Rebuilt directional drill road boring head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt directional drill road boring head

The threads were wore out on my drill head, I welded it up a year ago finely got around to finishing it. It turned out 98% perfect it likes about .015 of getting tight linear. I have been bluing it but haven’t figured it out yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	ACB32261-DC30-4BA7-8C79-792C2D609D3F.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	1924493 Click image for larger version

Name:	D66CF2CE-5A93-482B-9DAC-BF29640915B4.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	685.0 KB
ID:	1924494

nice threads, what rod did you use to build it back up? Jim

Comment

Nardini lathe. Nice.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

That has to be an interesting story...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1924526

Comment

That crash was done before I bought it, its ugly but don’t seem to hurt it.

I used 70,000 MiG

love the nardini, I used the 9” Southbend the other day, first time in a couple of years. Seemed like a child’s toy after using the nardini.

Comment

Nice repair and very clean thread. When you said "It turned out 98% perfect it likes about .015 of getting tight linear." I assume you meant it lacks about 0.015 of getting tight linear. What size Nardini do you have? Seems the few people that have one like them but I've never asked why. So why do you like your Nardini?

Comment

Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
              nice threads, what rod did you use to build it back up? Jim
              You have never hit the chuck jaws with the compound?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWI View Post
                That has to be an interesting story...

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1924526
                I did a similar injury to my old Sheldon lathe. Knocked the corner off, just like that. No recollection of the particulars, just got too close. It lived many decades and I was the dope that did that. I got over it pretty quickly, stuck the piece back on with epoxy or something for cosmetic purposes and got on with my life. Battle scars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

I have messed up a lot of stuff in my day, but I have never crashed the chuck into the compound.

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                    Nice repair and very clean thread. When you said "It turned out 98% perfect it likes about .015 of getting tight linear." I assume you meant it lacks about 0.015 of getting tight linear. What size Nardini do you have? Seems the few people that have one like them but I've never asked why. So why do you like your Nardini?
                    I have a 14x40 Nardini, I haven’t run very many lathes, but going from my southbend 9” it is night and day difference. Wide speed range from 25 to 2500 RPMs heavy and rigid and just nice to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

I don’t know if I ever hit the compound but I will admit on one of the lathes at work I was doing something that didn’t involve the carriage, most likely drilling something with the tailstock.

Well the lever for the longitudinal feed must have got bumped and I didn’t realize that the carriage was feeding towards the chuck until the triangle facing insert feed right into it and made a nice groove.

It didn’t do any real damage other than put a nice battle scar into the chuck.

Comment

When I got the Nardini I was scared of it. I had never run a lathe more powerful than the southbend. Going from 1/2 HP to 6 HP was quite a step for me.
                        with the southbend if something got hung up it would throw the flat belt, God only knows what would happen if you got the Nardini hung up, something is gonna break.

Comment

The pop stop for the power feed is a very nice feature on a Nardini.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_2021-01-29-21-12-55.png
Views:	143
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	1924661 Do you mean a set able stop that kicks carriage feed out ?
                            My lathe, not a Nardini has a 5 or 6 position stop system, it stops feed... tool stays where it is ..
                            Last edited by 754; 01-30-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I got it figured out, fits perfect. Click image for larger version

Name:	BA6F17A1-FF44-477D-9BE2-206E38439D1B.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	755.3 KB
ID:	1924978

Comment

Working...
                              X