on too late and I'll wait for the 3-2 adapter. I mean I'm not spending the princely sum of $8 for nothing.
    Double edit: Cartoon definitely not to scale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	centre.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	368.5 KB ID:	1929119
    Last edited by I make chips; 02-18-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Nothing recently, but made some parts for my old boss, and it turns out that the device they are for does not work, so he's in re-design mode.

He wants one of them considerably larger than what it was on the drawing...... I guess that means the 3 thou (over) that I left but missed noticing on that part is not gonna be an issue....๐Ÿ˜

What's even more fun is that he wanted a press fit (on a 5mm shaft... that's a couple tenths !) and wanted me to press it onto the shaft of the encoder.... Which I did, I had to heat it a bit to get it to go on, I don't think that is gonna come off very easily...... and it covers the entire exposed shaft, I wonder if he is gonna want that removed?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ถ
      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

• Nuff sed. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210219_183652895.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	1929312

Comment

• Originally posted by challenger View Post
          Nuff sed.
          Oh, $#it..... been there done that, did you end up wearing any of it?

Comment

• Yup Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210222_183418697.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	1930149 , did this twice today?

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Oh, $#it..... been there done that, did you end up wearing any of it?
              No but it was a bad deal. The part I was grinding got jammed between the table and platen
              Made a really bad noise and obviously made the belt go bye bye.

Comment

• that's a neat trick Bented, worth filing away.

I haven't screwed anything up today as I haven't done anything I'm storing up all my screw ups for when I get back in the garage.

Comment

• Ugh, I can't believe I just did that.
                  Did you ever make something very accurately, precisely, and completely wrong??
                  I was making an ER32 collet chuck for the lathe, was threading M40-1.5. Had the 48-tooth stud gear, and used the chart to set the gearbox. All of my other dimensions were within .0005 (measured). Spindle nose threads were a Class 3 fit --- no play or wobble whatsoever, moved freely by hand.

Problem: after I had my beautiful OD threads cut, I discovered that I had not installed the 127/100 translation gear.

My M1.5 threads were something else (probably 16 TPI)

A days work just went into the scrap pile.

Meanwhile waiting on the collet nut and wrench from Mari Tool.
                  Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 02-23-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                    Ugh, I can't believe I just did that.
                    Did you ever make something very accurately, precisely, and completely wrong??
                    I was making an ER32 collet chuck for the lathe, was threading M40-1.5. Had the 48-tooth stud gear, and used the chart to set the gearbox. All of my other dimensions were within .0005 (measured). Spindle nose threads were a Class 3 fit --- no pay or wobble whatsoever, moved freely by hand.

Problem: after I had my beautiful OD threads cut, I discovered that I had not installed the 127/100 translation gear.

My M1.5 threads were something else (probably 16 TPI)

A days work just went into the scrap pile.

Meanwhile waiting on the collet nut and wrench from Mari Tool.
                    Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You forgot the scratch pass and thread pitch check it seems.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You forgot the scratch pass and thread pitch check it seems.
                      Nope, I did them and it looked "close". But as the thread got deeper, the less the gauge fit.... 16 TPI is close enough by eye that it's hard to tell from M1.5.

Comment

• Left a 2โ€™ starret rule on the chop saw table, it ainโ€™t 2โ€™ anymore
                        mark

Comment

• Left a 2โ€™ starret rule on the chop saw table, it ainโ€™t 2โ€™ anymore
                          If I did that it would also have rust from the tears.
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

If I did that it would also have rust from the tears.
                            I heard that the only difference between a cheap tool and an expensive tool, is the sound the owner makes when it hits a concrete floor.

Comment

• I broke dropbox. Feelin' pretty good about that!
                              rusting in Seattle

Comment

• I must admit I am sad, now Iโ€™ve seen the price of a new one
                                mark

Comment

Working...
                                X