Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing, Macona's shop looks just like mine. lol

Comment

Do you get a good sunburn off those industrial lights with the transformers?? I've never seen those light mounted at that level. Usually their 30 ft. up on girders. Warehouses and factories.

JL..............

Comment

New contest! "How many of a list of items can you find in this shop picture?" Start with the easy ones, like "pumpkin" and "Arm and Hammer Baking soda box" and move on to "Two hacksaws".

Extra points the more obscure the item is! Also, yes, a vertical band saw table is really just another useful horizontal surface! (I have a couple myself!)
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

LED is definitely the way to go. When I wired the new shop which is 30x48 I decided to go with three rows of five lengthwise using 8 foot fixtures. Each fixture takes four of the 4 foot lamps. You can buy strip lighting without the blast and pre-wired for the LED bulbs which is what these were. In my case we installed 60 Keystone Direct Drive 15 watt T8 LEDs. So I've got a ton of light in the shop for just 900 watts. Nice thing is when one does finally burn out you can replace it no fuss. Sorry I don't have a cost it was included in a package to install the meter base, disconnect and service panel.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I have to ask macona what kind of motor is on your Supermax Milling Machine and was curious what Brand is that Green Vertical Bandsaw,looks sturdy.

Comment

I have a 24' x 28' shop and I have eight 8' double tube fixtures and two 4' double tube fixtures and it's ok and I also have a repurposed four bulb light bar above my lathe that I have LED bulbs in and a 4' single tube LED fixture (it's quite bright) above my wash tank and a double bulb (300W each IIRC) halogen light fixture above my mill and I still wouldn't mind more light!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                New contest! "How many of a list of items can you find in this shop picture?" Start with the easy ones, like "pumpkin" and "Arm and Hammer Baking soda box" and move on to "Two hacksaws".

Extra points the more obscure the item is! Also, yes, a vertical band saw table is really just another useful horizontal surface! (I have a couple myself!)
                Where's Waldo?

Comment

I have some leds up in my shop, and I won't look back. They light instantly every time, and where the old lights in that area wanted 120 watts, the just as bright leds take only 30 watts.

This house had several screw-in fixtures, so as the bulbs went out I replaced them with screw-in led 'bulbs'. I've bought dozens of them in warm white and daylight, and I like a mixture of them. I did the same with the 4 ft fluoro tubes, one dayglow and one warm white tube. I find that to be quite pleasant. I'm slowly getting all the tubes phased out.

Some of you might recall that I researched and bought many of the screw-in led bulbs so I could take them apart and use the led decks separately. I made up a complete system of stage lighting using those- each deck gets its own heatsink and mounting hardware, and can have color filters in front of them. I try to use warm whites with red, orange, and yellow filters, and daylight leds with blue, green, and purple filters. One system I built for my shop uses the little power supplies that drive the led decks, but the ones I prefer use 110vac direct to the led decks. I recently built a back lighting system for some large stained glass windows I put up in the pub. Sixteen of the 10 watt decks in that- spread out along two sides of some aluminum tubing. Good dispersion, and man is it bright-
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Bought a led flood for over the lathe, it bloody strobes, annoys me, do the tube format ones do that?
                    mark

Comment

'it strobes'. I just replaced one screw-in that was strobing on me. It started by strobing for just a second or two, yesterday it went on for about 1 minute. I'm going to pull that one apart, and I expect the problem to be with the switching power supply in it. I'm not going to repair it- I just want to know whether the led deck is at fault or not.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        Man, those Halide lamps were a bonafied heat source !! !
                        Your power bill will me thanking you.

I recognize that collet rack.
                        B & W pictures of that close up could win a photo contest.
                        For real. Maybe that Mike Savad guy could take a photo for you.

-Doozer
                        i have use the shop for photo shoots many times actually.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Do you get a good sunburn off those industrial lights with the transformers?? I've never seen those light mounted at that level. Usually their 30 ft. up on girders. Warehouses and factories.

JL..............
                          nah. The outer glass envelope on the lamp is what filters out all the uv. That coupled with the plastic diffuser means there is no chance of a sunburn. There have been cases where open fixtures had the outer bulb on the halide lamp break in a gym. They just swept up the glass and then a bunch of people got sunburn from us exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            Bought a led flood for over the lathe, it bloody strobes, annoys me, do the tube format ones do that?
                            mark
                            No flicker at all on mine. That would drive me absolutely crazy.
                            Mike
                            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I just did this too. Went from 6 fluorescent fixtures to 8 LED. My draw now is about 3 amps also. And the instant on at full brightness is much nicer. I had tube covers on all my fluorescents but they still don't warm up very fast when the garage is at maintenance heat level (40° F).

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Lol, I was wondering if anyone would notice the pumpkin. Its leftover from a halloween shoot from this fall. Keeping it there until I do something with it because it is nice and cool which makes them last. Ive mentioned this before but I do a lot of photography on the side. I have been published in print and web in magazines and comic books. Link here but it you can't handle some PG-13 content then don't click. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

The bandsaw is a Delta Rockwell 14" metal/wood saw with the built in gearbox. Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X