New LED shop lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LED shop lights.

I was playing with a current probe in my breaker panel to see where my major power draws were and found that the lights in my shop were pulling 10 amps. Yikes. I guess its not surprising, there is a 8' T12HO, a 4' T12HO, 4' fluorescent, 2x 175w metal halide, and a 250 metal halide spot. So I grabbed a pack of 10 led fixtures. I looked at upgrading the existing fixtures to led but it is just not cost effective. I used 9 of the 10 and am pulling about 1/3 the power at 3 amps, I still have a 70w metal halide spot over the lathe.

Its brighter and a lot less dark corners like I had with the mish-mash of other fixtures. And no warm up time.

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815-9CE16E86-F52E-401F-A4A8-50E0DF9345C4.jpeg
Views:	463
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1924971

After:

Name:	IMG_1207.jpeg
Views:	452
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	1924972

Name:	IMG_1200.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	1924973

Welcome to the 21st century. Save money and have MUCH better light. Win, WIN, WIN!

My story was pretty much the same and I found that even though I used the same old cheap home-shop type light fixtures with the new LED bulbs, all my problems with flickering and troublesome lights are now a thing of the past. I have not had even a single problem in the past years using the LED replacement tubes in the old, cheap fixtures. NONE! And that is perhaps the greatest joy of it all. I did go to the trouble of removing the ballasts which provided maximum efficiency.

Now I am making some new hanging lights to allow good lighting when I make videos in the shop. And they will all be LEDs too. They will be easily positioned to allow light to be properly brought into even the slightly dark areas, like under a shelf or the head of my mill or drill press. I even have one that is attached to a leg of my camera tripod so the light can come from below if needed.

Hot Dog!
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 01-31-2021, 03:48 AM.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Oh, these are the lamps I used, $130 for 10 with all the hardware needed to install. The clips are not the greatest though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B44WG93/

Comment

the lights look good.....is the teleporter in the background?
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Do they only make these in the 4 foot lites or do they also have 8 foot ? If you do the LED replacement bulbs is it a big deal to change over all the fixtures and do they give you the instructions as to how to go about the change over. I was interested in the 8 foot because I have 5 8 foot fixtures in my shop areas.
          John From Slinger, Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
            Do they only make these in the 4 foot lites or do they also have 8 foot ? If you do the LED replacement bulbs is it a big deal to change over all the fixtures and do they give you the instructions as to how to go about the change over. I was interested in the 8 foot because I have 5 8 foot fixtures in my shop areas.
            Here is the 8' version. https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Fixtu.../dp/B07JVXLQ8R $130 for 6 so you actually get 8 more feet of lighting for the same price, though for my setup the 4' were the best option. I still have one 4' set aside I am going to hang over my cutting table.

Hah, those are my vacuum systems I need to finish.

-Jerry

Comment

Same experience here. I replaced all of my 4' tubes with LED units. I also used the type that require removing the ballasts. 100% worth the trouble. I have not had to replace any in the couple of years since I put them in, get better lighting and they are instantly at full brightness. Prices for them have come down some as well. I had planned to buy a few at a time and replace the fluorescent tubes as they failed, but after putting the first few in I just but enough to replace them all. A very worthwhile swap.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                Oh, these are the lamps I used, $130 for 10 with all the hardware needed to install. The clips are not the greatest though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B44WG93/
                Ignoring any "value added" to the improved lighting, what is the payback period of the new fixtures?

Comment

I'd dearly love to switch the ones in the garage/shop but those 8 ft ones at over $20 per are just not "financially" justified. I have 4, 8' two tube fixtures and the light is fine only problem is the cold start up, especially in the winter.
                  ...lew...

Comment

I looked at the retrofit but it was just too expensive. And time xonsuming to rewrite the fixtures. I had these all up in about an hour. Maybe less. That’s ibxldung taking the old ones down.

payback time is pretty quick. The lamps in the two 175s were in their way out and at $20-25 a piece that’s 1/3rd the way there. The other lamps were starting to degrade in output too and it’s getting g more difficult to find the f96t12ho lamps and when you do you have to buy a case at about $45. Same thing with the others. I really can’t figure the power savings because I really don’t know how much I was using before in lighting.
                    Last edited by macona; 01-31-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

In a cold garage shop, the LEDs are WAY better. Instant on, no warm up needed, and the light is very even. I have 6 of these spaced evenly in my 2.5 car garage and there is no lack of light anywhere. Started with the first directly above the lathe. Found that I really stopped using my task light. Added 5 more and one over the workbench that I used only when working on something needing real bright light on the bench. Even if they ran at the same cost as the old florescent lights, which they don't even come close, it is still a good move. Mine are on 16 hours per day. 3rd year, and no issues. Highly recommended.
                      S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                        I'd dearly love to switch the ones in the garage/shop but those 8 ft ones at over $20 per are just not "financially" justified. I have 4, 8' two tube fixtures and the light is fine only problem is the cold start up, especially in the winter.
                        ...lew...
                        put some tube covers on the lamps. They will warm up a lot faster in cold weather. We had to do this with instant start fluorescent lamps in cold areas when I used to do commercial lighting.

I can say I don’t miss the 60hz hum from the old lights. Slimline lamps like you have were the worst for that.

Comment

$$$. I have 4'and T-8 and 18 of them. Id love to switch to LED but that would be a pretty penny.
                          Maybe when the looting gets bad enough I'll hunt for a bargain?? 😏

Comment

I also have four 8 foot two tube HO fixtures in my garage. Yeah that's about 1300 watts including ballast losses. Last year I tried to replace these 100 watt tubes with LED jobbies but got confused and frustrated trying to mentally juggle the lumens vs color. I don't like 5000K as it's too blue. So 4000 it is but then what I found had lower lumens. Like I know one lumen from another....
                            I got frustrated and I just replaced the 45 year old spotty tar transformer ballasts that were the real reason for going into them with the newer solid state type that weighs a fraction of the old ones. I picked up some efficiency but nothing to get excited about. Spose I'll limp along feeding them the old style tubes. I think I can get them at Home Despot for around $8-10 each.

I'm sure these old power sucking glow tubes will be obsoleted one of these days. Then I'll just tear out the fixtures and start over.

Comment

Man, those Halide lamps were a bonafied heat source !! !
                              Your power bill will me thanking you.

I recognize that collet rack.
                              B & W pictures of that close up could win a photo contest.
                              For real. Maybe that Mike Savad guy could take a photo for you.

-Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X