Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazz
    replied
    I modified a motorcycle part for a friends chopper project. I had to turn a shaft to .875 to accept a tapered roller bearing and thread the end 7/8-14.for 1". No problem. When I single point, I cut it close and then clean up with a die but I didn't have a 7/8-14 die so I ordered one from A-zon and had it the next day. Clamped the part in the vise and applied some tap magic and started the die which took to the threads readily as I figured I was close. Then the die started to turn a bit harder but was was moving down the shaft like it was supposed. The force required became less as I moved along until I ran out of thread. Backed the die off only to find the first 1/2" of threads were essentially gone! It looked like part had been put in a lathe and turned to leave only a hint of the the threads. I can't understand how that might have happened. Actually, a possible cause just dawned on me so I have to go to the shop to check the die.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    The lower bearing seized in the pump for my Watts zero waste Ro system, that also let the smoke out of the 24V power supply for it. 😐
    While pulling it apart I broke the plate that holds the brushes, I know better too. 😑
    I fixed it with some JB weld, a new bearing and power supply.
    Cheers,
    jon
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Making the lever for the Levin drill press, I drilled the clamp screw for 10-24 instead of 8-32. I was sure I would break into the shaft hole when threading, but it did not.

By way of compensation, I lined up the slitting saw perfectly. Then I noticed that is seemed loose when I started the cut. Yep, it was, so now the clamp slot is off-center just enough to notice. I did want the lever as perfect as possible, since it is a Levin, but I'm not making another one.
    I looked up Levin Drill Press,those are real cool and very pricey,does yours have OEM Motor.Interesting how table elevates rather than Quill.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    I've got a round plastic wastepaper basket (bin) in my workshop. Stuff fell over and shattered it. I borrowed one from another room pending the opportunity to replace it. The very next day, some clamps slid off the bench and shattered the new one. They're not even that easy to break, it has to have hit it at just the right angle. Bin number three is looking very nervous now!

Also: Width != Depth At least not once you've started cutting features into it while it's effectively sideways *facepalm*

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Making the lever for the Levin drill press, I drilled the clamp screw for 10-24 instead of 8-32. I was sure I would break into the shaft hole when threading, but it did not.

By way of compensation, I lined up the slitting saw perfectly. Then I noticed that is seemed loose when I started the cut. Yep, it was, so now the clamp slot is off-center just enough to notice. I did want the lever as perfect as possible, since it is a Levin, but I'm not making another one.

Leave a comment:

• RB140
    replied
    Originally posted by RMinMN View Post

That is a misquote. It should have been, "some people learn from their mistakes". I've watched enough Youtube videos to realize that some people just don't have the ability to learn from mistakes and make them over and over.🙄
    Well it has been said you can't fix stupid

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

What that endmill must have cost!! And the anguish that you must have felt as it was headed to the floor!!
    I only paid about £8 for it, about 1/10 of its standard price, but it still caused momentary consternation. I have about 10 of them, different lengths and flute counts all brand new bought a couple at a time from an ebay seller. The last pair were 16mm 2 flute ballnosed, about 3 1/2" long. I keep an eye out for his sales.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    ................. (Yes, I'm painfully aware this is a 1st world problem)
    Maybe it is not so "first world".

Out in the boonies of Africa, there are not many banks. BUT a lot of people have smart phones even there. So there is apparently money transfer via smart phone, even in what is otherwise a very third world area. I admit to being surprised, but it makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• RMinMN
    replied
    Originally posted by RB140 View Post
    It was stated in an earlier post you learn by your mistakes well what I have learned by now I must be a genius
    That is a misquote. It should have been, "some people learn from their mistakes". I've watched enough Youtube videos to realize that some people just don't have the ability to learn from mistakes and make them over and over.🙄

Leave a comment:

• RB140
    replied
    It was stated in an earlier post you learn by your mistakes well what I have learned by now I must be a genius

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    a 16mm 8 flute new solid carbide endmill 5" long ...
    The endmill bounced off the bed, and onto the concrete floor nose down. ...
    What that endmill must have cost!! And the anguish that you must have felt as it was headed to the floor!!

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    I managed to drill and tap 2 holes and half drill a third in a steel plate in the wrong position, my fault entirely. Fortunately, they are well out of position and their presence does not make re drilling a bother.
    The good luck I had today was tightening a 16mm 8 flute new solid carbide endmill 5" long by hand into the er25 holder in the mill, Fitting the spanners on and turning them the wrong way. The endmill bounced off the bed, and onto the concrete floor nose down. I hadn't taken off the dip coating and nothing was harmed.
    Last edited by old mart; 03-03-2022, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Turns out, I'm not done yet! Got the last of the condensation dried out and stuck the back on again. Not quite got it perfectly aligned so I heated it again to take the back off and try again. The adhesive let go suddenly at one end and not the other and the back plate shattered. Back to the 2014 phone until parts arrive I guess. (Yes, I'm painfully aware this is a 1st world problem)

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    I have a compound screw-up for you. I've got one of those 4-sided (cheap) diamond plate sharpeners that sit in a box/holder. I've previously used it with oil and enough had accumulated in the bottom that the lowest face gets covered - which sort of works out quite well. Anyway, that was on a shelf and somehow got knocked over without me noticing. So there's thick brown oil over the shelf, down the side, between the shelf and the supports, dripping on things below That's one.
    In starting to clean up, also now on my trousers. That's two.
    Went in, emptied my wallet, keys etc out of my pocket, changed, and threw them in the washing machine in the hope it would come out if I was quick. Went back to cleaning up. Hmmm, my phone isn't in my pocket....oh now, I couldn't have....yup! *sigh* Not only that but it came out the pocket and cracked the glass as it repeatedly impacted round the drum. It STARTED as IP-rated!
    Turns out that the heated bed of a 3D printer is good for loosening the glue that holds the rear cover on so you can get it apart to get the water dried out. I've nearly got everything functional again

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    It has been 2 decades since I had one that didn't. I have 5 in current use, plus the big guy posted above.
    I only mention it in case someone wasn't aware that there were alternatives to letting a UPS run its batteries flat (and decimating their lifespan).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X